Menu

Science for girls who "hate" it?

My boys love science. Absolutely love it. They can't get enough physics and chemistry.

But, I'll be homeschooling my daughter and stepdaughter (12 and 13) for the first time this fall and I'm at a loss about what to do for science. DSD says she hates science and wishes it would "just go die in a hole" (:lol:). She also hates math and is really into languages right now. DD says science is her least favorite subject, but she loves math and actually says she wants to be an orthodontist. They've been in public school up until now and both have done pretty well in science.

I'm drawing a blank about what to do. They can't (or won't) give me any ideas about things they'd be interested in studying. They're not into horses or any other animals, they don't like building things and my stepdaughter thinks that the human body is the grossest thing in the world.

Do I even try to find something exciting, interesting and hands-on? Would I be wasting my time trying to spark an interest in science at this point? I'll have a lot on my plate this year, so I want to direct my energy where it's most needed and I'm starting to think a "get it done" or online science curriculum might be a better choice for everyone.

Any thoughts on this? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Have they ever been introduced to a fantasy or science fiction story where the main characters are ants or bees? I have yet to find a student who is not fascinated with the matriarchal society of colony insects.

Mountain climbing adventures is another area that seems to catch the attention of reluctant learners who like a good story. So much science is involved.

The science of cooking is interesting. Cooking at my house always includes at least one science topic being introduced to who ever is hanging around.

Okay not horses, but what about some other type of pet?

What about creating house plants from trash? Modern seeds often don't work, and discussion about which ones do and why covers a lot, as well as the general plant care.

I'd get a lean and mean "just do it" workbook and then try some haphazard enrichment when you feel like it.

If they aren't helping you, then find something you can teach easily. If you want an online program then maybe something like Exploration Education physical science? It has lots of hands on projects and people really seem to like it.Or, and I know I sound like a broken record, try a couple Tops science units. It is all hands on and usually addresses things from several different angles. You graph, you sketch, you write a paragraph, you do a little math.

Focus on the skills they need in science, which at this age is learning how much science uses math, and just go from there. Make sure you know what you are doing, or like what you are teaching. That way, when they complain at least you will be enjoying yourself.

Edited by redsquirrel

DD11 1/2 just started watching the Australian series "H2O Just Add Water." (A teen drama about girls who become mermaids.) She says she still hates science, but wants to learn about marine biology and astronomy. I'm sure it's a phase, but I'll take advantage of it while I can!! :001_rolleyes:

If they aren't helping you, then find something you can teach easily. If you want an online program then maybe something like Exploration Education physical science? It has lots of hands on projects and people really seem to like it.Or, and I know I sound like a broken record, try a couple Tops science units. It is all hands on and usually addresses things from several different angles. You graph, you sketch, you write a paragraph, you do a little math.

Focus on the skills they need in science, which at this age is learning how much science uses math, and just go from there. Make sure you know what you are doing, or like what you are teaching. That way, when they complain at least you will be enjoying yourself.

I haven't tried the Tops units yet, but I was thinking about using a couple with my younger boys this year. I'll have the girls look through the list and see if anything looks good to them.

I'm sure this is a stupid question, but is Exploration Education meant to be done in one year? I wasn't planning on having them do science every day, so that might not work for us. Thanks for the suggestion though! The elementary level looks like it could be perfect for my little guys. :)

DD11 1/2 just started watching the Australian series "H2O Just Add Water." (A teen drama about girls who become mermaids.) She says she still hates science, but wants to learn about marine biology and astronomy. I'm sure it's a phase, but I'll take advantage of it while I can!! :001_rolleyes:

Lucky! I love when they get on a little kick like that.

Hunter - thanks for all the great suggestions! You've given me some research to do! :tongue_smilie:

Yes, 12/13yo girls are freaky about bodies :tongue_smilie:, so I would NOT do anatomy or biology -- maybe an integrated science or a mix of topics...

More importantly, you may just need to do some serious "de-schooling" for the first semester for the transition from public school to homeschooling -- and that is going to be a *tough* age, especially for girls, to come home -- AND one is a step-daughter, which will make things even more dicey.

