Menu

Need Pre Alg/Algebra recommendation

Guest potocki99

Guest potocki99

My going into 9th grade daughter wanted to hone her pre algebra skills and work ahead for algebra. Her private school uses Saxon (gag). Any recommendation on what to use/what to do? She is very hands on/artsy so doing a workbook type scenario isn't the greatest idea for her.

TIA!

You can try out YourTeacher.com free through HSBC right now. I am looking at that for DS, as well as some of the Switched on Schoolhouse materials. I also use AhaMath, Plato Learning's math program and some online textbooks from time to time. DS hasn't decided what he wants for his "main" program come fall so we are still evaluating.

Teaching Textbooks looked good to me, but reviewers told me the lessons were a little drawn out and repetitive. DS would not go for that.

My older son liked Harold Jacobs too and so did I. it's really fun and insightful at the same time, the perfect combination for me. Our son's private school later used Saxon until they eventually found out that the kids "didn't understand anything afterwards" (quote from the head math teacher). There may be nothing you can do but when I see schools using saxon I have the same feeling as when I see college kids smoking or people jaywalking into a busy street: I feel the need to say something but I suspect it won't do any good.

Edited by mathwonk

• 2 weeks later...

My DD is using Lials. She LOVES it. We bought them on amazon for a super low amount...like $4.00. MY DD is going into 6th and has been working in this book over a year slowly. We are working through the end of it now before school starts. It is wonderful review. The answers are all in the back. They also have a website you can use in addition to the book for practice... http://interactmath.com/Default.aspx

The book is written to the student and very easy to self teach. We have blown through Lials Basic College Math...Pre Alg.

My son has Lials Beginning Alg. which is alg. 1 and that is also a very easy book to follow.

Love Teaching Textbooks.Love this program for afterschool and math gaps or honing in on skills.You can use Chapter Test to assess before beginning each Chapter to determine if you need to review that material. Each lesson takes roughly 25-30 minutes. Cannot speak highly enough about this program.

Ihave both PreAlg and Alg I complete set that I am getting ready to sell thatI have not posted for sale yet.If someone is interested will sell both for $154ppd paypal accepted.

afterschool and math gaps.

Another vote for HOE. Here's my review. With an older kid, make sure to get the verbal problems book to go with it.

I have levels 1, 2 and 3 on the ipad were going to do next month, which book should I get? they list the verbals problems intro workbook and the verbal problems book for digital downloads, do I need both?

Edited by BlueTaelon
spelling

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought this somewhat pricey new one for my granddaughter (age 11).

http://www.amazon.com/Elementary-Algebra-Harold-R-Jacobs/dp/0716710471/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344197579&sr=1-1&keywords=harold+jacobs+elementary+algebra

I'll look for a used one....I couldn't find any in good condition that were noticeably less. Some were even more. But its a really good book, fun, imaginative, challenging and mathematically sound. It was originally recommended to me by a math ed professor at UGA (the best program in the country by one rating agency) and I still like it. The amazon site above has a lot of reviews including mine.

Harold Jacobs also has a site where he answers question I think.

Here is a site with reviews by home schoolers, mostly but not all positive. I am puzzled by the ones that say Jacobs is too easy, since last summer I could not do all the problems myself that we chose from it for our epsilon kids. Maybe those users skipped the harder problem sets. Or maybe they already knew basic algebra, it is only an elementary algebra book.

http://www.homeschoolmath.net/curriculum_reviews/harold-jacobs.php

Jacobs has three problem sets as I recall, the first one is easy and the next two are straightforward and the 4th one is challenging, sometimes quite challenging indeed. My son had just the opposite experience with Saxon as some of these critics of Jacobs. He (and everyone I know) found Saxon problems easy and boring, and Jacobs problems more interesting, fun and challenging. Of course we chose the challenging ones (like the one on 4 dimensional cubes in geometry, and the pythagorean theorem with pictures of pythgoras on the sides instead of squares).

Here are more sites with reviews and some comparison of Jacobs and Saxon.

http://www.pahomeschoolers.com/jacobs.html

http://www.exodusbooks.com/category.aspx?id=2493

Edited by mathwonk