Menu

Is anyone else completely burnt out by the school year??

I can't even bring myself to put the darn books away! There they sit. We will be starting up again in July....but I can't even bring myself to decide what history or science or grammar or spelling or penmanship we are going to use....GAH!

Readers?? Well.....those are all over the house....but no list.

Math? Hmmmmmmm.....I even bought BEAST ACADEMY and Li Ping Ma's 3rd grade books......hmmmmmm......I am not excited about them AT.ALL. ( stay tuned to the Sale and swap board if I ever get the energy to post them.)

I need a loooonnnngggg break. Not gonna happen though.....

don't get me wrong, I love homeschooling. There is just nothing new or exciting to get me fired up and wanting to get started. THAT, and I am toasty, crispy, burnt from this past year. So are my kids.....they just want some sleep, some play time and some free time!

I just needed to vent a little and send out :grouphug:S to those in the same boat.....AND, if some of you are on the lifeboat, PLEASE.....throw me the floatie!!

~~f

:grouphug::grouphug:

I'm not quite burnt out exactly by the homeschooling stuff, but I still haven't put this past year's stuff away. I figured I'd do that after our portfolio reviews next week.

I am however, panicking about next year, as you will see in my thread about watching two babies! I'm pretty sure I'll be burnt to a crisp next summer! :eek:

I was really burnt out last month and we just declared the year finished about a week early. I find that picking out new curriculum gives me a lift and when our Sonlight books arrived I was excited again. We're starting American history next fall and a new subject and new books got me going.

Go ahead and let the books lie there for awhile and take a break. I still can't face cleaning up the end of year stuff, so I'm concentrating on new stuff.

I can't even bring myself to put the darn books away! There they sit. We will be starting up again in July....but I can't even bring myself to decide what history or science or grammar or spelling or penmanship we are going to use....GAH!

Readers?? Well.....those are all over the house....but no list.

Math? Hmmmmmmm.....I even bought BEAST ACADEMY and Li Ping Ma's 3rd grade books......hmmmmmm......I am not excited about them AT.ALL. ( stay tuned to the Sale and swap board if I ever get the energy to post them.)

I need a loooonnnngggg break. Not gonna happen though.....

don't get me wrong, I love homeschooling. There is just nothing new or exciting to get me fired up and wanting to get started. THAT, and I am toasty, crispy, burnt from this past year. So are my kids.....they just want some sleep, some play time and some free time!

I just needed to vent a little and send out :grouphug:S to those in the same boat.....AND, if some of you are on the lifeboat, PLEASE.....throw me the floatie!!

~~f

This is me. The books sit in a pile on the fireplace waiting to be put away. It's next to the box of new curriculum for the fall that I haven't even looked at twice.

There's the basket of library books that are all cartoons and fluff. None of the lists I was going to do have been printed or even mentioned to my dc.

I am toast this year far beyond any other year. I can't even imagine homeschooling another year. I dread this fall. The 24/7 of homeschooling is what's killing me. None of my go-to tricks for giving my self a boost are working. And none of the adults around me seem to hear me when I say I need a break.

I have heard that the local school district does take homeschool kids for summer school.:auto: That's not until the end of the July though. And I need a break from my family now.

I need a break from everyone. Wish there was a planet for homeschool moms to go to....by themselves.....just to be. I need to just be....

:grouphug:

Sorry you are toast too.

This is me. The books sit in a pile on the fireplace waiting to be put away. It's next to the box of new curriculum for the fall that I haven't even looked at twice.

There's the basket of library books that are all cartoons and fluff. None of the lists I was going to do have been printed or even mentioned to my dc.

I am toast this year far beyond any other year. I can't even imagine homeschooling another year. I dread this fall. The 24/7 of homeschooling is what's killing me. None of my go-to tricks for giving my self a boost are working. And none of the adults around me seem to hear me when I say I need a break.

I have heard that the local school district does take homeschool kids for summer school.:auto: That's not until the end of the July though. And I need a break from my family now.

I am! We're still limping along from last year--we really need to get some math, writing, and history finished. I've got stacks of books from last year mixed with stacks of books for the new year on the fireplace. I can't even begin to wrap my brain around how to plan our new year--usually I'm so excited.

It does sound like you need a long break!! Can you extend your time off??

At the very least, give yourself two weeks when you have 'permission' not to even think about school or curricula. Your mind needs a vacation too!

Oh man!! my mind REALLY needs a vacation. I mean, a drooling, think of nothing vacation.....does that even happen???

I think today will be pack it up and stop looking at it day. All I see is what we did NOT accomplish.....not what we did accomplish. Seriously, we did a lot of work this year....but, we didn't do a whole lot more:glare:

I do need a nice loooooonnnnggggg break. So do my kids....from everything.

I purposely didn't sign them up for a single activity all summer long. I did get us a pool membership...and that is it.

I am thinking we may NEED bored in order to recuperate.

recuperate sounds nice....:001_smile:

I am! We're still limping along from last year--we really need to get some math, writing, and history finished. I've got stacks of books from last year mixed with stacks of books for the new year on the fireplace. I can't even begin to wrap my brain around how to plan our new year--usually I'm so excited.

I am usually excited too. We are starting high school again...and I think I am really sort of disappointed with choosing materials that match this kids learning style. It is easy. She is a textbook kid. I am a CM mom. She is very non-academic. I am a pain in the behind, push the academics mom.

I know what she needs and how she wants to do her studies.....it just so doesn't mesh with my style of teaching....GAH!

OY vey......need to put it away for a while.....seriously.

Oh man!! my mind REALLY needs a vacation. I mean, a drooling, think of nothing vacation.....does that even happen???

