Menu

Help me with latin choices

We have used LC1 and a lot of LC2. My oldest has thoroughly covered LC1 (as we've dropped it and started over a couple of times). She dropped LC2 midway through, and we both agree we hate it. My 10yo ds has thoroughly been through LC1 (same scenario). I have finally faced that I strongly dislike that curriculum. What would be a good option instead? I am looking at Lively Latin, but am not crazy about the price tag and realize it would be too light for my oldest dd who is 13 and going into 8th. Would it be best to just go ahead and put her in Henle and him in LL? Or would we dislike Henle just as much? I'm really on the verge of just ditching Latin and moving on to Spanish. They at least have some Latin background at this point, and I'm wanting dd to do Spanish for 9th-12th at least. I'd love opinions.

T

I absolutely love Latins Not So Tough. We did LFC A and did not like it one bit - too fast, too ambitious, just not a good fit. We tried Matin Latin and found their style not a good fit either - very frustrating too.

But LNST has been wonderful. We started level 3 this summer and it is going quite well.

What specifically didn't your dc like about LC? Depending on what it was that bothered them, Henle might be an improvement, or more of the same. If you can pinpoint the problem, I'm sure the Hive can suggest alternatives for you. :)

I think we both felt like there wasn't much direction. We really kind of wanted our hand held more, both of us, more worksheets, more coverage of the material. I feel that I am at the point that I need to either thoroughly learn latin right along with my dc or find something that is so detailed that it won't confound me. I have a 2yo and a 4yo, and that part is easier said than done.

T

We had a similar experience with LC2 after doing LC1, but my dd really loves Latin and wants to continue through high school. The Latin Alive curriculum looks really good (Classical Academic Press) but in the end we decided to enroll her in an online class with Lukeion Project. She took two short online workshops with them this summer and loved them so much, loved the online format, so we decided it would be worth it for her to take Latin from an expert. Lukeion uses Wheelocks, and their classes are designed for those with no Latin experience, but the texts look definitely challenging!

I would give the Latin for Children program a try with your 10 year old , and then Latin Alive ( made by the same company ) .

I agree I wish there were more worksheets and some activities with the Prima Latina course . I've had to be a bit creative and make my own though . I know that LC 1 and LC 2 have activity books to go along with the course. Did you try using their DVDs? This makes it much more interesting to use their DVDs for the program. I don't think we would enjoy PL if we didn't have them and was just using the workbook and CD .