Menu

What size tomato paste can you buy in your area

Can you get a can of tomato paste that's other than 6oz?  

1. 1. Can you get a can of tomato paste that's other than 6oz?

• Yes, they have a variety of sizes at my local stores.
    • No, they only have the tiny 6oz size here.
    • I just like answering polls :)

I've been reading a lot of recipes lately and got some from family in an attempt to start making my own tomato sauce and pizza sauce.

Many of the recipes call for a can of tomato paste larger than 6oz. Until maybe 2 months ago the only size I could buy at any store was 6oz.

Is this the norm or is my store behind the times? (there's a poll so wait for it:))

They have a 6oz and 12oz that I routinely buy. Interestingly, the same size is not always cheapest. While I always keep at least a few of the 6oz size on hand, sometime the small one is cheaper per oz and sometime the larger size is. I buy whichever size is currently cheapest, and buy even more when it is a good sale.

At Sam's Club or Gordon Food Service, I buy a #10 can and then divide it up onto a cookie sheet and freeze it, then put it into a larger freezer bag and take out what I need. It's SO much cheaper to do this.

Well I'm still working on a recipe we like but if I find one I'll definitely check costco for a large can to do this with.

My main grocery store carries 6, 12, and 18 oz cans. I've never looked at the other stores since they tend to be more expensive and I only shop the sales at those stores.

I've looked at Sam's and our only carries a 12 pack of 6 ounce cans. I would love to find #10 cans of it. I do a lot of big batch cooking (my soup/chili pot is 4 gallons) and it would be so much easier to open one big can instead of oodles of little cans because most of the time even with 18 ounce cans I end up using 3 or 4 of them.