Menu

Curriculum for average to below average students..

Stillwood

Looking for curriculum for average to below average students. Any ideas? Bascally, I'm looking for ideas for textbooks in Science, History, English, Writing, & Word Study. He's not intoany hands on 'fun things', he prefers a 'read it' and 'get it over with' textbook'.

My 10yo/4th grade son has enjoyed:

Soaring with Spelling 4

Winning with Writing 3

Teaching Textbooks 4

Story of the World

He liked Apologia Zoology 3 - as long as I read it to him. He was not capable of reading it on his own. Next year we are going to try Mr. Q Science.

As Paradox5 said above, find what fits him - pace and learning style - and adjust the level to what he is capable of doing. DS could do grade-level spelling but needed extra work in writing, so we backed up a level. We will do the same with grammar next year (Growing with Grammar 4 in 5th grade).

Best wishes!

I think Learning Language Arts through Literature would be a good choice for an average learner who just wants to get it over with. Lessons aren't difficult or hard to follow and only take about 30 minutes. That would leave lots of time to supplement the areas that need more work, while covering everything else.

My 9yo who will be "4th grade" in the fall is currently doing First Language Lessons with his brother (who is also a bit behind).

We are using Spelling Power, partly because it doesn't denote a grade to the spelling word lists. Same with Math-U-See.

Sonlight uses letters to label their "core" packages, and generally has a "range" that each would be appropriate for as far as content.

We are using Mystery of History together as a family. I think any chronological history program is going to be easily adaptable to almost any age/academic level. It's got activities suggested for each lesson, but you don't have to do them. It's pretty read and go; I'd suggest doing the timeline and map work as well as the weekly exercises to help solidify the information.

We enjoyed Words Are Wonderful for vocab/word study. Books are labelled with letters and not grades. I believe Wordly Wise is the same way, and now has archives online for free. :D We used WAW for cost considerations, but with a free option... well, free is better!

There are writing programs by IEW that go along with history. I havent ever used any of them, but they are highly touted on these boards. :D We've used and enjoyed the programs by Learning Success. Just Write! is an excellent looking workbook based writing program as well.

Just a brainstorm of ideas as I head to bed. :) HTH!

Looking for curriculum for average to below average students. Any ideas? Bascally, I'm looking for ideas for textbooks in Science, History, English, Writing, & Word Study. He's not intoany hands on 'fun things', he prefers a 'read it' and 'get it over with' textbook'.

Age and grade level supposed to be in, level of reading etc.?

For a student described as potentially below average, I'd first want to consider whether there might be any LD or learning style issues, because those would significantly impact curriculum choice.

In addition, I agree with Pen that age/grade/reading level or particular areas of struggle would greatly assist those who might recommend specific curricula.

I think a good GENERAL thread on this type of resource is very welcome, if the OP doesn't want to reveal more information. This topic is not discussed often enough. There really isn't a need to JUST narrow in on the ages of the OP's children. Some of you have no idea how many lurkers read these boards, or only post by PM. So please, everyone, post your ideas for all ages.

All of these geography and history ebooks have free substitute reading pages for "reluctant readers". The worksheets are designed to be used with both the regular pages included in the main curriculum, and the free "reluctant reader" pages available as a free download under the "samples" tab.

Things that are lettered levels instead of numbered levels are good, too. I like Language Smarts B, C, and D. Maps Charts Graphs levels A through H. Comprehension Plus levels A and so on.

I have recently learned about Pacemaker textbooks, which sound like they might work. However, I'm having troubles finding samples so I can't tell. Thought I would mention them, though.

I think a good GENERAL thread on this type of resource is very welcome, if the OP doesn't want to reveal more information. This topic is not discussed often enough. There really isn't a need to JUST narrow in on the ages of the OP's children. Some of you have no idea how many lurkers read these boards, or only post by PM. So please, everyone, post your ideas for all ages.

:iagree:

Stuff we're currently using for our average (a bit behind) rising 4th grader:

Teaching Textbooks

CLE Language Arts (My 8 yo is using CLE 100 at the moment, and it's a big winner.)

Homeschoolers come in all shapes and sizes. Even classical moms with kids who are "behind", have a variety of reasons for that being so, that don't aways fit into testing and a special needs label.

For many people, they are homeschooling to escape labels. Some don't want to post in public, never mind give specifics about a child they don't want to label.

