Menu

How/where do I start? Very overwhelmed.

Guest 5UNDER5

Guest 5UNDER5

I am currently a mom to 6, ages 15mos to 9, and we are expecting our 7th in December. We are Catholic, and our 4 oldest have been in a small Catholic school up til this point. Sadly, our school will not be reopening this fall, so I am weighing all my options. At this point, there are two Catholic Schools I would consider, but both would involve my driving the kids 25-27 miles each way (so over 100miles daily). The alternative is homeschooling. Here is where I start panicking. DH and I WILL be going to a Catholic homeschooling conference next weekend, and I know a few other homeschoolers in our area, but they all have smaller families or younger kids. I will have H (preK4), N and A (1st), M (3rd) and C (4th). My oldest two are extremely intelligent, reading well above their grade levels, and were absolutely bored out of their minds in school. I could prolly bump M up to 4th grade with her brother to minimize having separate materials, but she is already one of the youngest in her class, and I worry if we send her back to school in the future, bumping her up a grade would not be a good move socially. I initially thought I would use a packaged curriculum for the first year, since it seems like the "easiest" thing to do, and I have been researching Seton and Catholic Heritage Curricula. However, after spending a few hours on here today, I now realize that may not be a good idea, especially for my older 2, since it seems like the prepacked classes are targeted towards "average" students, which they certainly are not. (Both scored above 95th %tile and even above 99th in several subjects on their recent standardized tests). They may work for my Kers, although the older one (a former 25 week preemie we "held" back) reads above a K level, but seems to be on par with the rest of her subjects.

So how/where do I start? I know the conference next weekend will help, but I am scared to death of the idea that I will now be solely responsible for their education. I am overwhelmed with all the choices, and frankly, part of me is still not on board with spending ALL.DAY.EVERY.DAY with my kids. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE my children, but I've also enjoyed seeing that little yellow bus at the end of the driveway each morning. Then, after a few hour respite, I am just as happy to see them get off the bus in the eves. But DH works 70+ hours and is rarely home til late in the eves, so it will all rest on me, and I worry about my sanity. I have been trying to plan activities and outings into our day so we can get out of the house. For ex, daily mass when available, Adoration on Mondays, gym/exercise at the YMCA, and would also look into language classes (the kids have already started Spanish at school, but that is not something I could continue) and music lessons.

Do I just jump in head first and hope I don't drown? I have a few ideas of things that look good to me so far. I have heard good things about Saxon Math, and both of the Catholic schools we are considering use it, so that would be a bonus if they go back to school down the road. I like CHC See and Believe Science for 4th grade (human Anatomy) especially since I am expecting #7, and the kids are very excited about the pregnancy. I'm also considering Sing, Spell, Read, and Write for my preK and 1st graders. Any comments or other suggestions?

Thanks!

An overwhelmed mom to many

I sympathize with you, it's very overwhelming when you first go dipping your toes into the world of homeschooling. There seem to be SO.MANY. different ways to teach and curriculums to use! I know it gets even more challenging when you have to try and figure out which child falls into what level, and who can be combined. I can remember sitting at the computer researching everything, getting dehydrated and hot because I would get myself so flustered over math programs.

That being said, this forum helped me tremendously. I would recommend reading The Well Trained Mind. I wish I had read it sooner rather than later, I would have saved myself a few instances of raised blood pressure.

I would also say that you can easliy combine your oldest two (3rd & 4th) and your younger ones (preK & 1st) and that would streamline things a bit.

If Homeschooling is something you are called to do, then by all means you should go for it. Wade into the waters gradually. Start with the basics for a few weeks (especially with the littles) then slowly add things in as your figure out your routine & schedule. Grant yourself grace and time to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Good luck to you & your family.

**If** you go with school in a box, pick one that is complained about for being too easy and not complete and not including thinking skills. Have the kids pump out the lessons, and then unschool for the rest of the day, and let the real learning take place, but with the assurance that your bases are all covered. Using the "best" school in a box options, seldom seems to work for large families. No Regrets is my favorite school in a box book.

You might find this recent thread on the Robinson Curriculum interesting. Which is basically Saxon math, writing and reading. You'll have to wade through some of having a bit fun to get to the posts about HOMESCHOOLING, but there is some good info there.

At least to START, I would TEACH the basics and skills, and then FACILITATE the content areas and electives.

Edited by Hunter

Hmm...someone else will have to comment on how catholic it is, but Biblioplan might work well for you. It is divided up into age groups, so several kids per group in your family. Then add in catechism/saints stories? Math will be based on ability. Don't go nuts trying to add in art/music/logic/foreign language/etc this year. Just don't. Take trips to museums and such, maybe read aloud from The Story of the Orchestra if you NEED to feel you are covering music, but mainly stick to the basics this year.

