Menu

Growing Old Gracefully?

It is something I do not plan on doing. While I do not want to go back to my 20s I certainly do not want to leave the house with gray hair, saggy baggy frumpy clothes, unfit body or flat shoes. I certainly do not want to sit on the porch in a rocking chair. I want to be vital and active until the day before they put me in the pine box.

To me it means accepting your age, not constantly complaining about how "old" you are, not trying to dress like a teenager - which doesn't mean you have to dress frumpy just put the bikini and mini skirt away!!!!!

Trying to look good for the age you are, rather than the age you wish you were. So basically staying healthy, keeping weight appropriate, keeping your body fit, being well groomed and stylish, but not dressing too young, piling on tons of make up, or wearing your hair the way it looked great in 1984. I think 'graceful' aging includes letting the younger women be the "hot" ones while you cultivate an attractive but refined and dignified presence.

Trying to look good for the age you are, rather than the age you wish you were. So basically staying healthy, keeping weight appropriate, keeping your body fit, being well groomed and stylish, but not dressing too young, piling on tons of make up, or wearing your hair the way it looked great in 1984. I think 'graceful' aging includes letting the younger women be the "hot" ones while you cultivate an attractive but refined and dignified presence.

:iagree:

I can tell you that it doesn't involve bleach-blonding my hair to cover the greys, starving myself to become stick-thin, squeezing into yoga pants and other twenty-something fashions, wearing false eyelashes and blue eyeliner, fake-baking or Botox injections.

I do appreciate cute fashions but take my teen dd shopping with me. While she occasionally suggests items I don't think I can successfully wear at my age, she is a great advisor when I am in doubt. She has learned to say, "I don't think so, mom," with a most gracious smile.

It does involve taking better care of myself than I used to have to, I use a bit more equipment and supplies than I used to, spend more on hair care help than I used to, but strive to stay within the realm of a natural appearance.

I believe it means not to fight the aging process, but to embrace it.

Personally, after my 40s I stopped dying my long hair and cut it to a near-pixie, leaving me completely silver haired. Mental state is paramount. Being happy and content with who you are and not becoming grizzled or bitter by life goes a long, long way towards aging gracefully.

Unless you can get away with it of course :D

LOL! Well, I confess to helping start the whole bikini top and board shorts look, because well, I've never had a bottom for bikinis! I also run mostly on the beach in the summer, and it's stinkin' hot, usually, so my middle is exposed. It's just the better part of my middle. ;)

I never thought in my late 40s that I'd still be able to go this bare. Luckily, the young women are letting so much hang out that I still look OK doing what I'm doing. Now, that being said, I would N-E-V-E-R step off the beach and into town without a cover-up on! That would be totally out-of-bounds at my age. No matter what shape!

I think in the end, it usually boils down to motivation. I don't continue to pursue athletics to appear young. I do it because I enjoy being active and (sometimes) competitive.

I plan to lie about my age. :)

Not in the way you probably think. I am not going to tell anyone that I am younger than I actually am. I plan to tell people that I am older.

Think about it. I am 40. If I tell you I am 30, you either know I am a liar or if you happen to believe me, you think that I haven't aged well. But, if I tell you I am 50, you are thinking, "Man, that Lori looks great for her age!"

LOL

OK, I haven't resorted to telling lies about my age, but I do think that age is a state of mind and I will be one of those crazy grannies out turning cartwheels with her grandkids.

Thanks for all the replies!

I guess I never really thought much about the physical aspects when I hear the phrase "growing old gracefully". I always thought it was more about becoming wiser, more refined, embracing your age, not lying about it, not trying to be something you are not, etc.

I have absolutely no trouble with telling people my age (39), and I feel like I have learned some hard and important lessons in each of those years, and I want full credit. :001_smile:

I bumped into a friend at the store the other day who started going naturally gray at a very early age (and is LOVELY gray - oh my goodness, her hair is beautiful!). She told me she doesn't color her hair because she wants to "grow old gracefully".

I quickly hid the box of maroon highlights behind my back... :001_huh: