Menu

First day back to work...baby won't drink my frozen milk!!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Ok, just some thoughts. Maybe some will help. :-)

If your baby does "forsake" you, it won't be because of formula instead of mother's milk. It will be because of the bottle. It doesn't feel the same as Mom, it's easier nurse from a bottle than from Mom.

Did Mr. Melissa warm your milk? It isn't necessary, really, except that when your baby nurses, he gets warm milk. So maybe your milk in a bottle that was room temperature instead of body temperature was just wrong to him.

You know, I'm sure Mr. Melissa and the baby were both frantic, but I'd sure encourage Mr. Melissa to hang tough and work with the baby to feed him breast milk instead of formula, even if it means Mr. Melissa has to use an eye dropper and drop it into baby's mouth. He could even try lying down with the baby.

I had a little one who would not take ANY bottle, ever (I hauled her everywhere, even to evening church meetings when I REALLY would have liked to leave her at home) until I found a bottle nipple that let her have her mouth open like she did when she nursed. It was a while ago now, and I'm sure Playtex has made a fortune off those things! So if you haven't tried one of those, I suggest that, along with warming the milk to body temp as Ellie said.

Best of luck! It WILL work out!:)

had she had your milk in a bottle before? Was it frozen or just refrigerated? I tended to just refrigerate normally, but either way, only thing I can think of is high lipase levels causing it to taste weird....there are ways to help that, including scalding the milk shortly after pumping. But if that was the issue you would have known before now, if you have tried bottles in the past.

You warm the milk by putting the bottle in another glass or bowl of warm water. Then twirl don't shake to avoid breaking the proteins down.

And, try a cup. Even little babies will use a cup or syringe for feeding. You can get larger syringes from the pharmacy.

:iagree: When my oldest was an infant, DH had to resort to a plastic Solo cup to get her to drink my pumped milk. Once she understood that the good stuff was coming from there, she gave in. After that first day or two, we got a sippy cup we could use with the valve removed, and she was fine. Hey, you want to amaze your friends and family? Show up with a 3-month-old who can (eagerly!) drink from a cup :lol:

You warm the milk by putting the bottle in another glass or bowl of warm water. Then twirl don't shake to avoid breaking the proteins down.

And, try a cup. Even little babies will use a cup or syringe for feeding. You can get larger syringes from the pharmacy.

:iagree:Ds would take a cup but not a bottle.

I would also recommend you check the milk. It goes bad very fast. When I pumped at work, I had to place it in a cooler with several frozen ice packs and keep the whole thing in the fridge. When I got home, I had to immediately freeze it.

ETA: I also had to use the faster flow bottles. DS wouldn't take the milk if he had to work for it.

My dd wouldn't drink my breast milk from a bottle either--or so we thought.

Oldest drank breast milk cold from the refridgerator. I forgot that other people warm the milk. I tried giving dd a bottle and she wouldn't take it. One day I left the house so dh would be the one to feed her. He noticed that she finally took it after it had been sitting on the counter for hours. He had not returned it to refridgerator after each try. That's when he realized it needed to be warmed up. All was fine after that. I pumped and breast fed her until 14 months or so. Weaning had nothing to do with getting a bottle at 3 months.

had she had your milk in a bottle before? Was it frozen or just refrigerated? I tended to just refrigerate normally, but either way, only thing I can think of is high lipase levels causing it to taste weird....there are ways to help that, including scalding the milk shortly after pumping. But if that was the issue you would have known before now, if you have tried bottles in the past.

This is the first thing I thought of. I have high lipase. My milk turned really, really nasty-tasting after about five minutes in the fridge.

"They" say that most babies will drink high lipase milk anyway, but I can't imagine anyone drinking something that tasted like that. DD wouldn't take a bottle anyway and I didn't work, so it wasn't an issue for us. I did donate to a friend and I was sure to scald that milk first before freezing it. Her son never had a problem with it

ETA: Here's what kellymom says about milk that doesn't taste/smell fresh. IDK if this is your problem, but it's really easy to figure out. You just have to be brave and try some. ;)

Edited by Dealea86

I'm going to try scalding my milk before I freeze it and see if that helps. I only work one day every 2 weeks or so (as needed basis). I guess it won't be terrible if he gets a little formula every once in awhile ;). He will take the bottle itself only with formula and not with breastmilk :confused: so it must be a taste issue. FWIW my 2nd ds never would drink from a bottle and he always used a cup when I was gone but I didn't return to work til he as almost 7 months old so he was eating baby food. I bet I will have a baby who nurses all night tonight :)

Breast milk can be kept at room temp for 24 hours unlike formula. So, you can pump before you leave and put it on the counter, if need be. You don't need to freeze milk if you pump regularly. Freezing does change the composition a bit.

What is your pumping schedule like? You might try keeping just the first 5-10 min of milk. It is usually a bit richer if you were not just nursing. It is the milk that sits in the ducts.