So you may want to keep history and science light and informal for the first semester -- do field trips (museums, tour a cave, nature hikes (make a leaf collection; do plant identification), visit an arboretum, enjoy a Mad Science performance, do a night sky telescope viewing, see if you can line up a tour at the local university through one of the science departments, etc. Watch a lot of Bill Nye the Science Guy, Popular Science for Kids, and Mythbuster episodes. Google search for videos on various interesting topics and "bunny trails" (I once found some fascinating short video clips of glaciers moving). And just have fun with hands-on that don't seem like "boring science" (Steve Spangler's menthos and coke geyser type of things; or build a contraption to hold a raw egg and drop from the top of the nearest high school football bleachers; etc.)

The TOPS units are great for having some science experiments handy to plug in with whatever science material you are using. Even easier to plug into your science: the Educational Insights Adventures in Science kits, the Wild Goose 3-in-1 kits, and the Science in a Nutshell kits.

I TOTALLY agree with the other posters about pick something that will work for YOU! Pre-teens like to gripe a lot, so I don't know as though I would worry too much about what they might like or not like, though it's nice to give them the opportunity for input. But if they're like my DSs, I could give them a list of 50 choices that were incredibly varied, and their reactions were -- seriously! -- "naw... these are all boring..." At that point, their opportunity for input is over and *I* do the choosing based on what works for *me*. ;)

Here are some slightly different approaches:

- history of science (Beautiful Feet -- though it is too young for your girls) (take a look at the John Tiner series, "Exploring the World of...")

- literature-based science (Guest Hollow)

- kitchen chemistry (Science Experiments You Can Eat (Cobb); The Science Chef (D'Amico); and Amazing Kitchen Chemistry Projects You Can Build Yourself (Brown) )

- forensics or spy science (crime scene science kit; forensic science lesson plans; free NSTA forensics unit)

- science of flight -- and culminate by taking them to learn how to pilot a glider!

- 4-H animal husbandry (dog training, raising a rabbit or guinea pig, etc. -- you learn a lot about zoology of specific animals through the weekly meetings)

- outsource: homeschool co-op; join a science club; Jason Project; PLATO Learning; etc.

Or, do an unusual science topic that may appeal (here is a long list):

- food and nutrition (Academy of Science food science kit)

- horticulture (plant cultivation/gardening)

- environmental science

- ecology (Academy of Science ecology kit)

- biomes (climate areas, such as desert, arctic, etc.)

- weather (meteorology) (Academy of Science weather kit)

- linguistics

Or, just tell them to suck it up, and get something that just gets it done -- Rainbow Science comes to mind -- short and simple lessons, all the supplies included, written to the student and done almost completely solo by the student -- you would just need to buy a second student lab book. Another "get 'er done" option might be a Prentice Hall Explorer textbook. The age of the two girls suggests they are 7th/8th grades, which is when many people do Physical Science, but the PH Explorer series has lots of other topics to choose from, including more specialized/unusual topics such as Environmental Science, Weather and Climate, Earth's Water, and Astronomy.

BEST of luck in finding what works best! And GOOD LUCK as you begin the homeschooling journey with those girls! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

Do they like history? Joy Hakim's The Story of Science is a TERRIFIC 3-book series on the history of astronomy, chemistry, and physics (no 'gross' biology!! :lol: ) from the ancient Greeks to the 20th century. I taught it as a co-op class last year and there were a couple non-science loving pre-teen girls in the class. I won't say I converted them into science-lovers, but they had fun and learned a lot. If you did it as an at-home class it would be mostly reading and discussion - there are Teacher Quest Guides and Student Quest Guides for the first two books that have some activities, but not a lot of what I'd actually call labs, but it's pretty easy to find supplementary activities. It's much more of a narrative than most science courses, and I think that appeals to a lot of girls. The three books are Aristotle Leads the Way, Newton at the Center and Einstein Adds a New Dimension.

Do they like history? Joy Hakim's The Story of Science is a TERRIFIC 3-book series on the history of astronomy, chemistry, and physics (no 'gross' biology!!

Not the original poster, but -- THANK YOU, Denise! I *knew* there was a history-based science out there at the middle school and up level, but could NOT remember which it was! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Lori - thanks so much for taking the time to help us out! Reading back through my post, I do make it seem like they're pretty difficult, but they're actually both really sweet girls and are looking forward to coming home. I don't think they'll actually complain too much about what we're doing, but I'm not sure they'll find it exciting either.

