Menu

Anyone doing virtual Call Center work?

I have telecommunications experience and have a decent amount of time available to work in the morning or the evenings after the kids go to bed (9pm to 2am and 8am-1pm)

I have found many companies that offer such work for at home but I am trying to narrow down the companies to apply with. I would prefer it if I could pick when I work and when I don't, etc.

I choose my hours with West At Home. I've been working for them for almost 5 years. Their clients include GE, Toys R Us, Shop NBC, and many others. I average about 15-20 hours a week and we are able topics up time in 30 minute increments. I love the flexibility that West allows me to have.

I've been looking at ARISE. I just haven't figured out all the tax issues.

i was reading one review about arise that stated you have to pay for your training? I am not fully sure if the source was reliable but I always thought their descriptions are so vague. Where as other companies flat out tell you what kind of work you will be doing, etc.

I worked for Working Solutions, and LiveOps and Teletech (but they set your schedule),.

I've been with Arise for almost 3 years now. Best of all of them! Let me know if you have any specific questions about Arise that I can help with.

Edited by Samiam

i was reading one review about arise that stated you have to pay for your training? I am not fully sure if the source was reliable but I always thought their descriptions are so vague. Where as other companies flat out tell you what kind of work you will be doing, etc.

Yes you do pay for your training. As far as job descriptions I haven't noticed them being less vague but I was also just assuming the vagueness was because what you do depends on who you are working for once you are with ARISE.

I worked for Working Solutions, and LiveOps and Teletech (but they set your schedule),.

I've been with Arise for almost 3 years now. Best of all of them! Let me know if you have any specific questions about Arise that I can help with.

I know with Arise you have to be incorporated. They pay you w/out holding taxes out and you pay your own taxes right? Do you just pay at the end of the year when you file taxes? Are there any other taxes you have to pay during the year? Did you have to get a business license? File any other papers with your state/county?

I just closed a business last year and I dont' want to get back into having a lot of papers and taxes to deal with on a monthly basis.

I have worked for chacha.com in the past, a text answering service. You have complete flexibility and I always thought it was fun, but it doesn't make much money!

I used to work for them. At the time, I was getting .20/text then it dropped to .10. I quit when it went almost all automated. Too much work for too little pay.

Yes you do pay for your training. As far as job descriptions I haven't noticed them being less vague but I was also just assuming the vagueness was because what you do depends on who you are working for once you are with ARISE.

I know with Arise you have to be incorporated. They pay you w/out holding taxes out and you pay your own taxes right? Do you just pay at the end of the year when you file taxes? Are there any other taxes you have to pay during the year? Did you have to get a business license? File any other papers with your state/county?

I just closed a business last year and I dont' want to get back into having a lot of papers and taxes to deal with on a monthly basis.

Since you are your own LLC, and not an employee, Arise does not take taxes out of your paycheck.

Here's the process in a quick nutshell:

-Get a LLC with your state...this is actually ALOT easier than it sounds. State Gov have the forms on their site and it's usually 2 pages long. Pay the fee (this varies per state but for me, it was $135).

-Get an EIN from Federal Gov (free, and its simply for tax purposes)

That's pretty much it. No business license needed because of the type of work you are doing, it's not necessary. No other monthly paperwork, taxes etc.

Taxes are filed at end of year, just like everyone else. It's pretty simple, I use TurboTax online and select the "LLC" version, which is a combo of personal and business taxes. Me personally, I still have never had to PAY into taxes because of my work with Arise, because between tax credits for children, tax write-offs for business expenses, and our overall income, we've not owed any taxes. Course that will vary based on your situation.

Honestly, getting into Arise, getting all set-up, doing the business paperwork, selecting a client, etc is the most "difficult" part...difficult meaning just alot of step by step getting it all together and organized. Once you are actually in and working, it's pretty cut-n-dry. Sign up for the shifts you want to work, then log in and work :). Get paid direct deposit twice a month.

Since you are your own LLC, and not an employee, Arise does not take taxes out of your paycheck.

Here's the process in a quick nutshell:

-Get a LLC with your state...this is actually ALOT easier than it sounds. State Gov have the forms on their site and it's usually 2 pages long. Pay the fee (this varies per state but for me, it was $135).

-Get an EIN from Federal Gov (free, and its simply for tax purposes)

That's pretty much it. No business license needed because of the type of work you are doing, it's not necessary. No other monthly paperwork, taxes etc.

Taxes are filed at end of year, just like everyone else. It's pretty simple, I use TurboTax online and select the "LLC" version, which is a combo of personal and business taxes. Me personally, I still have never had to PAY into taxes because of my work with Arise, because between tax credits for children, tax write-offs for business expenses, and our overall income, we've not owed any taxes. Course that will vary based on your situation.

Honestly, getting into Arise, getting all set-up, doing the business paperwork, selecting a client, etc is the most "difficult" part...difficult meaning just alot of step by step getting it all together and organized. Once you are actually in and working, it's pretty cut-n-dry. Sign up for the shifts you want to work, then log in and work :). Get paid direct deposit twice a month.

Hmmm, when I had an LLC before I had to have the biz license before I could incorporate. I wonder why that was.

But as long as I don't get caught up in other paperwork that's ok. Too many extra taxes and forms would be more than I could juggle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
I received an email today that I passed my initial assessments with West at Home and will be contacted within the next three business days for an interview! I am excited and looking forward to a wee bit more income :D Hoping I get the position!

I'm bringing this thread back up to see how this worked out! I am looking at this type of work again. How did it go? Are you working for them? Or did you decide to do something else?

Hi! Sorry, just saw this. I did get the job with west at home and am currently employed with them. I work about 10 hours a week. It is great for extra spending money, etc.

If you are interested go to their website at westathome.com and apply. There are several steps to go through and takes a good month to a month and a half before you start work, etc.

Could you tell us what kind of pay they give at West At Home ?

Is it minimum wage or is it commission pay depending on sales ?

Also, can you work late evening hours, I'd really like to work after my kids go to bed and I would be great to work from home while my kids are sleeping without leaving the house.

Thanks for any information you can give me about this job.

I figured I would chime in here since I'm still with West at Home. Pay varies depending on the line group our working. You will always get at least minimum wage for your state. The average is about $8 an hour.

Depending on which line you are working for, hours vary. With GE, hours are from 7 am til 10 pm ET.

As far as the phone line, you have to have a regular phone line. I have Verizon and just have them turn off my call waiting and voice mail.

Edited by twinmami01