Menu

Catholics: Let's talk Language Arts!

I just ordered most of Seton's Language Arts program for 2nd grade:

Spelling 2 (2009), English 2 (2010) and Phonics 2 (2011).

I really like the new Phonics 2 (2011) workbook. I'm someone drawn to all the O-G or Spaulding spin offs, but if you need/want to go with a workbook approach and would like a Catholic curriculum, this is very nicely done!

I'm going with a combo/alternation of Memoria Press More Story Time Treasures (I waiting for next semester for the 2nd grade lit guides as I think they are a bit advanced) and WWE for writing/copywork, and CHC's Devotional Stories series for reading, in addition to other living book supplements.

Yea! I'm excited for next year.

I just ordered most of Seton's Language Arts program for 2nd grade:

Spelling 2 (2009), English 2 (2010) and Phonics 2 (2011).

I really like the new Phonics 2 (2011) workbook. I'm someone drawn to all the O-G or Spaulding spin offs, but if you need/want to go with a workbook approach and would like a Catholic curriculum, this is very nicely done!

I'm going with a combo/alternation of Memoria Press More Story Time Treasures (I waiting for next semester for the 2nd grade lit guides as I think they are a bit advanced) and WWE for writing/copywork, and CHC's Devotional Stories series for reading, in addition to other living book supplements.

Yea! I'm excited for next year.

I'm going to have to look into the More Story Time Treasures, I have a 2nd grader too, finding the right reading books for her has been one of my biggest challenges so far. This is our first year so I'm sticking pretty close to TWTM but it's great to hear what other Catholic families are using. Thank you.

We mainly use secular things for Language Arts:

AAR, AAS, WWE, WWS, GDI handwriting, GWG, JAG, and AG

I do like the Seton readers and National Catholic Readers in the early years. I like the Kolbe Elementary and Junior High Literature guides. But we also analyze the books according to Deconstructing Penguins and IEWs Teaching the Classics.

We are also using the vocab program from Kolbe.

I just wanted to add that it looks like Seton is in the process of developing all of their own Phonics programs. They have Seton Phonics 1 (has 2 parts/books) and Seton Phonics 2. In the past, they have used MCP. I'm excited to see the development for 3rd grade and hope it is out before we need to use it. :-)

Really liking what I see in the Phonics 2 book! Don't think the samples on Seton's website quite do it justice. Systematic, organized, thorough and Catholic! For a workbook style, this is fantastic! Kudos to Seton for their new, improved curriculum here!!

I'd still get the new edition of Writing Road to Reading and phonogram cards regardless of curriculum chosen. Once you understand about phonograms and concepts in WRTR, you could easily apply it to this open and go workbook. LOVE!

Seton separates Phonics workbook from Spelling workbook, but their spelling lists are organized by rule (e.g. a list of words that double l, s, and f after a single vowel). They still refer to things like "sight" words which is anathema in WRTR and their spin offs, but it is still well done and user friendly.

I'm working outside the home more this coming year and need the help of a streamlined quality workbook, so I'm happy to see the improvements here in Seton's LA curriculum.

Edited to add: They also have Seton Kindergarten Phonics.

We mainly use secular things for Language Arts

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I haven't been terribly impressed by the Catholic options we've tried.

CHC was too light.

The old edition of VIE was way, way, WAY too dry.

Seton has been hit-or-miss. I do like the Reading-Thinking Skills for Young Catholics and the Reading Comprehension for Young Catholics workbooks.

Mostly we use secular materials: AAS or Spelling Power (depending on the child), MCT, Killgallon, WWE/WWS, and Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

I haven't been terribly impressed by the Catholic options we've tried.

CHC was too light.

The old edition of VIE was way, way, WAY too dry.

Seton has been hit-or-miss. I do like the Reading-Thinking Skills for Young Catholics and the Reading Comprehension for Young Catholics workbooks.

Mostly we use secular materials: AAS or Spelling Power (depending on the child), MCT, Killgallon, WWE/WWS, and Sadlier-Oxford Vocabulary Workshop.

I have PR level 1, but just can't do the DVDs next year, not to mention the expense of continuing with the program. I'm not organized enough to do WRTR on my own. AAS was tempting, but I have an active toddler and the thought of a bunch of small magnetic tiles gives me nightmares.

I do want to try Hillside's Primary Language Lessons next year, though. :-)

Just wanted to give Seton a shout out because their recent changes to Phonics curriculum is well done, and sometimes you just need a great workbook option.

