Menu

prayers please...blood pressure issues in pregnancy

Last pregnancy I struggled with my blood pressure. It was high, but with diet/supplements/etc I kept it low enough to keep me ok for my homebirth. It was a lot of stress though. I really wanted to avoid that this time. My blood pressure has been great so far...last visit 2 weeks ago was 106/70.

Well, today it was 135/80. Not cool. Not cool at all. I was rushed this afternoon, and annoyed about something, and it is HOT HOT HOT out, but still. I came home, ate an early dinner, rested, and it is still 130/70.

I took some magnesium and am going to go back to drinking 1 cup of dandelion leaf tea a day (the things that helped last time), and get on DH to get the pool in shape so I can stand in the deep water, which is supposed to help.

But really....prayers that this is a fluke, and it goes back down, would be great.

(i never spilled protein in my last pregnancy, or had headaches. I did have swelling. So far this pregnancy the swelling is minimal, no headaches, no protein in urine...just blood pressure going up).

Thanks!

Update: After the magnesium, and without my 2 year old trying to climb on me, it was just 119/69!!!! MUCH BETTER! I think I just got overheated and stressed out. Will try to take it easy the next few days and track it say 3 times a day and see what happens. And will get some of that magnesium oil ASAP, I like the idea of a magnesium supplement that doesn't give me diarrhea! Last time I didn't give birth in the water because my stool was so loose from the magnesium I was taking that it wasn't going to be pretty, lol.

Edited by ktgrok

No advice on how to help it stay down, but :grouphug: and please be very careful. When my blood pressure spiked in pregnancy, it didn't end well. Keep a count on fetal movements.

:grouphug:

I don't post much on this forum, but your post caught my eye because I had this problem with my last two pregnancies and feel for you! The best thing for you is to stay off your feet as much as possible and rest on your left side. If this doesn't work focus on what your midwife tells you to do. There is treatment out there for this that will not hurt your baby and keep your blood pressure under control. I will be praying for you and your little baby!

thanks for the quick responses! I will definitely track it and keep an eye on things. And if it goes up too high, or I have head aches, blurred vision, or any of the other signs I will go straight to the hospital, I swear. Baby is kicking great, and moving around in there all the time.

I just really don't want to have this looming over me, you know?

Update: After the magnesium, and without my 2 year old trying to climb on me, it was just 119/69!!!! MUCH BETTER! I think I just got overheated and stressed out. Will try to take it easy the next few days and track it say 3 times a day and see what happens. And will get some of that magnesium oil ASAP, I like the idea of a magnesium supplement that doesn't give me diarrhea! Last time I didn't give birth in the water because my stool was so loose from the magnesium I was taking that it wasn't going to be pretty, lol.

Oh, and THANK YOU for the prayers!! They obviously worked fast!

No suggestions except that I was told not to check my pressure (when I was pg with the twins) more than once or twice a day.

The heat is certainly going to give you issues so if you can stay somewhat cool, please try.:grouphug:

You know, that does sound right. I will take it twice a day for a few days, morning and evening, as I know it can vary with time of day, to get a baseline. I also know to wait quite a while before taking it again on the same arm ( waited over an hour this time) to avoid weird readings.

I am all too familiar with high blood pressure and pregnancy! Ugh. Luckily, my midwife wasn't concerned until the bottom number was over 95. And, she trusted my readings at home. The top number is stress-related. Bottom number is the one to watch.

I had issues with my first pregnancy and ended up with an emergency transfer to the hospital (planned birth center birth) due to pre-eclampsia. I think that made me nervous for all my future births. Right around 36 weeks or so, my BP would skyrocket at the visit, but be fine at home.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: You'll be fine. Keep taking your pressures at home. See how it is under more normal circumstances. Track it.

I am all too familiar with high blood pressure and pregnancy! Ugh. Luckily, my midwife wasn't concerned until the bottom number was over 95. And, she trusted my readings at home. The top number is stress-related. Bottom number is the one to watch.

I had issues with my first pregnancy and ended up with an emergency transfer to the hospital (planned birth center birth) due to pre-eclampsia. I think that made me nervous for all my future births. Right around 36 weeks or so, my BP would skyrocket at the visit, but be fine at home.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: You'll be fine. Keep taking your pressures at home. See how it is under more normal circumstances. Track it.

Thanks. the upper number of 80 at the office worried me, but it was with the student taking it, and I don't trust her...she has trouble with the machine. AT home the bottom number has stayed around 70, which is normal for me, so it does sound like it was stress. I'm going to ask that the midwife herself take it next time, instead of that student. (it is an automatic cuff thing that she has a hard time getting on right for some reason)

Thanks. the upper number of 80 at the office worried me, but it was with the student taking it, and I don't trust her...she has trouble with the machine. AT home the bottom number has stayed around 70, which is normal for me, so it does sound like it was stress. I'm going to ask that the midwife herself take it next time, instead of that student. (it is an automatic cuff thing that she has a hard time getting on right for some reason)

That makes total sense! And, I just read your update (we must have posted around the same time!). All GOOD!!!!!

Also, when I was transferred for my first birth, my BP was 220/130. So, yeah. You're good!!!

Check out Blue Ribbon Baby. The information on that website is based on the research and practice of Tom Brewer. When he was alive, he researched toxemia, ran a "high risk" practice, and had no toxemia within his patience. He successfully treated patients with toxemia in the hospital to keep them pregnant longer.

Early in my first pregnancy, my blood pressure was 150/90 at one appointment unrelated to my pregnancy. They were a bit freaked by it. But I followed Dr. Brewer's suggestions and my blood pressure went down and never came back up.

The basics of his advice:

Eat 80-100 grams of protein every day.

Drink plenty of water.

Salt your food to taste.

Check out Blue Ribbon Baby. The information on that website is based on the research and practice of Tom Brewer. When he was alive, he researched toxemia, ran a "high risk" practice, and had no toxemia within his patience. He successfully treated patients with toxemia in the hospital to keep them pregnant longer.

Early in my first pregnancy, my blood pressure was 150/90 at one appointment unrelated to my pregnancy. They were a bit freaked by it. But I followed Dr. Brewer's suggestions and my blood pressure went down and never came back up.

The basics of his advice:

Eat 80-100 grams of protein every day.

Drink plenty of water.

Salt your food to taste.

I'm a huge fan of his advice in theory. In practice I find protein food gross when pregnant...so it is hard....I did eat some for dinner though.

I'm a huge fan of his advice in theory. In practice I find protein food gross when pregnant...so it is hard....I did eat some for dinner though.

I understand. Trying to stuff in just 80g of protein was very hard. I used to make a shake using 16oz of milk and two servings of chocolate whey protein before bed to get a bunch in.

Don't forget that greek yogurt is a protein option.

Almonds are good protein. If you keep them in the freezer then they are nice and cold in your mouth.

You could put a little greek yogurt in a bowl, sprinkle with some sliced or slivered almonds and add a little honey and/or cinnamon.