Menu

Looking for art (gr.2) that's thorough & easy to implement

plain jane

Would Artistic Pursuits be what I'm looking for? It's a bit pricey so that's a turn off for me but if it's easy to implement and therefore gets done, it's worth the money.

What else can you suggest for a gr2? Art is not my strong point and it bothers me A LOT that we didn't get to it as much as I would've liked to last year. I want to change that for gr2 so I'm :bigear: for suggestions.

We use Artistic Pursuits and my 7 yo dd LOVES it! It takes a few minutes to read the text, then we discuss the picture and then move on to the art activity. It's really easy and scripted, which is nice for me.

One thing we are trying this year, based on a friend's recommendation (all 3 of her daughters are artists and she taught from this book) is The Drawing Textbook. It's available at RR and she swears by it.

HTH!

Amy

there's no art history or anything, but it's pretty comprehensive and inexpensive. A Mennonite company publishes it; you can find it in R&S's catalog, as well as from Rainbow Resources and Shekinah Curriculum Cellar.

The publisher recommends buying one ArtPack for the teacher and one for the student, so that the teacher can do each project ahead of time.

No comment on AP, but if you want EASY to implement, something even the non-artistic (me) can implement, then get the book Discovering Great Artists and do one project a week. It has a brief bio on an artist and a project in their style. It's crazy easy to implement, something even I can do, very memorable and worthwhile. It's arranged chronologically, so you'd have projects to go with your history. They also just released an american version Discovering Great American Artists.

We are art failures here too ;)

I have found that even if I have all the supplies, the whole getting out paints and whatever mess my toddler will make with that is just too much for me most of the time.

At the beginning of last year we were doing a 3 week on 1 week off schedule, and it sort of worked to set up the school area for art and crafts in that off week.

But for this year we are dropping any hope of paint or collage and just doing drawing. Since all I have to get out are sketch books and pencils, and the little one can have all his own, and it is easy to clean up-- It actually gets done. We are using Draw Squad.

I just had to admit that at this stage in our lives (with little ones) the messier art projects are going to have to be done somewhere else. At least drawing is doing something, and they all like it.

I think it depends on what you want. Creating art, art history, or both?

For the elements of art (line, shape, color, etc.), How to Teach Art to Children is much more thorough than Artistic Pursuits K-3 level Book 1. HtTAtC has several projects listed for each element. The projects are divided into categories: small class, large class, individuals (something like that). Nothing to stop you from doing all the projects, though. I thought the projects were a little boring, but the kids liked them. However, there are some great color projects.

AP Book 1 tries to cover art history, the elements of art, and creating art. I really like the ancient art/history projects in the last section of AP Book 1 as well as the nice prints to go along with those projects. Great way to combine history and art. Art history projects are listed in chronological order on Paula's Archives. Very nice. However, I'd still have to find prints. Plus, the kids liked doing the other projects in AP Book 1, so I bought it used. AP is definitely easy to use. The prints make this a much better program than Discovering Great Artists, which I also have. DGA is a black and white book. You have to find the artist and a copy of the artist's work to show the child. I'm still trying to do all that. I'm also still going through the book trying to weed out and schedule projects over a 4-year span. In the meantime, while AP isn't perfect, we at least went through the book with ease.

See Paula's Archives for reviews of other art programs, too.

We just started How to Teach Art to Children by Evan Moor. It teaches the seven elements of art with fairly simple projects for each.

Around here, the best curriculum is the one that gets done. And this fits that bill. It's only $22 through the publisher (probably less through Rainbow Resources).

$14.95 at Amazon!

I asked about an art resource for this age group recently. I wanted something not connected with art history, but a resource on how to do art, mostly simple projects. I also wanted something with lots of color pictures throughout. Here's a link to my most recent post. In addition to the Usborne book, I'm also still considering the Evan-Moore How to Teach Art to Children.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?p=357633#poststop

hth

Erica

Depends on what you are looking for. AP is great if you are wanting to teach art appreciation and introduce various media. Easy to implement, although they do recommend high quality art suppies (which IMHO were very fun to use). It didn't rock my ds's world, though, when we tried it in 1st grade b/c he wanted to learn how to drawl specific things. I was kinda bummed he didn't like it, because I loved the idea of it.

We used How to Teach Art... this past year and will use it again for 4th. Not only did it teach elements of art, but there is an artisit appreiciation componenet in the back -- mimick a Picasso piece, da Vinci, etc. Great advice I received about using this was to complete on element then follow it with one of these art appreciation books in the back. I also found some great books at our library about each element of art, so we checked those out for an excellent complement to the program. There's a ton of projects in this book and it is a great alternative to expensive art programs IMHO.

We use a variety of other "how to draw..." type books to meet my ds's desire to draw specific things.

• 4 weeks later...