Oh, and the kids together could do first language lessons for grammar, or you could check out Essentials in Writing, which has video lessons and includes grammar and writing. Pretty independent for the kids to do I think.

It can certainly be overwhelming, can't it? :) Even after 8 years homeschooling, I still get overwhelmed. We currently have 7 children (15, 14, 12, 11, 9, 6 and 4) and would LOVE another (but alas, I am closing in on that crucial age...40). Anyway, first, let me assure you that you CAN DO THIS! You mentioned your children bored in school...that is one very good reason to pull them out. I can almost feel your stress if you have to drive 100 miles each day. :001_huh: Your children are young. Focus FIRST on core subjects. Have you read the WTM? I can't recommend that book enough. Even though we have strayed a bit from the classical method she details, I still find that book a valuable resource. Choose curriculum for the basics for each child. If you liked Saxon for math...go for it (I personally did not prefer Saxon in the younger grades). I personally prefer Singapore (and if your kids are bright like you say, Singapore will challenge them). You can go to their website to get a placement test for each kiddo. Many here like Rod and Staff for English (being Catholic, it would probably appeal to you!), as do we. You could use level 4 for both 3rd and 4th if the 3rd grader is at the level you say she is. R&S contains writing exercises as well. Spelling...lots to choose from (anything from a workbook style like Spelling Workout to a more teacher intensive program like you mentioned). If you like SSRW...go for it! I'm not familiar with it enough to to really comment there. ;) Moving on to Science and History...try a program that combines. Our neighbors have similar ages to yours and have really enjoyed Beautiful Feet for History (it is a literature based, living book method). There are others obviously. For science...definitely go with interest led! If your kids are curious about anatomy...go with that! And when they tire of it, go where their curiosity leads! At that age, science should be fun. I don't want to overwhelm you anymore by mentioning this program and that. The conference might be a tad overwhelming, but certainly informative and FUN. Have in mind only a few programs and don't get overwhelmed looking at EVERYTHING. Do some research first and take a list of what you want to compare. I'll just end with this...YOU CAN DO THIS! :D

I could prolly bump M up to 4th grade with her brother to minimize having separate materials, but she is already one of the youngest in her class, and I worry if we send her back to school in the future, bumping her up a grade would not be a good move socially.

You can let her work with her older brother without officially bumping any grades. :-)

I initially thought I would use a packaged curriculum for the first year, since it seems like the "easiest" thing to do, and I have been researching Seton and Catholic Heritage Curricula. However, after spending a few hours on here today, I now realize that may not be a good idea, especially for my older 2, since it seems like the prepacked classes are targeted towards "average" students, which they certainly are not. (Both scored above 95th %tile and even above 99th in several subjects on their recent standardized tests). They may work for my Kers, although the older one (a former 25 week preemie we "held" back) reads above a K level, but seems to be on par with the rest of her subjects.

I never found a single publisher that I liked for all subjects. :-) And you're right: when you buy a box of books from a single publisher/supplier you're getting the middle of the road.

So how/where do I start? I know the conference next weekend will help, but I am scared to death of the idea that I will now be solely responsible for their education. I am overwhelmed with all the choices, and frankly, part of me is still not on board with spending ALL.DAY.EVERY.DAY with my kids. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE my children, but I've also enjoyed seeing that little yellow bus at the end of the driveway each morning. Then, after a few hour respite, I am just as happy to see them get off the bus in the eves. But DH works 70+ hours and is rarely home til late in the eves, so it will all rest on me, and I worry about my sanity. I have been trying to plan activities and outings into our day so we can get out of the house. For ex, daily mass when available, Adoration on Mondays, gym/exercise at the YMCA, and would also look into language classes (the kids have already started Spanish at school, but that is not something I could continue) and music lessons.

Do I just jump in head first and hope I don't drown? I have a few ideas of things that look good to me so far. I have heard good things about Saxon Math, and both of the Catholic schools we are considering use it, so that would be a bonus if they go back to school down the road. I like CHC See and Believe Science for 4th grade (human Anatomy) especially since I am expecting #7, and the kids are very excited about the pregnancy. I'm also considering Sing, Spell, Read, and Write for my preK and 1st graders. Any comments or other suggestions?

Thanks!

An overwhelmed mom to many

I vote for jumping in head first. :D I understand being unsure about being with your dc all.day.long. We've all thought that at one time or another. But part of the reason for that is that y'all are not used to being together all day long. Many homeschoolers spend up to the first year redeveloping relationships that had been torn asunder by school (which is easier in some states than in others because of state homeschooling requirements. Where do you live?).

