Menu

Who knows of good environmental colleges?

creekland

Youngest (rising junior) is finally somewhat interested in looking for colleges for himself and has decided he wants small, hands on, botany and/or green energy, wildlife, etc.

He loved a brochure for Unity College that he received. It's in Maine and it's REALLY small (roughly 500 students). I'd prefer to see something a little larger and he'd prefer further south as he still prefers tropical botany, but that's the type that really has him enthused. He's not into a broad core curriculum, but would rather study just what interests him (similar to the Open Curriculum of U Rochester rather than most LACs). He also prefers a mix of hands on with book learning and not just books.

We're going to be checking out Juniata here in PA and possibly Warren Wilson in NC based upon recommendations.

We're a little weird that we're Christian and more conservative economically (not super conservative - and not really conservative with green issues) so this is going to be perhaps a harder find. I'd like to have a few we can visit. So, I'm open to any suggestions if you know of something nearby, via word of mouth, or any other "source."

If you know of a smaller college that mainly has a great botany program he might be swayed by that.

His ACT/SAT scores are good, but not likely to be tippy top. I'm hoping for a 30 or 31, but he could easily end up with a 26 - 28 as that's where he tests now and he's not super interested/motivated in upping his score. His interest is just not one that aligns itself well with the SAT/ACT other than for scholarships... GPA (since he's my ps boy) is decent. It's 4.3 weighted and roughly 3.8 unweighted, but remember the caliber of my school with that... His "academic" foundation isn't the greatest school-wise, but it's superb for what he's interested in as he does a lot of study outside of school. He has a Plant & Animal Science class coming up this fall and his teacher confided in me that she's concerned she he'll already be past the content of her course... He's always doing plant/insect independent home studies and reading about green technology when he can.

So, we're looking to find places that would help him fill his niche.

Suggestions?

One of my biologist friends strongly recommends Earlham for its emphasis on hands on. I'll link to their biology page but admit that this Quaker college may be too liberal for your liking.

A small Christian college that does a great job with environmental education is Montreat in the NC mountains. The Appalachian Trail backs up onto the college property which is gorgeous.

One of my biologist friends strongly recommends Earlham for its emphasis on hands on. I'll link to their biology page but admit that this Quaker college may be too liberal for your liking.

A small Christian college that does a great job with environmental education is Montreat in the NC mountains. The Appalachian Trail backs up onto the college property which is gorgeous.

It doesn't have to be a Christian College, but it's ok if it is. Whether he goes Christian or secular will be 100% up to him. I think he'd more concerned with the rest of the fit (hands on, bio, etc).

The liberal vs conservative part is going to be tricky. We're more libertarian with certain exceptions (green issues, immigration are among our exceptions - no problem with "live and let live" with social issues). He won't want a school where he's the odd one out with Christian beliefs, but has no problem being in the minority.

Thanks for the suggestions. We'll check them out!

Juniata is a great idea. Warren Wilson is in such a lovely area. They aren't a particularly wealthy college if financial aid is a concern. Eckerd might be also worth looking at - it is Southern, great environmental science, good hands on.

If you are economically eligible, Berea College might be worth considering. Ut is a work college like Warren Wilson, but it attracts a more conservative (or at least more Christian) student body. It is in Kentucky so that's more Southern. They offer a sustainability major but I don't think it is going to be as flexible as some of the other schools you are considering.

For something totally different - and not at all southern - he could look at Northland in Wisconsin. It is an all environmental science college, beautiful area, very hands on education.

Thanks for the suggestions! I have limited time right now as we're all about to play a game of Rook, but tomorrow morning I expect to look into more of these.

I did look at Earlham and suspect it is a bit more liberal than we would like. He's not fond of anyone trying to "mold" him into anything other than what he is (that would include us parents, of course). He only wants to be himself (rather quirky) and share academically in what he loves regardless of anyone's political or religious (or otherwise) leanings. They seem to emphasize molding the whole person quite a bit on their website. Their Bio sounds awesome though - esp studying spiders as that's what youngest is doing at the moment. He has a few different types he's keeping and watching hunt, etc.

I do know he'd prefer tropical if we can find it. I'll have to look more esp at Eckerd tomorrow. Am I correct in thinking that's the one we used to live fairly near when we lived in FL?

I will check out the others, too, as one never knows what he'll be into in another year. (He's done bats, insects, carnivorous plants, and more for special interest stuff all on his own.)

Gotta go. The family is waiting!

Drew University is a small, liberal arts college in Madison, NJ. They had a good botany department when I went there (back with the dinosaurs - I was a biology major ;)) and it looks like they have an environmental science and sustainability major right now. They are a Methodist university, but you wouldn't know it from the undergrad population. Very diverse. I remember the professors being accessible and helpful, in general.

If you're looking too, be sure to share! ;) It could be kind of neat if our kids ended up at the same place - unlikely, of course, but nonetheless, kind of neat!

I have a dd who is very interested in science: natural history, animals, the environment, etc. She is also very good with children, and I am thinking she would make one great science teacher! I had already looked at Warren Wilson and wanted to remember to check out these others, so I posted that emoticon so I wouldn't lose the thread.

Drew University is a small, liberal arts college in Madison, NJ. They had a good botany department when I went there (back with the dinosaurs - I was a biology major ;)) and it looks like they have an environmental science and sustainability major right now. They are a Methodist university, but you wouldn't know it from the undergrad population. Very diverse. I remember the professors being accessible and helpful, in general.

Wow, I'm from NJ and I don't remember ever hearing of this school. I don't even know where Madison is, I don't think. It must be in the north. I'm from southern NJ.

When I saw the thread title, my first thought was Michigan Tech, which has a great environmental science program. Then I noticed you mentioned "tropical." Since Tech is in Michigan's upper peninsula and gets like 200+ inches of snow each winter, I'm guessing it's not going to be a good fit. :lol:

But, I figured I'd throw it out there in case it helps any of the folks listening in on the thread!

Since Tech is in Michigan's upper peninsula and gets like 200+ inches of snow each winter, I'm guessing it's not going to be a good fit. :lol:

But, I figured I'd throw it out there in case it helps any of the folks listening in on the thread!

Yeah, I don't think I could convince him to go there when one of his major problems with Unity is the location in Maine... There probably isn't a whole lot of difference with the weather.

But it's certainly good to add it to the list for others to glean!

Eckerd remains a possibility. The chap doesn't remember much of it since we moved when he was 6 months old, but he was born near St Pete. Maybe "tropical" is in his genes... ;)

I have a dd who is very interested in science: natural history, animals, the environment, etc. She is also very good with children, and I am thinking she would make one great science teacher! I had already looked at Warren Wilson and wanted to remember to check out these others, so I posted that emoticon so I wouldn't lose the thread.

Wow, I'm from NJ and I don't remember ever hearing of this school. I don't even know where Madison is, I don't think. It must be in the north. I'm from southern NJ.

Yes, it's in Northern NJ - Morris County near Morristown. I thought I would mention that I believe they still have a teacher's ed program in cahoots with the college down the street (it was either Fairleigh Dickenson or College of St. Elizabeth) - since you mentioned the 'science teacher' angle.

No one's every heard of the school. ;) It gets mentioned regularly as a "hidden gem" and "one of the best, small, liberal arts universities that no one's ever heard of" :001_smile: Former Governor of NJ Tom Kean was president there for many years after his stint as governor.

Yeah, I don't think I could convince him to go there when one of his major problems with Unity is the location in Maine... There probably isn't a whole lot of difference with the weather.

But it's certainly good to add it to the list for others to glean!

Eckerd remains a possibility. The chap doesn't remember much of it since we moved when he was 6 months old, but he was born near St Pete. Maybe "tropical" is in his genes... ;)

It's too bad about the weather. Michigan Tech is a top flight environmental research schoo with a lovely botany departmentl and in the top 200 tier 1's. It's a smaller state school with a very reasonable student/professor ratio and a beautiful location and they like "out of the box" thinkers...however, it is not for the faint of heart when it comes to the love of winter. There is a reason they are pretty good at hockey up there! :D

Unfortunately, in terms of small to mid-size school, I think that's going to be tougher. Many of the best botany and environmental majors are at the land-grant universities. U of Florida is supposed to have a very, very good program, but again a big school. I've also heard some decent things about Swathmore but that's not getting him significantly south. There's U of Hawaii!!!! They have a lovely botany major. :biggrinjester: (Does he want to come home on every break????)

University of British Columbia - if not adverse to leaving the country. While it isn't tropical, it isn't typical northern either. B.C. is home to one of the world's most interesting temperate rainforests. The ecology there is really quite unique and it's received quite a bit of attention since there was a movement to bring an oil pipeline through the heart of the forest. Lots of research going on in that region.

U of New Mexico would not have an emphasis in tropical botany, but desert botany is very, very interesting. Though a land grant school, due to being in the heart of very large, sparsely populated western states, it doesn't have the same killer big feel that the Mid-Western and Mid-Atlantic land grant schools have.

Faith

U of Hawaii was his first choice, but he doesn't like how big it is, how urban it is and, upon talking with someone who went there, how cliquish it is (mainlanders aren't really accepted by islanders). If he opts for grad school, it could be a choice, but right now he doesn't want grad school. I think he'd make a great park ranger or similar. He's thinking he wants to go overseas with something like the Peace Corps.

We are keeping U Hawaii on the list for applications though. Each of my boys has had an early first choice, looked for others, thought they'd be going to others, then happily ended up at their first choice. The pattern may be set... but with the pattern we're at the stage of looking for others based upon what he's telling me regarding fit after having visited an assortment with his older brothers.

Edited by creekland

• 1 month later...

Haven't read all the others, but. . .

If you guys are conservative, Eckerd may be a tough fit as it's a pretty liberal school from all I hear.

If he's interested in tropical studies, look at Florida Gulf Coast University.

#2 went there last year & they have a very hands-on approach to the Environmental studies dept. 1/2 the campus has to (by charter) remain a wildlife preserve so it's easy to get into "the field." Plus Ft. Myers is officially in the sub-tropics.

Thanks to all. Currently he's telling me it has to be a Christian college as he wants to double major in ministry. Actually, he wants to now major in ministry and give up bio/botany/sustainability all together, but mean ole mom (that would be me) is making him keep it in for now. I'm seriously wondering if he made some sort of bargain with God around when his epilepsy hit. I hate to see him give up the talent and "love" he's had since he's been a toddler. He has always had bio/botany experiments of some sort going on, etc, etc.

So, I'm hopeful if he at least does both he'll work his talents into whatever happens in his life rather than give them up. I kind of refuse to believe God gave him all those talents wanting him to give them up in favor of pure ministry - time will tell.

He still has his three science courses at school this year (Advanced Bio - a cc course, Plant & Animal Science, and Wildlife & Natural Resources). Hopefully those might rekindle some of the spark.

FTR, I have NO issues with ministry... I just wonder about my guy dropping his talents completely. I could definitely see a combo if that's what he wants.