Menu

I did it!!! Remember that elephant's penis I talked so much about?!

Congrats! I'm working on my own elephant's penis....actually, my goal is a 2-month old horse. I'm on a similar track to what you're doing. I do eat grains, but nothing white, refined, or processed. I've all but quit diet soda and don't do any other artificial sweeteners and almost no real ones (occasionally honey or agave). I'm finding that I dislike things I used to love because I've lost the taste for them.

So far I'm down a bald eagle, or 4 cans of shortening.

Nancy, is there a more detailed description, (website? forum?) of exactly what you are doing?

Congratulations, btw. (-: Good for you.

~Jen

I was wondering this too. It is a bit different from the atkins diet in that you add in fruits. Do you eat beans....how about hummus? :bigear:

Is there a book or books you are using for this? I did a quick search online, but couldn't find more than a general outline, and nothing that tells me how many of each type I could eat for my height. Most sites say to check with a dietitian.

I've lost 10 dozen eggs!!!!

I'm losing by following the Diabetic Exchanges. So many carbs, meat, fats, and fruits a day dependent on your height (no, I don't have diabetes). Veggies unlimited.

Way to go! I'm hoping to lose an automobile tire:auto:

Blessings!

Dorinda

I am low carb, not no carb. I eat whole grain bread or brown rice a few times a week. Two slices of Natures Own whole wheat bread is approx 25 carbs. I make french toast with it for breakfast..yummm. There is a recipe for making rolls out of eggs and cream cheese, which I use for hamburger buns when I'm in the mood for a bun.

The hardest thing for me to give up was pasta, which I LOVE. After a while though it didn't bother me to serve it for dinner to my kids. I have cut out just about all sugar, although in the past 6 months I have had a candy bar two or three times. Nothing like what I used to eat though. I have found my tastes have changed and things that I used to live on now don't appeal to me.

Hi all,

Just saw these responses! Thanks for your comments! There is no book/website, I started out by reading the South Beach Diet Book for information but just sort of morphed into doing my own thing.

The biggest thing, really, is not eating grains or white potatoes. That's the main, key thing that I do/don't do. Sure, once in a blue moon for a special occasion I might indulge in something I want, but it's rare.

So I skip the floury/grainy stuff.

Other than that, I just try to stick to whole foods and I'm somewhat mindful of sugars and artificial sweeteners. I eat all the fruits I want but don't drink juices. I drink water. I don't buy processed, fat free, lite, sugar free snacks (other than the occasional jello), I just eat regular foods as long as there's no grains.

So cheeses, other dairy, nuts, peanut butter, fruits, veggies, beans, meats, bacon, avocado, butter, mayo, eggs, etc- and I don't necessarily eat low fat with this stuff, either. Full fat butter, full fat peanut butter, full fat mayo, full fat cottage cheese. I eat the skin on my chicken.

Is there a book or books you are using for this? I did a quick search online, but couldn't find more than a general outline, and nothing that tells me how many of each type I could eat for my height. Most sites say to check with a dietitian.

This link is a good start to give you an idea. I have a friend that's a dietitian and she helped me out. I'm 5'5" and I'm allowed 1650-1750 kCal a day. My exchanges are based on that calorie count, as well as my lactose intolerance. I don't have any milk exchanges so I have more protein and carb exchanges. I think that's where you REALLY need the help of a dietitian. Once you're set up, it takes some practice, but it reminds me of weight watchers in some ways. It showed me how little fruits and veggies I actually ate, and how heavy I was on sugar and starches. One serving of fruit is equal to 2 plums!

Here are some good links if you want to look into it more:

http://diabetes.about.com/od/foodexchangelists/a/diabetesexchangelistvalues.htm

http://glycemic.com/DiabeticExchange/The%20Diabetic%20Exchange%20List.pdf

This is the book that has become my Bible:

http://www.shopdiabetes.org/176-Choose-Your-Foods-Exchange-Lists-for-Diabetes-Singles.aspx

HTH!

Dorinda

• 4 months later...