Menu

How long is your middle school day?

nutmeg

I'm sitting here looking at what I have planned and would like to do for next year (7th and accelerated 5th grades), and I'm realizing that we might actually need to get up to an alarm clock this year!:tongue_smilie: Seriously, our school day usually begins at 10am, and we are wrapping things up by 3pm or so. I'm not much of a clock watcher, and we have just never really worried about keeping to a schedule.

But by my estimations, we are looking at adding a couple hours of table time next year. :glare:

Our local school goes from 9:15 to 4:00, plus homework of course, and I have a feeling we might be getting close to that.

I realize there is no 'typical' time frame, but could you give me an idea of how long your middle school day is? Thank you!

My DS is 12, and our actual time spent on academics is usually around 3.0-3.5 hours per day. I occasionally panic that I'm shortchanging him, and need to immediately start implementing hour-long math and grammar lessons, but with his raging ADHD and NVLD, I don't think that would fly too well!

Michelle T

I have an accelerated 5th grader also. This year I am looking at having a school day of @ 5 hrs. It just takes longer at this point, the time adds up. An hour for math, an hour to read, at least a half hr for latin, I would love to add in an hour for writing (he'll kill me but he needs it!) and that doesn't count anything fun or art, science, ss, read alouds, etc!

You know, this is going to start a war. The other 2 kids only need @ 3-4 hrs a day (starting 1st and a 3rd grader). I don't suppose one of you want to come over and reason with this kid over why he is still working and his little bro & sis are playing?!?! What no takers?

Good luck, I feel your pain!

Christy

12 and 14 yos- 12 yo struggles with LDs.

The have to be up by 7am. Music practice at 8am. School starts at 8.30am, strictly.

We work until about 1pm, but this includes read alouds and short breaks.

The older often works for a bit longer after a break for lunch. Sometimes the younger has reading after 1pm.

I try and stack it so that the more intense work is done first, then the together work (history read aloud, poetry, Shakespeare etc), then comes independent reading. Sometimes a writing assignment comes at the end too.

So, 4.5 hours, sometimes 5, but it includes reading for school.

And we are out most of Friday for Science, and Monday afternoons.

Well my rising 8th gr dd and 7th grade ds will be looking at about a 7 hr day plus breaks. But this is estimating a high end time estimate for each subject. My dd's days also include a few outside classes (like Debate and Italian) and an estimate for their homework and my ds's days include time to work on his Boy Scouts merit badges, attend a weekly chess club, etc. In addition my dd will do soccer and my ds will do Boy Scouts.

I've asked this on the high school board a got quite a few that said that they also went as high as a 7 hr day in Jr high. It really depends on what subjects you are including and what curriculum you choose. Some folks include music and art while others don't. I also choose Classical Writing for grammar/writing and it takes longer then other choices... I estimate about 1.5 hrs 4 days/wk eventhough it sometimes takes less time. One thing I really like to do is to ask here for estimates for each curriculum choice I make.

Oh and homework is another option. I don't plan on homework... I try to plan for all their work to get done by 4:00pm. They should have 'homework' if they don't their work done <and I don't wimp out! ;) >

hth