I was using Seton for our language arts, but I have gotten burned out with the piles of workbooks now that I have four officially in school. I love the Kolbe Literature Guides for Elementary and Middle School and Catholic National Readers as well as CHC's Rare Catholic Stories. We will do phonics/spelling instruction with the Writing Road to Reading for the little one and spelling with Sound Beginnings for the oldest three. The middle two will be combined with Winston Grammar Basic Level and are each doing Writing Strands at their own level. I plan to start FLL and WWE this year with my K/1st grader when he is ready and my oldest will be doing Total Language Plus which is non-Catholic christian, but I have found that I can make it work with some tweaking.

We mostly do secular stuff, depending on the child and the year. I have been very happy with MCT, WWE, WWS and things like that. My girls did ask to try Seton's spelling for next year, and I got Kolbe's Jr. High Lit for my oldest. We have read through some of the books from CHC in the past. My kids enjoyed the Catholic Tales for Boys & Girls and the Fr. Brown books for kids, but until middle school I don't really do reading comp. -- they just read a lot.

hhhmm...should I consider Seton phonics over Rod & Staff for second grade?

I would love to support the Catholic curriculum but R & S phonics gets such rave reviews from everyone.

Anyone have experience with both that can offer me some insight? Off to check out Seton phonics.

Julie4, it is definitely worth checking out.

Unfortunately, Seton's samples don't do it justice. The table of contents is good, but the few sample pages they show are in the beginning and meant for a review after a long summer break.

It's much nicer than the few photos shown.

hhhmm...should I consider Seton phonics over Rod & Staff for second grade?

I would love to support the Catholic curriculum but R & S phonics gets such rave reviews from everyone.

Anyone have experience with both that can offer me some insight? Off to check out Seton phonics.

R&S doesn't get rave review for its phonics from *me.* :tongue_smilie: If you use *only the phonics* instruction in the first grade Bible Nurture and Reader materials, and, presumably second grade, too, then you're ok, but if you use the whole thing--phonics and reading--then there will be a boatload of sightreading. And if you're only going to use the *phonics*, you might as well do something else altogether.

Not very impressed with Seton's phonics, either. It looks might like Modern Curriculum Press's Plaid Phonics, and no, I wasn't impressed with that, either.

My advice (for which you didn't ask, lol) is to use Spalding or one of its spin-offs/look-alikes for instruction, and good quality literature--Catholic, if possible--for actual *reading*.

I was looking at the chc spellers this morning. I like that it's phonics based and offers a jr apologetics course. I dislike worksheets but I think their worksheets could be fairly easy to convert into activities ie. using letter tiles, writing outside with chalk, doing it verbally, etc. Anyone tried these?

we used the Little angel readers when the kids were first starting out.. (which included phonics), then moved on to Sound Beginnings and workbooks from EPS (Explode the code, etc.).

For early grammar, Jessie's grammar book First Language Lessons, is very easy to use (perfect for second or third grade)...

Ame

I was looking at the chc spellers this morning. I like that it's phonics based and offers a jr apologetics course. I dislike worksheets but I think their worksheets could be fairly easy to convert into activities ie. using letter tiles, writing outside with chalk, doing it verbally, etc. Anyone tried these?

The CHC spelling lists were ridiculously easy. I have kids who are pretty good spellers, I'll grant, but even two grade levels above where they were was so simple.

Trying to gather my thoughts here.... :001_smile:

Ellie, I think Seton is much improved over MCP, not only because it has Catholic content, but I believe it is more meaty and rich than MCP. As I said, I own Seton's Phonics 2 workbook and the sample pages on Seton's website simply don't do it justice. It has 330 pages of rich, meaty content! I'm going to cut the spine and put it in one of those spiral bindings. ;-)

There is a lot you can do with Seton's LA if you have the knowledge and background of Writing Road To Reading but need a open and go, structured workbook format. No lesson planning needed. Even if you don't have WRTR, I still think it's an excellent workbook program, and I love that they include phonics rules on each wkbk page as well as details in the back for the parent teacher to learn and explain the rules to the child.

Now, Seton is of course not Spalding or O-G, it doesn't use the markings, but it does present *systematic phonics*, not simply word families or silly "two vowels go walking" instructions and tons of exceptions and majority of sight words. Sight words are kept to a minimum. Spelling rules and phonograms are included. I think the Seton's Phonics workbook and Spelling workbook go nicely together. I think English 2 is really good, too, but FLL would probably cover much of the same stuff-- depends what style you are looking for using and if you want the Catholic content. One nice thing about English 2 (grammar, basically) is everything is themed on historic Catholic France. You learn about Catholic saints from France throughout the ages, French geography, cities, etc. So that is kind of neat-- a year of learning about French culture. Actually, I think Seton is more like R&S with regard to the rigor of the grammar text (English 2).