Here are some other Catholic resources (which you may or may not see at your conference):

Hillside Education (literature)

RC History (history from a Catholic perspective)

Mater Amblis (Charlotte Mason for Catholics)

I like Saxon from 5/4 and up, but I don't care for the primary levels--way too much going on. 0_o

Sing, Spell, Read and Write is quite good. :-)

Since this is a site for classical homeschoolers, I'm going to guess that you want to go in that direction and might be interested in the Catholic classical programs. With so many young children, you'll probably benefit from at least one year with lesson plans already created for you too.

http://motherofdivinegrace.org/ (requires most parental involvement)

http://kolbe.org (more of a history focus)

http://angelicum.net (great books focus)

Two of mine are gifted, so I understand your concerns. The easiest thing to do it bump up a grade or two, but be aware that classical homeschooling material is often more challenging than what's found in even private schools.

The CHC 4th grade science is pretty good. I actually like CHC, although I would say to use the grammar and spelling a grade ahead. You could use the "right" grade for lesson plans and just bump up where you need to. The science, religion and history would all be fine. But lesson plans might be a big help for you first year with multiple children. They have a reputation for being gentle, but if you are using some of the materials a grade ahead, that won't be as much of an issue. And as I said, the religion, science and history are flexible enough that you can provide extra challenge where you need to. If you are looking to combine the kids for social studies, the 3rd grade course is a lot of fun to do. My youngest will be a 4th grader in the fall, and I am doing it with her. It is a Tour the Countries course. Let me know if you decide to go that route and want some things to add in to make it more challenging for your oldest. And CHC history 5th grade and up is absolutely top-notch for textbooks.

Seton would be harder to use, because a full box of graded currciulum is usually not a good fit for gifted children.

Kolbe Academy would be another possibility. It is more classical in approach, and it is very flexible in allowing substitutions. Kolbe is a nice option to look into for a more classical approach that is structured enough that it would be managable for a large family.

Welcome to the boards! Go to the conference and pray about your options. There are a lot of good options out there, so it is a matter of finding what works for your family.

Edited by Asenik

The conference you will be going to next weekend will help you so much! It's the one near DC, right? I was hoping to go this year, but plans changed. They will have great talks, and you will actually get a chance to look at the things you've been reading about online. You will meet lots of great families and you can speak with others about all of your concerns. Perhaps this week you can make a plan to help you get the most out of the conference as possible. Decide which talks interest you the most. Write down a list of the curricula you really want to see. Write down a list of questions you have.

HTH!

Angela

Guest 5UNDER5

Thank you all so much for your comments and advice. I guess I have a lot of praying (which I have been doing) and some more research. I'll definitely look into Singapore Math. Do they have an online assessment too? I already saved the Saxon assessments, but we haven't done them yet. If you guys don't like Saxon for the younger years (K-3), what would you recommend?

We live in Upstate NY. I know I need to file with my local district once I make my decision, then they will send me some forms to complete and I think I need to submit quarterly reports. But from a mom I spoke with yesterday, the "less I tell them the better." Apparently NY is not too tight with its regulations regarding Home schooling.

Yes, the conference is the one outside DC, in Fredericksburg. I am looking forward to it.

If you are looking to combine the kids for social studies, the 3rd grade course is a lot of fun to do. My youngest will be a 4th grader in the fall, and I am doing it with her. It is a Tour the Countries course. Let me know if you decide to go that route and want some things to add in to make it more challenging for your oldest. And CHC history 5th grade and up is absolutely top-notch for textbooks.

YES! I really like this idea. Feel free to send me any ideas you have!

Thanks so much!

You can let her work with her older brother without officially bumping any grades. :-)

I never found a single publisher that I liked for all subjects. :-) And you're right: when you buy a box of books from a single publisher/supplier you're getting the middle of the road.

I vote for jumping in head first. :D I understand being unsure about being with your dc all.day.long. We've all thought that at one time or another. But part of the reason for that is that y'all are not used to being together all day long. Many homeschoolers spend up to the first year redeveloping relationships that had been torn asunder by school (which is easier in some states than in others because of state homeschooling requirements. Where do you live?).

Here are some other Catholic resources (which you may or may not see at your conference):

Hillside Education (literature)

RC History (history from a Catholic perspective)

Mater Amblis (Charlotte Mason for Catholics)

I like Saxon from 5/4 and up, but I don't care for the primary levels--way too much going on. 0_o

Sing, Spell, Read and Write is quite good. :-)

:iagree:

Especially with the bolded.

You can do it!