Going through your (very thorough :D) list with the girls, they think that kitchen chemistry/food science and forensic science look alright, so I'll take a closer look into those and see what I can figure out. Thanks so much for the links! They're making my job a lot easier. :)

I used Interactive Science from Singapore with my oldest in 6th and 7th, so that's my back-up plan. I think it's perfect for learning the science skills, but it's not the kind of program that will make anyone love science.

Deniseibase - this looks great! I have one history-lover and one who hasn't had much world history but seems to like it just fine. This might do the trick!

Rainefox - my son actually owns a few of those, but I never thought of them! Thanks, I'll take a look and see if they'd be something the girls would like.

Thanks, Debbie, I'll check into those too. :)

I love Thames and Kosmos kits. THere is one that you could do along with the history of science books called Milstone in Science- http://www.thamesandkosmos.com/products/ms/ms.html The book in the kit is very good so you might not even need the history books.

I am not trying to say anything bad but just a warning: one thing my mom said she always regretted was telling my sister and I that it was ok that we didn't like math and science and so we never put any effort into it. She didn't care if I got a C in what were considered "boy" subjects. She pushed my brothers who all excelled in math and science and let my sister and I slide by. I am not saying that this is what you are doing, but it is easy to say that they are girls and don't like gross stuff and expect less.

I love science now that I am teaching it to my kids and I just soak it up because I never really got it or understood it before. My husband is a PhD in chemistry so it would be easy for me to just pass science over to him, but I am determined to be a good example fo my kids that girls are no different than boys when it comes to being smart or good at certain subjects.

I do agree that some kids just don't like math and science as much as others and that some are right brained and others left. I just feel like maybe we need to circumvent that feeling and try and find a way to make math and science work for everyone. My ds is a year ahead in math and loves anything scientific. My dd is an artistic type and doesn't grasp math concepts well, but then along came Life of Fred and that fixed our problem. Then I found the WinterPromise science program in Equine History because she wants to be a horse farmer when she grows up. I also found that doing science WITH them and being engaged in conversation helps a lot.

I love Thames and Kosmos kits. THere is one that you could do along with the history of science books called Milstone in Science- http://www.thamesandkosmos.com/products/ms/ms.html The book in the kit is very good so you might not even need the history books.

I am not trying to say anything bad but just a warning: one thing my mom said she always regretted was telling my sister and I that it was ok that we didn't like math and science and so we never put any effort into it. She didn't care if I got a C in what were considered "boy" subjects. She pushed my brothers who all excelled in math and science and let my sister and I slide by. I am not saying that this is what you are doing, but it is easy to say that they are girls and don't like gross stuff and expect less.

I love science now that I am teaching it to my kids and I just soak it up because I never really got it or understood it before. My husband is a PhD in chemistry so it would be easy for me to just pass science over to him, but I am determined to be a good example fo my kids that girls are no different than boys when it comes to being smart or good at certain subjects.

I do agree that some kids just don't like math and science as much as others and that some are right brained and others left. I just feel like maybe we need to circumvent that feeling and try and find a way to make math and science work for everyone. My ds is a year ahead in math and loves anything scientific. My dd is an artistic type and doesn't grasp math concepts well, but then along came Life of Fred and that fixed our problem. Then I found the WinterPromise science program in Equine History because she wants to be a horse farmer when she grows up. I also found that doing science WITH them and being engaged in conversation helps a lot.

Thanks so much for the kit recommendation! I'm starting to get my mind around a course with using The Story of Science, this kit, a little bit of Interactive Science to work on math skills in science and maybe some forensic science for fun. They both love to read, so I think this could work. I'm actually excited about this now! :)

I understand exactly what you mean, and it really does concern me that they haven't enjoyed learning about science so far. They've been in public school up until now and I'm not sure whether there's been enough emphasis that girls can do well in science and math too. My daughter absolutely loves math, but she was disappointed that there were only 5 other girls in her advanced math class this year. I know that the high schools here do really encourage girls to pursue science and engineering, but I don't think that's trickled down to the middle school level yet.