As for CHC-- I love much about that curriculum. I love CHC's hands on religion and all their neat enrichment ideas in the lesson plans, as well as their readers. I'm planning to use their Devotional Stories for Little Folks series-- I loved the sweetness of the Little Stories for Little Folks readers. I've looked at CHC's spellers and Language of God. The Spellers are cute and have fun games, but I prefer more systematic phonics like what Seton provides in their workbook. I think CHC's phonics is better used as a supplement rather than a stand alone phonics program. CHC uses a word family approach and tends to have a more sight words/exceptions to the rule in their readers than I prefer. For example, I think OPGTR used along with Little Stories for Little Folks as readers would be a great combo. But, that's just because I'm one of those drawn to more systematic phonic approaches. ;-)

As for CHC Language of God, I do have many friends who use and like it. I think I read here once that someone thought it was a nice supplement to FLL, or a stand alone if you prefer to take a light touch to grammar in the early years.

As for CHC Language of God, I do have many friends who use and like it. I think I read here once that someone thought it was a nice supplement to FLL, or a stand alone if you prefer to take a light touch to grammar in the early years.

That might've been me as I used LOG A as a supplement to FLL 1/2 with my oldest. If I didn't say it, then :iagree: with whoever did.

We are using Phonics Road 2 next year in conjunction with Memoria Press's Reading guides (omitting Little House in the Big Woods as we will be using that in PR) and their literature and poetry recommendations. We've also got Core Knowledge literature filed which I've found to be well-rounded, good selections.

We will be doing a study of one saint per month and I'll be reading those books aloud and using various resources.

I agree that CHC is light. I haven't looked at Seton again as it was too workbook heavy for me when I looked into it for first grade. I'm not looking, I'm not looking, I'm not looking! I'm set and happy with my choices and trying to stay away from looking at other things. :)

We are using Phonics Road 2 next year in conjunction with Memoria Press's Reading guides (omitting Little House in the Big Woods as we will be using that in PR) and their literature and poetry recommendations. We've also got Core Knowledge literature filed which I've found to be well-rounded, good selections.

We will be doing a study of one saint per month and I'll be reading those books aloud and using various resources.

I agree that CHC is light. I haven't looked at Seton again as it was too workbook heavy for me when I looked into it for first grade. I'm not looking, I'm not looking, I'm not looking! I'm set and happy with my choices and trying to stay away from looking at other things. :)

Sounds like you have a great curriculum lined up for next fall. Stay the course!

Just wanted to throw this out there for those who are still undecided or need a good Catholic workbook option for LA. :-)

So how come nobody's mentioned Voyages In English?

What do you all have to say how VIE holds up to these other LA choices for Catholics?

I've heard some people saying the newer version isn't really Catholic at all anymore, though the original was. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Tara, Good question! I read an old version of TWTM and Susan Wise Bauer and Jessie Wise did recommend Voyages in English as one of their curriculum recommendations for grammar-- very thorough and rigorous content.

Earlier in this thread, Crimson Wife stated the original 1950's version was a bit dry for her tastes. I believe you are right the newest version is very secular-friendly and geared to schools/classroom use. I've never had a chance to look at either in person. The vendors that use ViE never seem to come to our homeschool conference.

I do have one friend who uses strictly Our Lady of Victory lesson plans and they use the original ViE all the way through. I'll have to ask her how they like it. Although.... it IS grammar. How exciting can that be??

http://www.olvs.org/ShopCart/InvDtl.aspx?InvId=10438&GrdId=&InvCatId=

I have used Voyages in English, the older Catholic edition. It is very charming in the illustrations, stories, etc., but the writing lessons are very much geared towards a classroom situation and I much prefer Writing Strands, so I have used it just for grammar. Up through the 4th grade book, the writing and grammar lessons are interspersed with each other throughout the book making it somewhat cumbersome to use as a grammar program. The fifth grade book on up has a separate grammar section which is just straightforward grammar and is very thorough. I think it would be well suited where teacher has a good handle on grammar, but I ended up getting lost as the lessons progressed. I needed something more teacher-friendly.

As for the Kolbe Guides, I think for the price, it is a great value. It gives a good list of books to read with some saint biographies in the mix. There are vocabulary words for all the books and the comprehension questions for each chapter give me a good handle on how my kids are understanding what they are reading. We do the questions and answers verbally, I get my teacher guide with the answers and there is a copy of questions for the student.

Edited by Seveninthesand

As for the Kolbe Guides, I think for the price, it is a great value. It gives a good list of books to read with some saint biographies in the mix. There are vocabulary words for all the books and the comprehension questions for each chapter give me a good handle on how my kids are understanding what they are reading. We do the questions and answers verbally and I get my teacher guide with the answers and there is a copy of questions for the student.

