Menu

MCT - Complete? Do you add extra to it?

GreenIsGood2

So, a couple of very nice ladies here led me to MCT. :001_smile: But, now I have a few questions before I order. I have went thru all the threads (I think), and it seems some people add another writing program (like WWS) to it, but some are even adding an additional grammar program (like Hake). I was thinking of adding WWS, but I was all confused when I found that post about adding more grammar to it. Is it considered a complete program? Is everyone adding to it?

How about poetry and vocab? For example, if I had poetry and vocabulary down with another program I could drop them if I went with MCT correct?

Thanks everyone!

MCT is a wonderful program, but it is incomplete. It does not cover things like capitalization and punctuation, nor does it cover more complicated sentences (the sentences all need to fit on one line in the practice book). It also doesn't cover diagramming, and as a result, at least in levels 1-4, it places very little emphasis on what modifiers modify. It also, frankly, isn't what I would consider a "real" writing program. It is mostly a write-by-example program with some assignments (which I don't even particularly like) thrown in.

My belief is that the program was developed to be a supplement to the regular curriculum which is why there are glaring holes.

That said, I think MCT is a wonderful enough to spend oodles of money on it *and* other programs for grammar and writing each year.

Well, you have already heard me blather on about MCT :D but I will add that it does assume that you are covering very basic things, like capitalization rules, in another way. It does cover the types of sentences, and punctuation rules for compound sentences, comma use, etc., so it's not correct to say it doesn't do punctuation at all - but it doesn't thoroughly, systematically cover mechanics.

And yes, I think almost everyone uses something else for writing in addition to MCT. I think I've run across one or two posters here who just use MCT (or who consider it their main writing) but many feel they need additional explicit writing instruction. As I've said before, I find the writing books (at least at the Island and Town levels) to be wonderful instruction in grammar - why we study grammar, and how it applies to writing - something I think is missing in traditional grammar programs, which may give you plenty of pracitce on rules but very little on *why* you are learning this in the first place, and *how* you will apply it. My dd is one of those who won't learn something unless she can see why she is learning it, and how it connects to everything else - so a deep, integrated program is great for her. YMMV.

At this point, I can't imagine adding an additional grammar program - but my dd does *not* thrive on repetition! Vocabulary is more than complete with CE 1 & 2, IMO. For poetry, I plan to read lots of additional poems, and WWS has a unit on literary analysis of poetry, but I don't think I'll need anything additional on poetics, per se.

Edited by rroberts707

We loooove MCT here at our house as well. But I do integrate many different curricula for every subject. For example, for language arts...

• MCT Grammar: one evening/week on the grammar books (we finished the Island level components a few months back, but we don't do the writing assignments)
  • WWW/GWG: wbs 3-4 days/week
  • VW: 1x/week for extra vocabulary
  • MCT literature: 2 chapters/week (I love the integration of the sentence analysis!)
  • Caught Ya!: 1x/week for punctuation/capitalization review
  • Killgallon: 1x/week

Now, I'm probably just a curricula junkie and am going overboard. I bet if one were diligent and reviewed/modified MCT it would be a fine stand alone program. (E.g., a PP is correct in that the sentence analysis doesn't include identifying which word an adjective/adverb is modifying - however, I still have my girls tell me aloud because it's too important to skip.)

I think I'm going for it! The more I read about MCT, the more I like it. I have heard one variation of how to schedule. Are there any others that could give input on scheduling the days/weeks for Town level? Longest time ever spent daily (so I can be prepared) ha! :001_smile: I read that at one point there was a schedule floating around but that since the new CE book came out it is all different? Oh - and I do want the Classical CE, right?

What are most using to supplement the writing prior to WWS? I have a few ideas, but I could use some more. :)

What are your goals?

Here's what we're doing that's on a very different note than MCT & KISS & WWE &c (we use KISS and WWE, and are adding MCT next year) I'm working with Button (almost 7yo) this summer using Evan Moor's first grade "Daily 6 Traits". He is accelerated and his poor writing skills -- both compositional and handwriting -- were holding him back, so we're heavy on the composition and handwriting this summer.

Daily 6 Traits is not fine writing, but it does the sorts of things that MCT apparently glosses over (and that he hadn't yet picked up from WWE), such as capitalization, punctuation, word spacing, etc. I am happy with it for that purpose, and have seen improvement. I do adapt the assignments to make them more interesting or otherwise appropriate.

Next year will be language-arts intensive for us, and I plan to use either Zaner-Bloser's Strategies for Writers & Grammar, Usage, and Mechanics (G.U.M.) (with plans to drop the G.U.M. if it's too much with MCT) or Writing Skills. My particular goals are around bringing this child's performance closer to his [current] abilities and freeing him up to take advantage of the writing opportunities in other curricula I have planned, notably some Jr. Great Books work and a high-aptitude language arts unit, Beyond Words. -- I'm mentioning the accelerated work to put our plan into perspective; it is clear that using WWE, esp. with MCT or something like that, produces very satisfying results for most children by grade 4 or so.

Edited by serendipitous journey

I think I'm going for it! The more I read about MCT, the more I like it. I have heard one variation of how to schedule. Are there any others that could give input on scheduling the days/weeks for Town level? Longest time ever spent daily (so I can be prepared) ha! :001_smile: I read that at one point there was a schedule floating around but that since the new CE book came out it is all different? Oh - and I do want the Classical CE, right?

I really like the Classical CE - it is meatier, with more vocab words, and added grammar review and historical essays, poetry, etc. I have owned both and find it well worth the extra cost. Others are perfectly happy with their "old" CE, though!

I did change to scheduling CE 2 days a week with the Classical version, though - it was a little too much to get through a lesson in one sitting.

Ok, I'll shut up now, you already know what I think! :tongue_smilie:

I really like the Classical CE - it is meatier, with more vocab words, and added grammar review and historical essays, poetry, etc. I have owned both and find it well worth the extra cost. Others are perfectly happy with their "old" CE, though!

I did change to scheduling CE 2 days a week with the Classical version, though - it was a little too much to get through a lesson in one sitting.

Ok, I'll shut up now, you already know what I think! :tongue_smilie:

Oh, Rose - You have helped me tremendously! Thank you, thank you! I went ahead with MCT today. :001_smile:

Dd used ViE for gr. 2 last year. So far, that seemed a good lead in for MCT Island. While vocabulary is covered, we still utilize two spelling curricula. We're also using Check the Deck to introduce writing techniques and ideas. I also have Killgallon and we might add that in at some point. I'm happy with MCT and dd responses to the story format.

I'm not sure I'll use it with ds as it's not quite his way of learning. I may try WWE with him after we complete Serl's books.