Menu

Dances, Prom, Clubs, etc.

I'm feeling a bit down because there is no homeschooling group around me that offers any sort of activities for my teen. I want her to go to a dance or two. Holiday parties. Etc. Besides getting invited by a public school friend, what can we do?

Does this bother anyone else, or do you just chalk it up to being something they won't experience?

More than anything she wants to be in clubs. Newspaper, art, drawing. We thought about starting a virtual newspaper or yearbook for homeschooled teens. Or even some virtual clubs?

Dances and proms? Meh. As a teen, I thought they were horrid, so I don't figure my kids are missing out. They've never shared any desire to go.

Clubs? What kinds of things can you find? Can you drive to a larger city? How about looking into 4-H? Your library may have some sort of youth program, which is often more popular with homeschoolers. Our local daily newspaper has a section for and by teens with an annual staff that often includes a homeschooler or two.

Do you have any type of local homeschool group where you might find what other kids are interested in and start your own club?

Your daughter may join some clubs based on availability rather than her first interest. My kids have done a combination, including:

ice skating (long term)

horseback riding (long term lessons)

rec league sports (both regular rec league and homeschool rec league)

church youth group

Civil Air Patrol

chess club

While my ds didn't join a drawing club, he took group art lessons and enjoyed the other kids.

Good luck!

My kids kind of withdrew from the homeschool scene when they entered high school -- they had their own interests and they didn't have time to just hang out.

They pursued --

Civil Air Patrol

Toastmasters

music groups

volunteering

church activities

their own interests (which sometimes led to participation at a statewide or national level)

My kids never did a lot of hanging out with other teens. I think that is the downside (or upside) of homeschooling.

I would encourage your kids to figure out an interest they want to pursue and then try to find an organization that supports that interest. If they really can't find an organization, maybe they can start teaching classes in the area to younger homeschoolers!

I hate to be this person, since I never find the advice especially helpful, but can you start your own stuff?

Help your daughter plan a party (with dancing) to celebrate a holiday or a milestone in her life or her education. This plan has the advantage of not requiring a large group of homeschoolers, since she could just invite all of the teens she knows.

Go ahead and start that virtual newspaper or club. The last year my daughter was home before college, we started a newsletter for our homeschool group, of which she was the editor. If you're in touch with any other homeschoolers in your area, your daughter could do the same, put out a request for stories about what homeschoolers (of all ages, even) in your area are doing and then send out the newsletter by e-mail. It would be essentially free and might even help her form closer ties with other kids.

Are you guys active in a church? My teens have found good friends and fun activities through our church's youth groups. They plan at least a couple of big, fun events every year, in addition to meeting for social stuff a couple of times a month.

No, it won't be "the same" as going to school, but I don't think that has to mean it's not enough.

Have you checked with any private schools in the area? Ours include hs kids in a lot of their activities.

A family I know started having a prom/formal. It has been a huge hit. It's held in their church gym. The cost is just enough to cover expenses. They sent out RSVP invites through Yahoo groups, word of mouth, etc. They have rules that have to be signed when money is sent in (behavior, dress, etc).

There is a significant local enewspaper where we live called The Patch. They do daily emails about local happenings as well as reporting on local events. I met a girl a couple months back who had earned quite a bit writing articles for them. Gave her real world writing experience, opportunities to interview people and a good bit of spending money.

Your dd might try looking for something similar.

Great ideas!

I used to run a homeschool group, but we've moved and I don't know ANYONE around that homeschools. My oldest isn't interested in dances or parties at all, but my 12 year old definitely is. They have neighborhood friends, but they really want to talk with other homeschooled kids.

I think I will try to start a virtual paper or magazine, and the oldest says she's interested in a virtual Japanese club. Too bad I know NOTHING about Japan to really set that up.

My younger two want to do a virtual chess club (playing chess online).

I just wish these things were set up already. LOL

If anyone else is interested in helping we work out the details of some virtual activities, please let me know. I've only done "real life" stuff, and have no idea how I'm going to set up a virtual version.

Can you look for private schools in the area that allow homeschoolers to participate? My dd is singing in the chorus at a local Christian school and attended Cotillion class and went to her first dance to finalize the Cotillion class. I love to show off pictures, so I'm attaching a couple! :D

Could you start some kind of community club that doesn't have to be all homeschoolers? Maybe something that would meet after school or in the evening? You might could get a local newspaper to even help support one about the news. You might could start a chess club at your local library, and again, have it at hours that schooled children could come.