Let's just have a thread about good resources for "behind" and "average" kids, please, pretty please, with cherries on top. "Behind" and "average" and "gifted" is all part of the spectrum of "normal", and belong right HERE, as well as the specialty subforums. Kids are just kids mostly. Or at least they get to be, if mom homeschools them ;)

What's worked here:

Math - MCP, TT, & MUS (we alternate to make sure there's good retention and across curriculum understanding)

English - McRuffy LA, Harcourt Trophies w/ workbooks, GWG, WWW (again, not necessarily all at once)

Science - Mr. Q

History - nothing, but we read through Harcourt's textbooks just to say we did

I believe Wordly Wise is the same way, and now has archives online for free. :D We used WAW for cost considerations, but with a free option... well, free is better!

I looked for this, but couldn't find it. Could someone post a link? :001_smile:

Here are some ideas for the original poster:

Math: MathUSee

Writing: Understanding Writing by Susan Bradrick (an older student can start at the beginning)

Spelling: All About Spelling

Reading: Pathways Readers

History: Heart of Dakota at the upper age range of the guides

Science: Apologia Elementary

Edited by Heart_Mom

Goot thread topic!

Here are some ideas for younger kids. These have worked with my child who has average/below average test scores with memory and auditory challenges...

science - Read and Understand Science by Evan-Moor

Language Arts - Sing, Spell, Read and Write

Veritas Press - First Favorites (used for grades 2 and 3)

English Lessons for the Very Young - very gentle approach to English

math - Mathusee (used very slowly)

history - MFW adventures has been great - although I have had to change one of the history spines to make it more accessible (Exploring American History)

Edited by sandra in va

what age?

He's 15 1/2, finishing up this year with 76 Saxon Math, averages 80%, 6th grade Paces for English average 90%, is reading through History of US, reading through a 7th grade Abeka Science book. He often forgets things, especially history and science but will remember them later, he's working through 7th grade level word study books average 90%. His spelling is so-so. Staine on CAT 1970 was straight 6's, he took the test for 8th grade level.

Never thought of having him tested to see if he is LD. He was ill for a few years, so figured it was fatigue and he became comfortable with not having to work hard. You won't hurt my feelings if anyone thinks he should be tested for LD. I want what is best for him; just don't know how to go about it.

I appreciate all of the responses. I visited a public school book warehouse and was amazed how easy many of the science and history books are. So will use a couple of the those books. Someone suggested using LLATL and I agree! I have three different grade levels of LLATL, including High school. It has a very gentle approach to grammar and literature.

Edited by Stillwood
forgot to include something

I agree, while teaching advanced kids, we're often teaching kids from all over the spectrum. I'd like to stay on this board and receive support for all of my needs. A 'regular' or 'average' board would be great.

Edited by Stillwood

Testing has it's pros and cons. The testing my son received was incomplete, but it let everyone know we were dealing with 2E issues that were off the charts in both directions, of the tests that were used. I couldn't afford the different tests suggested.

The testing that was done, both opened and closed doors for him. They proved he was different. As much as I believe different is no better and no worse but just different, others have different beliefs.

My son was denied the right to attend our local high school when he wanted to try going back to school so he could take calculus. The school board said they would ship him out to the city to a more appropriate school, but they could not accommodate a child like him. He didn't want to commute. He stayed home and just reviewed and did enrichment maths.

Even if I'd had the money to fight the school, he would have been ready for college by the time I won the case.

Testing isn't risk free. It's not a cure and often offers little USEFUL information. I'm not against testing, but I'm also not always for it either.

Proof of an LD opens up funds for career rehabilitation funds and services in some states, for adults and teens, which is something to consider, but...I'll bet it closes doors with the military and some occupations. It's a gamble.

When children are making steady progress, it's better to play it slow when it comes to testing I think.

Spectrum Science a couple of grades behind official grade can give a basic grasp of science information for elementary. Possibly their geography could do likewise, or the Complete book of Geography.

There is a series in science for upper elem./ middle school level that has lower reading level than the concepts presented level, but I cannot recall the name offhand. I hink it was published by Pearson. It has as I recall 3 or 4 text/work books (combined) for each of chemistry, biology, etc. (It could also be used for an advanced younger student.)

I think SOTW would work for an avg. to below avg child to get a general grasp of world history, and I think Joy Hakim's would work for US History if relevant. Maybe the Complete Book of series for history as a text and be done with it.

For math, I agree about MUS taken slowly, but be aware that each level gets a lot harder at the end.

