Menu

Hmm...is there a solution for this pool non-use issue?

We have a large above-ground swimming pool. I never go in the pool, and I realized it's because I just really don't like being in the sun. The area is pretty dry and barren, with no shade in sight. I've heard not to plant trees near a pool because of leaves falling into the water, so what do people do to have some relief from the sun?

Is there some easy fix that I haven't thought of? -Because even if I ignore the problem with leaves and plant a tree *today*, it's going to be a long time before there's any shade at all. :001_huh:

Oh, and did I mention that the fix needs to be relatively easy, and really inexpensive? ;)

I like all of these ideas. I might be able to ask on Freecycle if anyone has an umbrella or EZ Up to get rid of. I'd have to put it on something to raise it up though, I think, or it would be too low. Maybe some cinderblocks or something. I like the tarp & shade sail ideas too, but we don't have any trees or *anything* around the pool, so we'd have to do something about that. Not sure I could manage that myself, though I tend to be fairly handy. Hmm...

It's in the high 90's & low 100's, and I want to enjoy the water. {Where's the pouty-faced smiley when you need it?}

Edited by Julie in CA

You know, it wouldn't be as pretty, but tarps from the hardware store would work, too. Just find a big un', and have one of the men make a stand for it. Maybe out of plumbing line? That'd be cheap. You know, the PVC stuff.

Edited by bethanyniez

I don't know about the wind there, but I found that those can sometimes be destroyed by wind.

If I were you, I would find 4 tall wooden poles, set them in cement in a square, put a hook in the top and place a tarp over the pool, secured by the hooks on the pole and the gromettes in the tarp.

This way it is easily removable if the wind picks up and cheaply replaced when the sun destroys it.

another thing I hadn't thought of is if you think it through, you can add more tarps for the sides (or one that moves) all you would need is more hooks and the proper placement of the poles.

Edited by Lara in Colo

We got the sail shades from Costco(they were $25 or $30) and did what Lara in Colo suggested. I love the shade area we have and am not going to be too upset if they don't last more than a season or two. The problem with the pool of course is you'll have to experiment with where the shade falls at the time you will most likely want to swim; I just chase the shade with my hammock :001_smile:.

HTH,

for nearly 20 yrs we had an in-ground pool and I hate (hate!) the sun. It gives me terrible headaches. I bought a big wooden market umbrella with a stand-alone stand. If I had to be out to watch the kids, I sat under there with my book. Occasionally I'd move the umbrella closer to the pool so I could put my feet in the water to cool off.

if you have a pool and don't like the sun then they are definitely worth the investment.

You don't want trees, they can make cleaning the pool a nightmare. An expensive one at that as it changes the amount of chemicals needed.

Our neighbor, a very handy one at that, made a big square from 2x4s and then hung a tarp from it like curtains, attaching at top and bottom. We have considered adding a row of lattice across the top of our fence but have not done it yet. Our fence (thanks the previous owners) comes so close to the pool that you can't walk around it.

I saw the part about it needing to be inexpensive. Tarps from the hard-ware store are a great option.

But, one thing to consider is the price of trees you were thinking of getting. They wouldn't be cheap either. Perhaps budget the price of a tree (or two) and figure that as your price limit? Just an idea.

Maybe not that inexpensive but how about one of those offset patio umbrellas?

:iagree: This is what I was thinking.

Just for the record, we have an above ground pool, small, 16' across, and it is under a big tree that is in the neighbors yard. Yes, we get some stuff off the tree, especially if the wind is blowing a bit more but it isn't unmanagable.