Menu

Just curious - how many grocery carts do you use at the store?

I haven't read replies yet, but I think I will be a bit unusual.

I do one mostly empty cart. But I do almost all my grocery shopping on foot, or bike - and I lie at the top of a hill. It's close to the store and I might pick something up three times a week.

The store is less then 2km away from home and near the library, and other things and on the way home from my weekly running club - which I go to on bike. So I'm passing by regularly.

I do one major shop per month and one quick trip per month. The quick trip is about a cart-ful. The big trip...OI! 3 one cart run throughs at Wal Mart where I often use a second cart to load the bagged groceries in b/c the cart I shopped with is still too full. And I must admit, I pack that cart well! Then I go to a "regular" grocery store and do about half a cart there.

We have 7 people and I shop twice a month for our staples and fill in every week with produce and perishables. So the twice a month shopping usually involves two carts. The weekly shopping isn't even one full cart. Well, sometimes it's close to full at the foodie grocery store because there the carts are much smaller than typical.

DH works around the corner from a grocery store, he walks up and gets groceries about 3 times a week. Just what he can carry. He will do a big shop with the car about once a month (still just 1 cart) He is much better at sticking to a list than I am.

I go to costco about once a month and whole foods once a month.

I use one cart, or carry a basket. I shop frequently at a variety of places. We get produce from a CSA for half the year, and have several small markets with a few blocks of home. We also have a Trader Joes and Whole Foods 2 miles away. And I tend to get non-grocery items (soap, toothpaste, etc.) from Target. It sounds kind of random when I look at this list, but I have a pretty consistent shopping pattern, and it works. :001_smile:

I feel much better. I went to the store last night for bulky non-perishable items. I filled up an entire cart with soda, bottled water, toilet paper, dog food, ziploc bags/aluminum foil and cleaning supplies (dish detergent, dishwasher detergent, laundry detergent and misc cleaners).

I forgot to mention that we have a second house on our property that my husband uses for a "man cave" :lol: . So, we have to stock it with stuff as well. (And honestly, the bulk of the sodas goes to his place and I also stock it with paper plates and plastic-ware since he isn't the best at washing dishes). Plus, his friends come over every other week for a 'guys day' (which I don't mind since he's still on our property and available if I need him, plus his friends do our yard work) and I usually stock some snacks and a big lunch for them.

I'm looking forward to shopping today since I think my only bulk item will be rice milk and some large cans of pre-cooked beans, corn, tomatoes for 40 quarts of soup I'm cooking tomorrow.