Menu

How would Mystery of History work for the Logic stage?

Yes, Mystery of History would be good for the logic stage. I actually think it is best suited for kids that age. The schedule is in the table of contents. There are three lessons scheduled per week. Volume one has 36 weeks. I'm not sure about the other volumes. HTH

It is not that different. You can still outline. We choose a paragraph and outline. I have dd read literature. We have added a wide variety of items for reading that I have coordinated with MOH too.

You can go as far as you like with how and what. It lends itself easily to any approach and adaptation. I like it quite a bit.

I was thinking of using MOH Volume 1 w/my 7th and 6th graders. Is anyone using Human Odyssey and MOH? I can't tell if that would be too much reading. I really like the layout and colored pictures in HO but really want to combine the Biblical studies w/our history, especially for Ancients.

Do you count all the historical fiction books as literature study? Just thinking of how to schedule it.

Thanks!

ok, so I will be doing Mystery of History vol 1. But still thinking of what to add BiblioPlan or History Odyssey Ancients Level Two? Or just go by what WTM states? But I need something to walk me through.......

I didn't find either of those necessary. I bought all of those last year (plus SOTW) and didn't use any of them. MOH with outlining, timelines, and literature tied to the period we were studying, plus activities in the MOH book were more than enough.

Biblioplan would give you literature all scheduled in. I really liked BP Yr 2 done w/ MOH. You don't need the extras (maps, etc) that you can buy w/ BP. (Unless you want a timeline that is all planned out but you definitely don't need the maps and the Cool History pages are unnecessary too.)

Michelle-BP schedules good lit as well as historical fiction. It does NOT have discussion questions, etc, for it though so you may want to get online or other sources to help you with that (Progeny Press is good but can be hit or miss-some titles are better than others as far as quality, depending on who wrote the guide.)

Really, pick a few literature guides for items like Gilgamesh, The Bronze Brow or Mara: Daughter of the Nile, and be done.

You can add as I did, but you will extend the ancients period to a two-year study if you attempt to add too much. You should finish 3 lessons each week in MOH. This is impossible if you start adding more flesh. Keep this in mind. History Odyssey is definitely not needed. You might want to add a world history encyclopedia or SOTW for extra reading or another outline resource.

Keep this in mind.

ok, so can I do all this with MOH?

1. List the facts from MOH

2. time line

3. globe, map, atlas

4. do the addtional reading from the facts list

5. then so a summary on a book

6. outline

I want to be able to do the summaries Primary sources. so, would adding Truthquest be helpful?

and for the great men, women, wars, conflicts, politics, interventions, technology, religion, daily life, cities, settlements- pages for the notebook are they suppose to come from the addtional reading summaries?

I dont understand how or when this is all suppose to be done.... help

ok, so I will be doing Mystery of History vol 1. But still thinking of what to add BiblioPlan or History Odyssey Ancients Level Two? Or just go by what WTM states? But I need something to walk me through.......

I would buy MOH and look through it. Once you do, I think you'll feel better. It has suggestions for extra reading in the back of the book by week and level. It also has a list of highly suggested extra resources to go along with it. I purchased it first and I've been adding books to my list over the summer.

Illuminations by Bright Ideas press also schedules in the literature, science, writing .....

Illuminations is RIDICULOUS expensive! If you really need a schedule, go with Biblioplan.

2. time line

3. globe, map, atlas

6. outline

I want to be able to do the summaries Primary sources. so, would adding Truthquest be helpful?

and for the great men, women, wars, conflicts, politics, interventions, technology, religion, daily life, cities, settlements- pages for the notebook are they suppose to come from the addtional reading summaries?

I'm not doing logic stage ala WTM. I'm more Charlotte Mason, but yes, you can do all these things using MOH. As for the Primary sources, I think you could just use TWTM without buying anything else. Susan has a list of primary resource suggestions for you to go through with your child by time period. You would buy MOH I to use as your spine instead of Kingfisher or Usborne, and then use her primary sources suggestions. I'm looking at my copy of the 3rd ed and it's all in there. No need to buy anything else. Except maybe the primary resources you want to use.

HTH!

Dorinda

2. time line

3. globe, map, atlas

6. outline

I've never been successful with the WTM approach, but I have planned for it and tried it. My impression is that it's going to take a good week to do all of it. Imo, you might need to start the week by reading all three MOH lessons you plan to cover. It's possible you could list facts, timeline and map from all three, but then I would be inclined to only pick from one of those facts lists to do additional reading and then either a summary or outline (or both) from that. It may be that I have a different expectation of how much time to spend on history than you do... if so, ignore my advice!! But I can see it might get a little tight if you're trying to do the whole WTM regimen on all three lessons each week. (Also, don't forget that WTM says it's okay to have some week where you don't do the extra reading if you get behind.)

Also, when I've looked at TQ, I never really thought of it being a resource for primary sources. I would re-check WTM for it's recommendations, or look the primary resource book in the Oxford (World in Ancient Times) series, or search for websites.

One other thing.... the ancients time period is likely to be the most frustrating in terms of finding and using primary sources. Don't worry if your primary source work looks light this year. It will pick up in Middle Ages, and can explode after that.

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't find either of those necessary. I bought all of those last year (plus SOTW) and didn't use any of them. MOH with outlining, timelines, and literature tied to the period we were studying, plus activities in the MOH book were more than enough.

:iagree:

Imo, you might need to start the week by reading all three MOH lessons you plan to cover. It's possible you could list facts, timeline and map from all three, but then I would be inclined to only pick from one of those facts lists to do additional reading and then either a summary or outline (or both) from that. It may be that I have a different expectation of how much time to spend on history than you do... if so, ignore my advice!! But I can see it might get a little tight if you're trying to do the whole WTM regimen on all three lessons each week. (Also, don't forget that WTM says it's okay to have some week where you don't do the extra reading if you get behind.)

Also, when I've looked at TQ, I never really thought of it being a resource for primary sources. I would re-check WTM for it's recommendations, or look the primary resource book in the Oxford (World in Ancient Times) series, or search for websites.

I would buy MOH and look through it. Once you do, I think you'll feel better. It has suggestions for extra reading in the back of the book by week and level. It also has a list of highly suggested extra resources to go along with it. I purchased it first and I've been adding books to my list over the summer.

As for the Primary sources, I think you could just use TWTM without buying anything else. Susan has a list of primary resource suggestions for you to go through with your child by time period. You would buy MOH I to use as your spine instead of Kingfisher or Usborne, and then use her primary sources suggestions. I'm looking at my copy of the 3rd ed and it's all in there. No need to buy anything else. Except maybe the primary resources you want to use.

just have a minute-can't answer all, but this is the PERFECT Primary Source series for logic stage-love it love it! Scroll down in the linked page to see the other time periods.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Medieval-Early-Modern-World/dp/0195178483/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1341617795&sr=8-3&keywords=primary+source+middle+ages

I think this is going to be my plan for my first year of the Logic stage. I dont think I will be successful with JUST the WTM approach.

thank you all for you help