I think today will be pack it up and stop looking at it day. All I see is what we did NOT accomplish.....not what we did accomplish. Seriously, we did a lot of work this year....but, we didn't do a whole lot more:glare:

Making our year-end portfolio (required in PA) really helped me with that feeling! We used HOD's Preparing, and took it very slowly - getting through just barely 10 weeks (although we did all of our math & grammar).

But, putting the portfolio together and actually seeing everything in front of me gave me a great sense of accomplishment! I'm so proud of my 9 year old and everything he's accomplished this year. (And I'm quite proud of myself too. :D)

I am usually excited too. We are starting high school again...and I think I am really sort of disappointed with choosing materials that match this kids learning style. It is easy. She is a textbook kid. I am a CM mom. She is very non-academic. I am a pain in the behind, push the academics mom.

I know what she needs and how she wants to do her studies.....it just so doesn't mesh with my style of teaching....GAH!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

:grouphug:

Sounds like a vacation is in order for you. My favorite thing to do these days besides trying to coax my new roses to live is to sit on the swing in the sunshine with my eyes closed trying to smell the ocean and hear the waves. If I sit there long enough, I can catch the barest hint of salt in the air. It takes quite a bit of concentration since I'm in Colorado, but it is a wonderful activity. Last summer, I'd sit and watch the grass grow, but that's two stressful this summer because the dandelions are very determined to grow too. I'm hoping to get enough motivation to watch pain dry since I want to play musical bedrooms with my kids. It seems a reach though.

I can't ever bring myself to plan until after I quit feeling like this. First is rest and recovery, then I do an evaluation of the year with some perpective gained from time. Next, I purge and clean . And finally, I plan. I can't rush the stages of recovery. I don't even set a date for the next school year until I'm in the planning stages. Some years, we start in July and others we don't start until September.

Give yourself time. Remember, this is a marathon not a sprint.

I am in the same boat. 9th grade for dd was a mix of me trying to teach the way I love to teach, and giving up and getting out the textbooks. She is not academic either, and I haven't ever taught high school to a child like this. I am so tired of trying to decide what to do.

All my books from this past year are spread all over the school area, and my new stuff is all over the floor of my study. I am fried. I told dh yesterday that I wish I could go somewhere and hide for a week (or two or three).

I need a break from everyone. Wish there was a planet for homeschool moms to go to....by themselves.....just to be. I need to just be....

One year I asked for a night in a hotel room by myself. Since dh travels quite a bit, he has lots of hotel points. I told him I wanted to pick my own dinner, watch my own shows, read my own books, and wake up on my own time. I would get what breakfast I wanted and no one would ask me for anything.

Except for the noisy partygoers down the hall, it was bliss...

This entire month all I cared about was finishing the math I scheduled. We have reading time everyday, and have been doing a lot of meaningful outside activity and gardening. We are taking a much needed summer break starting end of the week!

Making our year-end portfolio (required in PA) really helped me with that feeling! We used HOD's Preparing, and took it very slowly - getting through just barely 10 weeks (although we did all of our math & grammar).

But, putting the portfolio together and actually seeing everything in front of me gave me a great sense of accomplishment! I'm so proud of my 9 year old and everything he's accomplished this year. (And I'm quite proud of myself too. :D)

Oh my goodness...this was us with Sonlight Core W. We made it through 15 weeks...BUT...that is 42 chapters of CHOW....a gajillion other read alouds (I added in extra Lit readers for everyone and lots of read-alouds too.)

My older dd used a Text book spine along with CHOW, because fce it...CHOW is NOT enough for a 14 year old...even a non-academic one. :D

I think I will try to plan out the rest of Core W along with her text book and just call it Western Civilization from the Rennaissance to Modern Times...and call it a year! If I use the Text, it WILL be grade level...and my younger boys can follow in CHOW....

I am having that bottom out feeling just thinking about it....OY!

This entire month all I cared about was finishing the math I scheduled. We have reading time everyday, and have been doing a lot of meaningful outside activity and gardening. We are taking a much needed summer break starting end of the week!

Enjoy Your BREAK!!!!

I am in the same boat. 9th grade for dd was a mix of me trying to teach the way I love to teach, and giving up and getting out the textbooks. She is not academic either, and I haven't ever taught high school to a child like this. I am so tired of trying to decide what to do.

All my books from this past year are spread all over the school area, and my new stuff is all over the floor of my study. I am fried. I told dh yesterday that I wish I could go somewhere and hide for a week (or two or three).

Ok...so what the heck is it with these 14 year old girls anyway???:D

Must have been the Year of the Textbook or something....this kid is just not the warm fuzzy type. She is a GIT IT DONE so I can go do important things....like stare at my foot, or draw a cartoon....OK, then...we shall get it done. I think I am almost really OK with that!:D

This is only the end of our first year, but it's kind of thrown me for a loop. It has been an adjustment never having the house to myself, always having books all over, etc. My house is a disaster, and I'm not terribly motivated yet to pick it all up!! :D

My son is very academic (as in, it comes easily to him) but would rather do his own thing. As in, video games, 24/7. Sigh. So summer is a battle to go. do. something. else. I'm also having him read each day and do just a *little* bit of math to keep skills fresh, and even that is like pulling teeth some days.

So I feel you. :grouphug: I need homeschool mom planet. Perhaps we can get a group discount on travel?? :D

Faithe,

I'm glad you are putting the books away! Just take an hour, don't organize them, put them in boxes and put the boxes where ever you store things...... Then tell people that you don't even know what homeschooling is! It feels so good to be a mother without homeschooling, and then baking, playing games, just hanging out. Maybe consider starting later to give all of you a nice long break! When you start in the fall, do a "slow start" by doing what books you have and adding as you figure out the rest.