Menu

NEM to AoPS?

Wordfairy

Since SM is discontinuing NEM 3 & 4 what do you guys think about jumping into AoPS? Where would we begin in AoPS? What if it's not a good fit? I'm not Sure what NEM 3 & 4 S&S cover or if there is an equivalent in the Discovering Math series. Any input would help this mom out quite a bit...

Since SM is discontinuing NEM 3 & 4 what do you guys think about jumping into AoPS? Where would we begin in AoPS? What if it's not a good fit? I'm not Sure what NEM 3 & 4 S&S cover or if there is an equivalent in the Discovering Math series. Any input would help this mom out quite a bit...

Goodness, I had no idea! I have no idea about your question, but thanks for the heads-up about NEM. I just ordered NEM 3 and NEM 4 before they're unavailable.

Discovering Math was completely interchangeable for us. DD did NEM for 1 and 2 switched to DM for 3 and has started NEM 4. Discovering Math is very time intensive, lots of problems. She likes to do everything and she is very good at math. The repetition made her want to go back to NEM but the 4 th year is a lot review--the second book just review. Not a big hit--doing LOF instead.

My DS is working on NEM2 and doing the AoPS counting and probability book. He is enjoying the AoPS. I just picked one but I have since discovered pretests on their web site.

Hope this helps.

omg.. thanks for posting it. just bought NEM 3/4 at rainbow resource

That's where I went too. I noticed they didn't have a teacher manual for NEM 4B, though. Neither did a couple of other places I looked (Sonlight, Singapore Math, and Christian Book). Anyone know if there a teacher manual for that level?

No teacher manual for 4b it is review. Answers are in back of book but not worked-- just the answer. I think it is all of the problems but it might just be odds. I have the book in storage until she needs it. If you really want to know I will get it out in the morning. Let me know.

That is helpful. Thanks :) Now I'm thinking I should probably snatch them up before they are completely unavailable. Where would ending at NEM 3 place her? Would she then go into calculus? Sorry for all of the questions I just want to really give her a solid foundation. She wants to study weather/climate/space.

No teacher manual for 4b it is review. Answers are in back of book but not worked-- just the answer. I think it is all of the problems but it might just be odds. I have the book in storage until she needs it. If you really want to know I will get it out in the morning. Let me know.

You answered my question -- thanks!

That is helpful. Thanks :) Now I'm thinking I should probably snatch them up before they are completely unavailable. Where would ending at NEM 3 place her? Would she then go into calculus? Sorry for all of the questions I just want to really give her a solid foundation. She wants to study weather/climate/space.

I would probably look at a good pre calc book first. My dd is doing LOF and some A level work.

Discovering Math was completely interchangeable for us. DD did NEM for 1 and 2 switched to DM for 3 and has started NEM 4. Discovering Math is very time intensive, lots of problems. She likes to do everything and she is very good at math. The repetition made her want to go back to NEM but the 4 th year is a lot review--the second book just review. Not a big hit--doing LOF instead.

My DS is working on NEM2 and doing the AoPS counting and probability book. He is enjoying the AoPS. I just picked one but I have since discovered pretests on their web site.

Hope this helps.

:iagree: We also transitioned from NEM to DM without problems. With my youngest, I have also added in AoPS work as well. No problems at all and I actually found that I prefer the DM series.

I don't think I would worry about snatching them up. You can get the same thorough Singapore experience using DM. And the upside is that there are answers for DM and there are no helps for NEM 3 and 4 (which is probably why they are discontinuing it).

My oldest did through NEM4; my youngest 2 have finished DM and are now doing concurrent college maths. I cannot see any difference in the education they received.

• 2 months later...

We made the jump with my boys when I discovered that they didn't have solutions manuals for the higher levels. We had my kids take the placement tests and I looked over the topics covered in both. I think we had my oldest start in the middle of AoPS Intro to Algebra after finishing NEM 2. My 2nd did the whole Intro to Algebra book after NEM 1. Then I got him into AoPS classes. My oldest took Algebra 3 and Precalc from them.

We made the jump with my boys when I discovered that they didn't have solutions manuals for the higher levels. We had my kids take the placement tests and I looked over the topics covered in both. I think we had my oldest start in the middle of AoPS Intro to Algebra after finishing NEM 2. My 2nd did the whole Intro to Algebra book after NEM 1. Then I got him into AoPS classes. My oldest took Algebra 3 and Precalc from them.

Do you think AOPS light on the numbers of problems???

DS is working through it, even he doesn't seem have much problems with AOPS, I am start to wonder if the exercises are on the light side. DS is going through a chapter a week. I thought it is kinda crazy and not sure about the retention

Is he doing the challenge problems? "Light" is definitely not a word any of my kids would use to describe AoPS. I know my son has to work very hard on those problems.

Anyone else think that? Either your kid is really really mathy or I have been pretending that my kids are mathy and they're not. I don't think I am pretending when the head of our homeschooled Math Team (that places high at state every year and sends a few kids to nationals) really tried to recruit my son to be on their team based upon his tryout score.

