Menu

Queen's jubilee, princess royale????

I've been watching some of the video from the Queen's jubilee and notice the princess royale (Anne) is not really a prominent figure (?). I was a bit surprised that she is not more "up front". Can anyone explain what her role is?

I'm no expert. But, she's really not in line to the throne. Charles comes first, followed by William and then Harry, followed by Andrew, followed by Edward. William is the popular royal along with Kate and since he's going to get the throne after his father, there is a lot of focus there as well.

Faith

The Princess Royal is the eldest daughter of the Sovereign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne,_Princess_Royal

The Princess Royal carries out the most engagements of any member of the Royal Family, and is involved with over 200 charities and organisations in an official capacity.

Looks like she stays busy.

At one point she was second in the line of succession, but is now 10th.

I'm no expert. But, she's really not in line to the throne. Charles comes first, followed by William and then Harry, followed by Andrew, followed by Edward. William is the popular royal along with Kate and since he's going to get the throne after his father, there is a lot of focus there as well.

Faith

England's royal inheritance laws need to be updated. In fact, seems to me I've seen something about that, where Parliament might allow daughters to inherit over their brothers.

Here's the line of succession as it stands right now. Notice that the Princess Royale is #10 on the list, with her children after her:

HM Queen Elizabeth II (b. 1926) Reigning monarch

1. HRH The Prince of Wales (The Prince Charles; b. 1948) B D W
  2. HRH The Duke of Cambridge (Prince William; b. 1982) B D W
  3. HRH Prince Henry ('Harry') of Wales (b. 1984) B D W
  4. HRH The Duke of York (The Prince Andrew; b. 1960) B D W
  5. HRH Princess Beatrice of York (b. 1988) B D W
  6. HRH Princess Eugenie of York (b. 1990) B D W
  7. HRH The Earl of Wessex (The Prince Edward; b. 1964) B D W
  8. Viscount Severn (James Mountbatten-Windsor; b. 2007) B D W
  9. The Lady Louise Mountbatten-Windsor (b. 2003) B D W
  10. HRH The Princess Royal (The Princess Anne; b. 1950) B D W
  11. Mr Peter Phillips (b. 1977) B D W
  12. Miss Savannah Phillips (b. 2010) B D W
  13. Miss Isla Phillips (b. 2012) B
  14. Mrs Zara Tindall (Zara Phillips; b. 1981) B D W

My mom is from England so we have been watching all of the Jubilee celebration and we have wondered the same thing. When the RAF did the flyover at Buckingham Palace, we thought it should be the Queen with all of her children and their families on the balcony. We figured it must have something to do with the succession rules.

I caught a snippet of it yesterday just before the flyover. I noticed that William and Kate seemed more front and center than Charles. William was pretty much right beside the queen while his dad was behind. It was a balcony so I'm sure there wasn't much room, but it was noticeable.

My mom is from England so we have been watching all of the Jubilee celebration and we have wondered the same thing. When the RAF did the flyover at Buckingham Palace, we thought it should be the Queen with all of her children and their families on the balcony. We figured it must have something to do with the succession rules.

I read in an article somewhere that the only ones who would be visibly participating much would be those in the direct line of succession (obviously just the first few in the line).

I caught a snippet of it yesterday just before the flyover. I noticed that William and Kate seemed more front and center than Charles. William was pretty much right beside the queen while his dad was behind. It was a balcony so I'm sure there wasn't much room, but it was noticeable.

I've kind of wondered if Queen Elizabeth is trying to outlive her son because she'd rather Charles NOT succeed her.

It is worth noting that Princess Anne wasn't born the Princess Royal. That title was granted to her by the Queen in recognition of all the work she does for charities and in representing the Royal Family.

Also Princess Anne and her first husband choose not to have their children carry royal titles. It seems that she takes her job and responsibilities seriously with out a case of needing extra attention.

Also Princess Anne and her first husband choose not to have their children carry royal titles. It seems that she takes her job and responsibilities seriously with out a case of needing extra attention.

As I understand it, Princess Anne's husband made that choice. For some reason, even though he was a commoner, he had that authority. :glare:

I've kind of wondered if Queen Elizabeth is trying to outlive her son because she'd rather Charles NOT succeed her.

Maybe, but remember that the Queen Mother had a long, long life; it looks as if Queen Elizabeth has inherited good genes. :-)

At one point she was second in the line of succession, but is now 10th.

She was only second in line until her younger brothers, Andrew and Edward, were born. From that point on, the likelihood that she would ever be Queen was nil.

However, the law was just changed--if Prince William's first child is a girl, she will be first in line.

If she were the only child, she would still have been in line. The law was changed so that even if there are sons born after her, she'll still be Queen. Under the former law, her younger brother(s) would have preceeded her.

It is worth noting that Princess Anne wasn't born the Princess Royal. That title was granted to her by the Queen in recognition of all the work she does for charities and in representing the Royal Family.

Yes, this is why I'm surprised she is not more "up front". From what I've read, she is a very active royal and keeps a very busy work load. Granted, she is pretty far down the list now, but she is still the Queen's first born. Is she (Princess Anne) well liked by the people?

Funny and perhaps true. Yet also, from what I understand, Queen Elizabeth learned at a young age the importance of not ever abdicating. Her uncle did so, thrusting her father into the limelight (and throne), and therefore said abdication made her the future queen as well. Also, she comes from a long line of long-living women, as has been noted.

Queen Elizabeth learned at a young age the importance of not ever abdicating. Her uncle did so, thrusting her father into the limelight (and throne), and therefore said abdication made her the future queen as well. .

Something for which her uncle was justly banished.

Yes, Charles is first-born, and he only got two sons. The succession law for females just happened to not be relevant. Princess Anne would still be far down the line (not as far, but still far). Prince William's children would be ahead of her eventually.

It's basically:

first born (used to be first born male, now it won't matter anymore, but Charles still is first born anyway).

All of first born's descendents (again, they're all male, so mute point as far as gender is concerned).

All of the first born's descendents' descendents (yet to be born, a female may be first now)

Yes, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward (and all of their descendents) are ahead of Princess Anne even if they're younger. This would no longer be the case for future royals, but I think a decision was made to not alter the current order, because of the very little likelyhood of it being necessary (it's been a long time since #5 on the list was ever called into 'service').

Edited by CleoQc