Essentials in Writing is relatively easy compared to some other writing programs. WWE could work too depending on the type of problem--I think one would just use it more slowly or start at a later age. Or perhaps Writing Skills. Language! as a general LA program could work, perhaps.

I think the Zaner Bloser language arts materials are excellent, but tend to be hard as compared to grade level stated on the cover.

I still think Writing with ease , First Language lessons are great fits even for middle schoolers and high schoolers. They are not truly grade level. They are just Leveled period. I have only done WWE 1 and 2 and have not tried 3 and 4 yet but I have a feeling that the levels increases a bit each time asking the student to do a little more of each.

I can totally see how the two could help in remediating middle/high schoolers and higher. This would be upper grade OT/ST/Resource all in one.

FLL is extremely repetitive which is perfect for the SN/Below Average/Average child. The diagram lines are already done and so the child with fine motor issues or visual perceptual don't have to struggle just to make a straight line.

Lot of different kinds of activities to give extra practice. For FLL 1/2 -most everything is done orally. Perfect for speech, auditory memory practice. You can make it visual by writing things down for them on whiteboard.

WWE provides:

The short snippets of complex literature...

vocabulary that is introduced (I even learned a lot from it myself)

reading comprehension

listening skills/auditory skills

auditory visual memory

answering in complete sentences

oral skills

visual motor perceptual from the copywork

dictation teaches the child to listen carefully not to mention to learn to read facial expressions

narrations/summaries-some of the hardest things to do

I do not do it exactly as the book/workbook says. I repeat dictation many times, use a paper to cover up copywork lines if needed, reread the literature several times etc

My daughters have come a LONG ways!

I am thinking of trying it on my husband too. He has difficulties with auditory memory and reading comprehension.

Math-Teaching textbook, Rightstart

He's 15 1/2, finishing up this year with 76 Saxon Math, averages 80%, 6th grade Paces for English average 90%, is reading through History of US, reading through a 7th grade Abeka Science book. He often forgets things, especially history and science but will remember them later, he's working through 7th grade level word study books average 90%. His spelling is so-so. Staine on CAT 1970 was straight 6's, he took the test for 8th grade level.

Never thought of having him tested to see if he is LD. He was ill for a few years, so figured it was fatigue and he became comfortable with not having to work hard. You won't hurt my feelings if anyone thinks he should be tested for LD. I want what is best for him; just don't know how to go about it.

I appreciate all of the responses. I visited a public school book warehouse and was amazed how easy many of the science and history books are. So will use a couple of the those books. Someone suggested using LLATL and I agree! I have three different grade levels of LLATL, including High school. It has a very gentle approach to grammar and literature.

I'm not familiar with all the tests so not sure what they would mean. I'm also not familiar with most of the programs you are using.

Saxon was an awful fit for my son. MUS was better. It could be that Saxon is not the best fit for yours. Or, maybe it is. But it might be helpful to look at samples with him and see if anything seems better.

I have no idea whether testing for LD would help you or not. Posting more about his situation on Special Needs board here might get more replies about that.

What does he want to do with his life? Is he motivated in any directions? What are his interests?

Was there a big change from before to after illness? Maybe he is not actually fully recovered or has some organic change left from it. I suppose it could lead to getting used to not working so hard, but it could also lead to wanting to make up for lost time.

It seems like it would be helpful to know if there is a motivation problem, an LD problem, or that he is working at the best of his abilities, or some combo of those or something else going on-- answers may help you so as to be able to help guide him toward adulthood. I know some hints I was given included things like to see whether memory seemed to be excellent for, say, a friend's phone number, but not for something academic. Whether there was excellent sustained attention for some areas, but not others, and so on. And to try to figure out whether my son wanted to be able to do certain things (like read) but could not, or whether he did not want to. Sometimes it gets hard to sort out what is what. But 15 is a reasonable age to think about the future and what is going to be feasible for him to do, and to figure out what can be done and whether there are problems that can be remedied, whether ones of attitude or ones related to an LD or some change from the illness perhaps, or whether he is achieving very well for his abilities and only needs to find directions in life that may fit his strengths well.

ETA: You mention fatigue as maybe being a problem, and it is possible that something could remedy fatigue problems.

You also mention that he might have become comfortable with not working hard--if that is the case you may need to address that in and of itself, gradually building the ability to do more if he is capable of doing that. Could he have gotten depressed during illness?--that could cause both some fatigue and make it hard to work hard.

Edited by Pen