Thanks for the response. Your description is exactly what I thought I saw at the convention. Their reading list is on their website, and I discuss the kids' reading with them already, so I didn't see enough added value to make the purchase. I still would love to own the guides, but I think buying a microscope with the money is a better investment for us right now. I just wish a money tree would show up. :D

There are 2 parts to the Kolbe literature program you can get. First, you can get the teacher and student guides that have vocabulary and comprehension questions and answers. These are $20 each, I think. The expensive part (though it's not really that expensive if you use it for 2-3 years) is the lesson plans. These have a reading schedule, book report guide, weekly writing assignments, and exam for each book. It really is a lot of stuff when you think of how many books are included.

The CHC spelling lists were ridiculously easy. I have kids who are pretty good spellers, I'll grant, but even two grade levels above where they were was so simple.

The list works fine for my youngest. He is an "average" speller. I've been happy with the program. :001_smile:

I'm a fan of CHC LA material. I've tried others, but always come back to it. But, it isn't for everyone and it's not perfect, but I can't find anything that is perfect. ;) Only changes is Spelling Power for my oldest as he struggles with spelling and needs a little different approach.

So how come nobody's mentioned Voyages In English?

What do you all have to say how VIE holds up to these other LA choices for Catholics?

I've heard some people saying the newer version isn't really Catholic at all anymore, though the original was. Can anyone confirm or deny?

I haven't seen the new version, only the 1962 copyright one. It is solidly Catholic but very, very dry. If you are familiar with Rod & Staff grammar, it is like a Catholic version of that. I ended up shelving VIE after about a month because both DD (who :001_wub: LA) and I dreaded it so much.

There was a lesser-known Catholic grammar program designed for jr. high I got a chance to look over years ago that I thought looked very intriguing. It was was beyond what my DD was ready for at the time, and of course now I can't remember which one it was. But it used excerpts from literature and poetry to teach the grammar. Is this ringing any bells for anyone?

I haven't seen the new version, only the 1962 copyright one. It is solidly Catholic but very, very dry. If you are familiar with Rod & Staff grammar, it is like a Catholic version of that. I ended up shelving VIE after about a month because both DD (who :001_wub: LA) and I dreaded it so much.

There was a lesser-known Catholic grammar program designed for jr. high I got a chance to look over years ago that I thought looked very intriguing. It was was beyond what my DD was ready for at the time, and of course now I can't remember which one it was. But it used excerpts from literature and poetry to teach the grammar. Is this ringing any bells for anyone?

Crimson Wife,

Is this what you were referring to?

http://www.stgeorgebooks.com/booklist.cfm?SID=2533

• 2 weeks later...
Lingua Mater might be the program I am thinking of, but without being able to see inside I can't be sure.

Lingua Mater uses Emma Serl's Primary Language Lessons and Intermediate Language Lessons. Here are some preview pages from Rainbow Resource:

http://www.rainbowresource.com/pictures/045024/d3529ef5c27a73a2deddc96a

http://www.rainbowresource.com/pictures/046890/d3529ef5c27a73a2deddc96a

We used PLL this year but with a different TG. Not sure how Lingua Mater has structured the lessons but for us it was a bit too light on grammar. We are going back to FLL and WWE next year. I really liked all the other aspects of PLL though and will be adding ILL, probably the year after, as a supplement.

We are not currently Catholic but it is a direction we will most likely be taking so I tend to open threads that have Catholic in the title :).

Edited by Guest

We have used Little Angel Readers, and I love them, for their slow progression through the phonograms. Lovely books! The workbooks that go with them are great, but move a bit fast for my younger K boys. The girls all did well with them. The TM is a very full resource. I've never gone through the whole program because the kids usually started reading fluently before we got to the end.

I have also really enjoyed the free online Progressive Phonics which we have been reading on my iPad. These are fun to sit on the couch and read together.

I have never tried the Seton books, because they were too expensive to buy for my big brood of littles. We have used the MCP ones with the Kolbe plans (the plans aren't necessary, but they helped me schedule the program out into our 4 quarters with 4 days a week).

CHC was really lovely and sweet, but I agree with other posters.. it is pretty easy.

We did Kolbe English 1 last year, and it was OK, but nothing to get too excited about. I found it to be a bit dry. Maybe because I'm used to doing FLL on the couch and this seemed so workbooky and boring to me.

I am going to use VIE4 next year (the old version) and after looking through the book, I am happy we chose it. It doesn't look dry to my first browse through it. It looks rather sweet, actually. I love the little drawings and references to the faith throughout.

hth :-)

I forgot to add that we have also really enjoyed Junior Analytical Grammar, and Classical Composition Fable. The later of which is very similar to programs like Writing Tales 1, and CW Aesop which teach the progym. I like CC better, once I figured it out, because the models to imitate were much shorter, and there was no grammar instruction mixed into the program, so it took less time during the day which meant we actually DID it more often :D