Menu

Tell me about The Logic of English...

BatmansWife

Yes it is new. You can buy it Rainbow Resource now as well. The price isn't that different, but you could save on shipping. I bought ours straight from Pedia Learning (LOE) and received it very quickly. Their customer service is great.

You NEED the Teacher's book and student workbook. You will need the Basic phonogram cards, but could make your own if you have the time and want to.

We also purchased the spelling cards, grammar cards, spelling notebook and game book. The game book is great!!! You need 2 sets of game cards to play the games. I had some small blank playing cards already, so I am making my own. They are pretty easy to make.

It did come out fairly recently. I bought it at a convention, but it looks like Rainbow Resource carries it now too. I wrote more about my initial impressions of it on my blog: http://homeschooldiscoveries.com/2012/06/07/initial-impressions-of-the-logic-of-english-essentials-curriculum/

Short answer, you need a teacher's manual and probably a workbook at minimum. If you want to play the games you'll need at least the games book. If you are willing to spend some time making them yourself you could make phonogram cards or game cards instead of buying them. Spelling journal is pretty optional. If you were really looking to save $, you might be able to skip the workbook, but you would be putting together some of your own exercises. It's a really thick workbook for the price.

I don't know how I missed everything at Rainbow....maybe because there are no pictures there yet. :001_smile: I'm so glad that Rainbow has it, because I'm in the process of making my order so I can just add everthing now. Yay!

As for the game cards that Ann-Marie is making herself, would these be the game cards at Rainbow called Black Manuscript, Blue Manuscript, and Green Cursive for $10 each??

For those of you using it, do you like it and is it easy enough to implement?

Thank you for this blog review. It was very informative. My youngest will be a 3rd grader this fall too and she also used Alphabet Island (but not all of it). I also have HTTS, but just can't seem to even wrap my brain around how to use it. :001_huh: I'm anxious to try LOE now!

Yes, the game cards are the black & blue manuscript and green cursive decks. You could make your own, but there are also picture cards that are part of the game, in addition to the phonograms. For example, there is a "rotten egg" card, "snatch it", return to go, etc.

I am thankful that I was able to purchase the whole curriculum, but if you wanted to save money, you could forgo some of the parts.

Not to hijack, but would the games book be worth it as a supplement to another program? Specifically thinking about my Ker who will be doing OPGTR.

I would say YES if you like and want to play games. We have only just started using LOE. I love it. The game book is chock full of ideas. The game cards are really nice. What I can't tell you is how fun the games are because we have only played Bingo so far :D. I am simply saying that they LOOK and SOUND fun. :001_smile:

I thought the curriculum was too expensive, so I was planning on teaching LoE myself, using her Uncovering book and looking at the first 2 sample lessons and the scope & sequence. I started looking at it the other night to start planning, and I didn't like the order of how things are introduced. It seems to jump around and not make sense to me. Has anyone else felt this way?

After looking at it, I was glad I didn't buy the curriculum. My DD is 12 (today!) so I don't know if that makes a difference. But I think I will just teach the phonograms and spelling rules myself the way I want.

We are very happy with LoE so far. I own AAS 1-3 and we completed 1-2 but we were not happy with it anymore. LoE was just what my DD needs. She is an advanced reader but not a natural speller. She loves rules but AAS didn't go fast enough and was too repetitive. I wasn't doing a good job implementing it anymore.

We like the structure of LoE and the range of optional activities. We are spending about a week per lesson and doing the grammar, vocab, dictation, composition, and games. The cursive workbook is great practice for my DD.

I have absolutely no regrets so far--it has rejuvenated DD's interest in spelling.

We have been using LoE for a month now and are very, very happy with it. I am using it with my 9 yr. old, who has dyslexia. We have used Talking Letters and Bartons to no avail. After working with these two programs, my dd still didn't know all of her letter sounds let alone multiple letter phonograms. I was lucky to get 10 min. of work out of her and those 10 min. were usually accompanied with tears. I have been so frustrated and discouraged this past year.

Since using LoE, though, we have seen much progress. My dd is now able to work at reading for 45 min at a time, twice a day. She knows all of her single letter phonograms and some of her multiple letter ones. She is sounding out now with very little trouble and she is also able to show automaticity with some of the words now. I know that for many reading this, you are thinking that this isn't that big of a deal but for what we have been through the past 5 years, this is the most progress we have made in that period of time. I am so happy with LoE!

I think what works for dd is the multiple sensory aspect of it plus its variety. Every day is different. There is drawing, gross motor movement and the games. She loves the games! Even my ds loves playing the games with her.

As far as the expense, I am coming at this from a different angle. Each level of Bartons costs $300 and you need at least 8 levels (there are 10) before the child can be able to read sufficiently. You don't get near as much product for that $300 as you do with LoE. So I do not think LoE is expensive at all.

One day my dd and I working with LoE. She was reading through the spelling list and she looked at the word 'moon' and read it just by looking at it. She looked up at me with the most beautiful smile and said " Mom, I think I might be reading soon." That made my heart sing.

Edited by prairiegirl

One day my dd and I working with LoE. She was reading through the spelling list and she looked at the word 'moon' and read it just by looking at it. She looked up at me with the most beautiful smile and said " Mom, I think I might be reading soon." That made my heart sing.

:001_wub: That brought tears to my eyes.

I thought the curriculum was too expensive, so I was planning on teaching LoE myself, using her Uncovering book and looking at the first 2 sample lessons and the scope & sequence. I started looking at it the other night to start planning, and I didn't like the order of how things are introduced. It seems to jump around and not make sense to me. Has anyone else felt this way?

After looking at it, I was glad I didn't buy the curriculum. My DD is 12 (today!) so I don't know if that makes a difference. But I think I will just teach the phonograms and spelling rules myself the way I want.

I have Uncovering and that's what we are doing now. I don't think I need a scripted program, considering that I have various spelling books. And, I really don't want grammar mixed with spelling. Uncovering has all the phonograms, including a list of the advanced ones and all the spelling rules, as does my other book. I do have a more natural speller, so I don't want a few hundred pages of material to read through or several levels of AAS. I would have considered it if the author did not include grammar, script, or extra activities. And reduce the number of pages we would have to go through just to cover the basics. And, if she could have added the advanced phonograms. What would be nice is a workbook to go with Uncovering, but given that DD writes slowly, I have always done spelling orally, but still a workbook would be good for those days when I need DD to do some independent work.

Uncovering is actually a fun read and I'm going to recommend it to my immigrant friends. Some of them, or actually most of them, find English confusing.