Why not start a social group for homeschooled teens? It doesn't have to be hard to run, the teens can do most of it themselves. They can have a weekly meet up to socialize (wandering the mall works as well as anything and is weather appropriate), do some community service projects, and have holiday parties and such!

Our local teen group does this - the Halloween Ball was in the club house/community room at one of the teen's housing development, and was AWESOME.

If you see a need, why not fill it?

Ok, edited now that I see it is the 12 year old. Perfect. Start a middle school group! That is what our group started as, and now it is 6-9th grade. We plan to add a grade a year, but siblings are always welcome. I found people by joining homeschool groups online, checking yahoo and facebook, and posted about the group. It spread pretty quickly via word of mouth.

Oh, and easier to do on Facebook than yahoo....people tend to check facebook more.

Edited by ktgrok

Can you look for private schools in the area that allow homeschoolers to participate? My dd is singing in the chorus at a local Christian school and attended Cotillion class and went to her first dance to finalize the Cotillion class. I love to show off pictures, so I'm attaching a couple! :D

Could you start some kind of community club that doesn't have to be all homeschoolers? Maybe something that would meet after school or in the evening? You might could get a local newspaper to even help support one about the news. You might could start a chess club at your local library, and again, have it at hours that schooled children could come.

What a pretty girl!

I'm writing down all your ideas. I wish I knew other homeschooled kids in the area. I think I'll make some calls Monday. Maybe I'll put an ad in the local paper too.

Is there any kind of a wider area email list you could post on? In my area there is one list that covers a couple counties (which are smaller than Ohio counties) and another one specific to my county. I've seen lots of people post announcements for smaller, shorter duration groups for a specific area.

Another idea is to ask your librarians if you can post a public announcement on their community board. Or you could hold a meeting in a library meeting room and ask the library to include it in their schedule.

Is there any kind of a wider area email list you could post on? In my area there is one list that covers a couple counties (which are smaller than Ohio counties) and another one specific to my county. I've seen lots of people post announcements for smaller, shorter duration groups for a specific area.

Another idea is to ask your librarians if you can post a public announcement on their community board. Or you could hold a meeting in a library meeting room and ask the library to include it in their schedule.

Yes, I was going to also suggest letting your librarians know. I work at our library, and while we have an official "board" (that no one probably looks at), we would be able to let people know, and we'd likely put a flyer right on our counter where other hsers will easily see it (even though that's not really allowed per policy). I've also kept flyers for used curriculum sales behind the counter, passing them out to hsers when they check out.

Funny this comes up here on the list today, as we have 4 that are middle school aged and 3 just went to Church camp this week where they had a "dance" of sorts and the kids all talked a lot about it, how much fun it was, how boys and girls didn't really want to dance with each other yet but everyone had a good time laughing and dancing all together. It brought sharply into focus what they are missing by being homeschooled.

The car got quiet and I asked if they ever thought they'd like to return to public school so they wouldn't miss out on those sorts of things. Quickly and immediately all said "No way!" and that although it was fun with THESE kids, where there was no pressure and nothing at all that would be inappropriate, they all knew from experience and conversations that this would NOT be the case at school events, and they wanted nothing to do with that scene.

We have found our church to be super supportive of our kids being homeschooled, and they could easily ask to work and on the newsletter if they so desired. My son at 12 was allowed on the building and grounds committee and takes it seriously, participates in meetings, etc. and helps make plans. That same son is in Civil Air Patrol and loves it! My others are not interested in Scouts or 4H stuff, but we have done cake decorating classes at a local adult group, art classes (and separate mentors) outside of our home, TaeKwonDo with a big ceremony 3 times a year for belt tests, our Women's Union invited our kids to put on a musical program for their Christmas lunch this past year, and we are trying to set up a taxidermy class for my 10 year old son!

To make it feel more like school and so there will be a sense of having some of the same experiences, we have already had TShirts made (I found a place online) which say "LaJoy Academy - Where Knowledge is Power!" and we wear them when we go on field trips together (It also helps ensure discounts!). The kids love them and they were a great investment. We will be doing class rings for them, and have even decided to do letterman jackets uponachievement of black belt in TKD, or a year of B average or higher, or some other bigger achievement we all agree is worthy. We are working together to save for a trip to Europe five years from now when our first graduates high school.

There are things you can do to create a sense of belonging, you just have to get creative about it! We also have watched a couple shows with high school type events (real life shows) and the kids have been a little surprised at what the atmosphere is really like versus in the movies...not at all what it is portrayed so innocently to be.

Cindy

Great ideas!

