Menu

Protein powder with no aftertaste

Does such a thing exist? I have been using whey protein for a long time, and while I have always been aware of the aftertaste, it never really bothered me. But it seems the further along I get in my pregnancy, the more the aftertaste bugs me - I can't use it any more because the aftertaste is just too much. I like to put some in my morning smoothie and would love your recommendations. I make milk based smoothies, rather than water or juice based, so it needs to be something that won't taste funny in milk.

TIA!

I like the Trader Joe's store brand or Whole Foods 365 brand. Both are cheap and don't use artificial sweeteners, so no nasty taste like you get with the more popular brands. I also use the Garden of Life Raw brand veggie protein powder. While it does not taste great (not sweet) it blends nicely, and does not have any after taste.

I like the Trader Joe's store brand or Whole Foods 365 brand. Both are cheap and don't use artificial sweeteners, so no nasty taste like you get with the more popular brands. I also use the Garden of Life Raw brand veggie protein powder. While it does not taste great (not sweet) it blends nicely, and does not have any after taste.

I live in the middle of nowhere, so no Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. Can I order them online?

When I was more in to body building I used egg white protein. It does not have flavor in a smoothie. I just don't use anything anymore. Are you trying to consume it plain or added to a smoothie? I could never just tolerate plain. They make me gag.

Now I just add a serving of almonds and greens along with my berries. That is enough protein for me.

The two I use most often are Jay Robb Whey Protein. Stevia sweetened, rBST free, tastes pretty decent, but you may think it has an aftertaste. I think of all of the PPs I've tried, it is the best tasting. It is also fairly pricey.

I also use Jarrow unflavored whey protein powder-no flavor, no sweetener, and then I tweak it with whatever I want in the blender.

Hemp seed is good. Nutty tasting. Or yes, a handful of almonds. DH has some chocolate and vanilla flavored hemp protein shake powder from Trader Joe's, but I haven't tasted it to see if it has aftertaste.

In my nutritional research, I've come to the conclusion that whey is not really all that great for us, or that there are better options, so I talked DH out of using it.

I have had a lot of luck with Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Double Rich Chocolate.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000QSNYGI

I like the 365 and Trader Joe's as well, but, for easy to come by (and relatively inexpensive), I would get the Optimum Nutrition Natural (only available in chocolate and vanilla). The rest of the ON line has artificial sweeteners and some with HFCS.

Dream Protein is also really good, but expensive (as is the Greens First powder Doctors for Nutrition sells). Or, you could just go with plain, unflavored whey and just flavor your smoothies with whatever you want.

After my gastric bypass they did not want us using regular protein powder, but instead we supplement with powdered milk or dried egg powder. Both don't really change the flavor of what you mix it with at all. I do one cup of powdered milk to four cups of regular fridge milk, makes the milk have 14 grams of protein for each 8ozs cup. The egg powder adds 6 protein for 3tsp.

I mix powdered milk into yogurt also. 3TBS adds 4.5 grams of protein.

We call protein powder yucky brown gack, lol. I prefer to use the powdered milk or powdered egg.

Hope this helps.

Also my favorite gastric bypass blog has a bunch of protein packed smoothie recipes which use various types of protein powders. You might check out her stuff also for new ideas.

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/06/my-favorite-protein-shake-recipes.html

These are just smoothie recipes that are low in sugar and high in protein, not for only gastric bypass people.

I used unjury after my bariatric surgery. It was doable. I don't remember any icky taste. The one other thing that I drank was Isopure. They come in different flavors, sort of like kool-aide. SORT of.