Is he doing the challenge problems? "Light" is definitely not a word any of my kids would use to describe AoPS. I know my son has to work very hard on those problems.

Anyone else think that? Either your kid is really really mathy or I have been pretending that my kids are mathy and they're not. I don't think I am pretending when the head of our homeschooled Math Team (that places high at state every year and sends a few kids to nationals) really tried to recruit my son to be on their team based upon his tryout score.

We just about finishing chapter 4... Not sure if that is because we are still so early6

However, each section you only get about 5/6 problem and 6-10 exercise. Isn't it?? So, you gets 15-20 question in each sections. Isn't that kinda light in terms of number of question. I thought NEM has a lot more. I am not saying the difficulty level, simply the count of the problems. Sorry for the confusion.

We just about finishing chapter 4... Not sure if that is because we are still so early6

However, each section you only get about 5/6 problem and 6-10 exercise. Isn't it?? So, you gets 15-20 question in each sections. Isn't that kinda light in terms of number of question. I thought NEM has a lot more. I am not saying the difficulty level, simply the count of the problems. Sorry for the confusion.

There are the problems you work through as part of the "lesson" (for which the solutions are later given), then for practice there are end of section exercises, end of chapter review problems, and then the end of chapter challenge problems. Is he just doing the end of section stuff and not the end of chapter stuff? Your description is unclear... The end of chapter problems (especially the challenge ones) integrate everything and take the difficulty up some (or many) notches.

You might assign Alcumus. You can set it to follow along with the book. I think Alcumus makes for a nice review. Some people assign an amount of time to spend on Alcumus problems; I think I prefer how the on-line class assigns sections to be completed (until the bar turns green).

There are the problems you work through as part of the "lesson" (for which the solutions are later given), then for practice there are end of section exercises, end of chapter review problems, and then the end of chapter challenge problems. Is he just doing the end of section stuff and not the end of chapter stuff? Your description is unclear... The end of chapter problems (especially the challenge ones) integrate everything and take the difficulty up some (or many) notches.

We didn't do the chapter 4 for the review and challenge yet, we finished the lesson and exercises part. Chapter 1 didn't have review and challenge problems, Chapter 2, 3 we did do the review problems, and then the end of chapter challenge problem.. maybe I got jump the gun too early? I hope so,,, I was starting flipping through NEM 2 and thinking about switching back

You might assign Alcumus. You can set it to follow along with the book. I think Alcumus makes for a nice review. Some people assign an amount of time to spend on Alcumus problems; I think I prefer how the on-line class assigns sections to be completed (until the bar turns green).

I keep hearing about Alcumus, maybe it is time to check it out

Light on the number of problems, sure. Light as a whole-----no way! The starred challenge problems at the end of each chapter stretch me, much less dd!

That being said, dd does move through most AoPS chapters at the rate of one section per day. I schedule two days for the end-of-chapter review and challenge problems, though both aren't always needed. Math is her second-favorite subject after science.

I have all four NEM books, but after we had done what I considered Algebra 1 and Geometry (all of NEM 1 & 2, geometry parts of 3, extra things on the side just because I can't leave well enough alone! LOL) ...at that point we switched to AoPS. We never did the Intro to Algebra book, although I suspect he could have picked it up about 2/3 through and had no problem. Instead, he did Counting & Probability and Number Theory as classes, and then we went with the original Problem Solving books, calling Volume 1 "Algebra 2" (it was basically all review by then, and again I added in some extra things) and calling Volume 2 "Precalculus".

This year he's doing a regular AP Calculus course (probably AB, maybe BC) in preparation for going to "regular" high school next year. If he were going to homeschool I would probably put him in an AoPS Precalculus class, or maybe the Intermediate discrete math classes, or both... and continue on to AoPS Calculus in a year or two.

Anyway... all that to say switching after NEM 2 allows a pretty good transition. I like both of them, and wouldn't have regretted finishing the NEM series, but I like the discrete math options with AoPS and that was a good point to start on them.

Light on the number of problems, sure. Light as a whole-----no way! The starred challenge problems at the end of each chapter stretch me, much less dd!

That being said, dd does move through most AoPS chapters at the rate of one section per day. I schedule two days for the end-of-chapter review and challenge problems, though both aren't always needed. Math is her second-favorite subject after science.

That give you just about a week or week half through a chapter, isn't it?

I put in the planner with this speed, that will only take not quite 6 months to finish the Algebra I (through Chapter 13) Isn't it?? Isn't that a bit too fast?

That give you just about a week or week half through a chapter, isn't it?

I put in the planner with this speed, that will only take not quite 6 months to finish the Algebra I (through Chapter 13) Isn't it?? Isn't that a bit too fast?

For a kid who enjoys the challenge of advanced math, no. We pulled dd from a very good school because they wouldn't accelerate her enough. I would be doing my dd a disservice if I slowed her down.

I believe that the AoPS online Algebra 1 class only lasts 12 weeks.