I used to run a homeschool group, but we've moved and I don't know ANYONE around that homeschools. My oldest isn't interested in dances or parties at all, but my 12 year old definitely is. They have neighborhood friends, but they really want to talk with other homeschooled kids.

I think I will try to start a virtual paper or magazine, and the oldest says she's interested in a virtual Japanese club. Too bad I know NOTHING about Japan to really set that up.

My younger two want to do a virtual chess club (playing chess online).

I just wish these things were set up already. LOL

If anyone else is interested in helping we work out the details of some virtual activities, please let me know. I've only done "real life" stuff, and have no idea how I'm going to set up a virtual version.

Both my boys are teengeeks. I'll ask them if they know of anything already out there. My youngest loves chess and I'm sure he'd love to be part of a virtual hs chess club if we could figure out how to do it.

Both my boys are teengeeks. I'll ask them if they know of anything already out there. My youngest loves chess and I'm sure he'd love to be part of a virtual hs chess club if we could figure out how to do it.

I started a group on chess.com: http://www.chess.com/groups/home/homeschool-chess

I'm not sure if it could work. I'm reading more about it and if the kids could challenge each other.

We have struggled with these issues from time to time, but have gotten by, but dd insisted this year she go to prom. She is a junior and 16 and really wanted to go. The ps said no, however they offered that she can attend as a guest. She is on swim team and could have done this, but here is how it worked out.

She meet a boy in her online class and let's say they decided they would like to attend a prom (even though he was 7 hours away). As I said, the first try was a our local school, but we decided against it for various reasons you can imagine.

We started researching home school proms and they were several that popped up throughout the country. We found a good one that has done it for years within one hour of his home. We all travelled down and stayed a few days and they went to the prom there.

They had skyped, but never met in person. Most people think we are crazy, but thought it might be better received here.

They had a truly wonderful time and now his family is coming up to our place. :D

I would never have seen this coming when we started high school!

Are there any other parents with high schoolers that might be interested in helping to start high school association? Virtual clubs, and possibly proms/graduation ceremonies in your state?

I'd like to do more face to face, but like I said, there just aren't many homeschoolers in our area.

A virtual newspaper written by homeschooled teens would be awesome! We'd have to get a group going and then somehow they could all write their articles and put it on a website? I know the ps has an online newspaper, not exactly sure how it works. My dd14 would be extremely interested though!

A virtual newspaper written by homeschooled teens would be awesome! We'd have to get a group going and then somehow they could all write their articles and put it on a website? I know the ps has an online newspaper, not exactly sure how it works. My dd14 would be extremely interested though!

My dd14 would be interested in this as well!

Okay, for those interested, I started http://www.homeschoolsocial.org.

It's very new, and I've only been working on it a couple days in between my other job. If anyone would like to help get this off the ground, or have your child join for the beta (to help report issues), please, please let me know. I'm interested in all ideas and ways to improve how it works, as well as ideas on how to market to get more middle schoolers and high schoolers on board. So parents are more than welcome! My 14 year old is so anxious to meet other kids that share her interests. If you aren't interested yourself, please share with another family that may be!

Things planned:

Groups/clubs for different interests (photography, art, chess, japanese, religion, cars, online magazine, yearbook, etc...). Some of these groups will be led by a parent that will give instructions or activities.

General club for chatting and goofing off.

State groups to find people in your area for local activities. (Group will include an event calendar)

Blogs - Each member may have their own blog at http://www.homeschoolsocial.org/name. Blog can be public, private for members, or they can choose what members can view.

Graduation ceremonies - this one will be harder to pull off but I'm determined. It would allow students graduating in the same year to travel to the same (hopefully central) location and have a graduation ceremony, complete with cap and gown and diploma.

Prom festivities

Fall and spring dances in various locations.

Edited by Bee Happy

Dissenting voice. I encouraged my ds to go to prom his senior year. He attended a girl's school prom and really did enjoy himself, though his insights about the schooled kids were funny.

His umbrella has a yearly graduation ceremony that is optional, and that also I encouraged him to attend. It was really wonderful. 18 students attended, and all give a short speech (unless they choose not to-one student did this). I absolutely loved it. It was fascinating to hear the often unusual or unconventional paths many of the students had taken. One was clearly a boy who had a learning disability and made tremendous progress outside the school environment. Twin sisters had lived in a boat and sailed around the world with their parents for three years. One girl was an orphan at 16 and attended community college and won a huge award there <snif>. I think you should take your student's cues, and encourage where appropriate. Most teens are self-aware enough to figure out what works for them.