My Dh and I both have decent backgrounds in science, so I'm comfortable teaching high school level science (and they will be doing 4 years of rigorous sciences in high school), but at this point it's really just a matter of whether I'll actually have time to teach it all. It's going to be a crazy year!

And you might want to look at those John Tiner books as an enjoyable reading go-along for that cool-looking Milestones in Science kit; each chapter focuses on a different scientist and key discovery. Very interesting reading!

Below are the ones we read, and what I considered the best age range for each. BEST of luck in your new school year with more students at home! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Exploring Planet Earth (gr. 5-7)

History of Medicine (gr. 5-8)

World of Chemistry (gr. 6-9)

World of Physics (gr. 6-9)

World of Mathematics (gr. 7-10)

And you might want to look at those John Tiner books as an enjoyable reading go-along for that cool-looking Milestones in Science kit; each chapter focuses on a different scientist and key discovery. Very interesting reading!

Below are the ones we read, and what I considered the best age range for each. BEST of luck in your new school year with more students at home! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Exploring Planet Earth (gr. 5-7)

History of Medicine (gr. 5-8)

World of Chemistry (gr. 6-9)

World of Physics (gr. 6-9)

World of Mathematics (gr. 7-10)

Thanks again!

The Tiner books were going to be my suggestion too. I just bought History of Medicine and Exploring the World of Biology for 5th grade. I will be sticking with them for Chemistry and Physics for middle school and wishing there was one for space and earth for 6th grade. Don't know what I am going to do that year...

Going through your (very thorough :D) list with the girls, they think that kitchen chemistry/food science and forensic science look alright, so I'll take a closer look into those and see what I can figure out. Thanks so much for the links! They're making my job a lot easier. :)

ONe of the homeschool science programs has a whole chemistry course where the projects/labs are food based! This is the main page: http://www.eequalsmcq.com/CSAdvChemChapterDwnld.htm

And this is the list of labs: http://www.eequalsmcq.com/FD%20Adv%20Chem%20Materials%20List.pdf

To the OP...

FWIW, my dd12 is a science HATER!!!! I mean, she really, really, really dislikes it with a passion!!!!!!! She was in ps from Pre-K-Gr.5. The way science is taught in school has turned her off completely. I didn't help matters much when I outsourced science our fist year of homeschooling. The class was advanced, and although it was pretty tough, she pulled through in the end and did well. However, she was turned off by the textbook approach. This past year we've been very relaxed with science but I'm getting itchy to more science with her. I've found the following information in these threads very helpful. Maybe there's something for you too:

science...again....someone shoot me now

For those of you who did interest-led science in the younger years..questions!

Good luck.

ONe of the homeschool science programs has a whole chemistry course where the projects/labs are food based! This is the main page: http://www.eequalsmcq.com/CSAdvChemChapterDwnld.htm

And this is the list of labs: http://www.eequalsmcq.com/FD%20Adv%20Chem%20Materials%20List.pdf

Thanks! Somehow I've never really looked into Mr. Q, but that might be the best way to get my least sciency kid through chemistry!

To the OP...

FWIW, my dd12 is a science HATER!!!! I mean, she really, really, really dislikes it with a passion!!!!!!! She was in ps from Pre-K-Gr.5. The way science is taught in school has turned her off completely. I didn't help matters much when I outsourced science our fist year of homeschooling. The class was advanced, and although it was pretty tough, she pulled through in the end and did well. However, she was turned off by the textbook approach. This past year we've been very relaxed with science but I'm getting itchy to more science with her. I've found the following information in these threads very helpful. Maybe there's something for you too:

science...again....someone shoot me now

For those of you who did interest-led science in the younger years..questions!

Good luck.

Thanks so much! Great threads. I think my daughter is like yours - good at science but burnt out by the public school approach. My stepdaughter, on the other hand, just isn't bent that way. Hopefully a year of something a little different will work for both of them. :)

I would also recommend Ellen McHenry's The Elements and Carbon Chemistry. This is appealing to a wide age range. While these studies are a mix of fun reading, games, and hands on, they provide a solid foundation in science. If you do a search you will find many positive reviews of these curricula. McHenry has a number of other unit studies such as the Brain, Cells, etc.. which could also be used.

• 1 year later...