Menu

Vacuum for wood/tile, wood care???

I've decided to keep our Kirby upstairs, which is 100% carpet. Downstairs is 40% wood and 60% tile. I need a vacuum that works best on hard floors. Any recommendations.

Also, I've never had to care for this much wood in a house before. I've been sweeping and mopping with a damp dust mop, but the floors aren't looking as nice as they did when we moved in. Do I need to buy something to keep them looking nice? I need a wood care 101 class.

I've decided to keep our Kirby upstairs, which is 100% carpet. Downstairs is 40% wood and 60% tile. I need a vacuum that works best on hard floors. Any recommendations.

Also, I've never had to care for this much wood in a house before. I've been sweeping and mopping with a damp dust mop, but the floors aren't looking as nice as they did when we moved in. Do I need to buy something to keep them looking nice? I need a wood care 101 class.

I love our Miele Canister vacuum. It works fantastically on hard floors. I wouldn't use anything else!

I have 1500 sq. ft. of hardwood downstairs, carpet upstairs.

The Electrolux upright stays upstairs most of the time.

THe Electrolux cannister stays downstairs.

Any kind of cannister vac will probably be fine. I've tried the "stick vacs," but apparently not the right kind, lol, as they just didn't seem to do the job.

Sweeping just doesn't do as well as vacuuming. However, you can use a Swiffer-type thingie, and that does a pretty good job (I have a microfiber dust "mop" that does well).

To actually *clean* the wood, I use Bona. Spray it on, mop it dry with a microfiber mob, easy peasy.

We have a 10 year old Sebo that I really like. Prior to owning this vacuum, I had a string of cheap vacuums that died within a year. The Sebo has been so reliable and does a great job on carpet or hard floors.

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

I've never heard of Sebo. I wonder if they have that model at the sewing and vacuum store. Ten years impresses me. I've had my Kirby for six years and only had to replace the belt once. Is yours a canister or upright vacuum?

I have 1500 sq. ft. of hardwood downstairs, carpet upstairs.

The Electrolux upright stays upstairs most of the time.

THe Electrolux cannister stays downstairs.

Any kind of cannister vac will probably be fine. I've tried the "stick vacs," but apparently not the right kind, lol, as they just didn't seem to do the job.

Sweeping just doesn't do as well as vacuuming. However, you can use a Swiffer-type thingie, and that does a pretty good job (I have a microfiber dust "mop" that does well).

To actually *clean* the wood, I use Bona. Spray it on, mop it dry with a microfiber mob, easy peasy.

My mom has an Electrolux from the 70's that still works! I didn't know they were still made. As for the care and cleaning, how often do you use Bona? Does it build up over time. I have a steam mop that I've been hesitant to use, even though I've read that it's fine for wood flooring.

My mom has an Electrolux from the 70's that still works! I didn't know they were still made. As for the care and cleaning, how often do you use Bona? Does it build up over time. I have a steam mop that I've been hesitant to use, even though I've read that it's fine for wood flooring.

I bought my first Electrolux, an upright, in 1982. We replaced it in 2004, only because it needed a very minor repair and we couldn't find a part.

Bone is water-based. It doesn't build up at all (unlike, say, Murphy's Oil, which can). I also have a steam mop, but I like Bona better. I use it...when I think about it, lol. But I could use it daily.

We use our Dyson upright on all wood and tile. We have a canister of dog hair per day per room. Yuk! Then, about every 6 months I do a steam cleaning on the tile. Any more than that and it would attract mold here in south Florida. The wood needs Murphy Oil treatments about once a month or so to keep them looking fabulous and new. Just apply after vacuuming.

HTH

:)

I like a canister on hard floors. It picks up so much more than an upright (unless you have one with suction all across the front and not just a hole on one side) or a broom . . .especially if you have a pet with fine hair. I've had a Kenmore progressive for 12-13 years now, but I'm not sure they still make it :-/

We have a Panasonic canister for our hardwood and love it. For every week cleaning I mop with water with vinegar. Murphy's oil soap can cause build-up so it's probably best to use every few months. I don't claim to be an expert... I've only lived in our current house for 6 months.

I love the Roomba idea but we're looking to cover up as much of the hardwood as possible so it might not be practical for us to get.

If you don't already have one, go get a Swiffer vacuum. That's all I ever used on my wood & tile, the battery charge lasted just long enough for me to quickly go through the kitchen, lr, 2 beds & bath. Even if it isn't your main vacuum it's perfect for quick pickups. Loved mine so much! It got all the dog hair, and it was perfect for the kids to use too. They don't sell them here in Australia, I am seriously considering having someone send me one and using a power converter for it!