Menu

Planning ahead for School Supplies?

ThePW

As for the black vs. yellow Ticonderoga pencils, I haven't noticed a difference. I only buy the different colors because one of my son's favorite color is black. LOL Now I'm going to have to do a test to see which one I like best. Off-hand, without thinking about which is better (thought they were the same except color), I didn't notice one being better than the other. Hmmm.

Now, I do love the triangle ticonderogas best, but that's because it forces the kids to hold the pencils correctly. My kids, however, do not like the triangle pencils. Ugh. I still buy them, and no, they never go on sale. At least I've never seen them on sale.

I do need to purchase one of those pencil sharpeners--the best one in the world. It looks pretty cool. I do have an electric one that we love, but it destroys some pencils--the cheap ones. If I put a Ticonderoga in it, it works fine. If I put one of those cheap, decorated pencils in it, it shreds it...maybe I just need to not buy the cheap, novelty pencils for holidays...

where is the best place to get the cheapy two pocket folders? The really cheap paper ones, I want a few with prongs but most of them just need to be basic 2 pocket ones. I'm doing the weekly planning thing for dd and I think the cheapy paper folders would work best for her.

So far my school supply list consists of:

- pencils, pencils and more pencils... here's a question for you:  Black Warrior Mirado pencils or Yellow Ticonderoga pencil?  Which do you prefer?

- Composition books

- glue sticks

- Premier Prismacolor colored pencils

- Pencil sharpeners - I've always bought the staedtler graphite tub pencil sharpener - but that link that was posted in this thread has me intrigued - I may have to see if they ship to canada.  

-  3.5x5.5 lined moleskine notebooks for myself

- box of good copy paper for drawing and printing off the computer

I feel the need to start a new thread about what people use index cards for.... we never do and yet it seems to be a very popular item!  Makes me feel like I'm missing out on something :)

So far my school supply list consists of:

- pencils, pencils and more pencils... here's a question for you:  Black Warrior Mirado pencils or Yellow Ticonderoga pencil?  Which do you prefer?

- Composition books

- glue sticks

- Premier Prismacolor colored pencils

- Pencil sharpeners - I've always bought the staedtler graphite tub pencil sharpener - but that link that was posted in this thread has me intrigued - I may have to see if they ship to canada.  

-  3.5x5.5 lined moleskine notebooks for myself

- box of good copy paper for drawing and printing off the computer

I feel the need to start a new thread about what people use index cards for.... we never do and yet it seems to be a very popular item!  Makes me feel like I'm missing out on something :)

That's what I was wondering also!

Printer paper is what we run out of constantly.  It is also good to have a backup set of ink for your printer on hand that way mid-printing you don't have to go to the store.  I always put a new ink cartridge set on my shopping list when I have to use the backup set.  These are Mommy supplies, but they have stopped me in my tracks during a good school day.

For the kiddos, if it is your first year...don't buy too much bulk of things b/c you may discover that they hate using certain things.  We always had to buy spiral comp. books for school b/c it was on the list and I thought it was a great way for the kiddos to keep subjects separate.  They hate them.  Biggest waste of money ever,  I still have a stash from the first year we homeschooled and we are going into our 5th.  I wind up using them during planning time.  My kids prefer binders with dividers and loose paper.  Go figure.

Pencils are always a must here, but my kiddos like mechanical pencils over regular.  Again these are things I found out after we came home.  

We always stock up on markers (big and small), art supplies, erasers and paper.  Glue is a big one since my youngest has started school b/c he loses the lids to the glue sticks and they dry out.  We always spring for crayola and elmer's glue.  The cheap kind just doesn't last.  We bought some Rose Art last year and I swear the crayons would break the first time you tried to use them.  We had to use the crayon sharpener all year long.  

Another Mommy supply that I run out of for my planning changes is white out.  I like the kind that is like a tape dispenser and you roll it over your writing.  I like to buy the packs that have 3 or 4 in them on sale at back to school time.  We bought bulk pens a few years ago at like 10 cent a pack and I just check every year and see if we need to add blue, black, or red.  

Paper clips, push pins, dry erase markers, chalk....all on my list for mommy supplies.  I find that buying bulk the first year of kid supplies and replenishing has sustained us through the years.  I just do an inventory before school shopping and go from there.

min

where is the best place to get the cheapy two pocket folders? The really cheap paper ones, I want a few with prongs but most of them just need to be basic 2 pocket ones. I'm doing the weekly planning thing for dd and I think the cheapy paper folders would work best for her.

Watch the Staples and other office store ads.  They run x/amount for a penny with limits.  Since Staples stopped their teacher limits on items and enforcing the $5.00 purchase rule,  I started buying mine at Walgreens.  At the lowest point last year they were 12 for a dollar. 

I am an index card junkie...

I use index cards for vocabulary.  Dd uses Vocabulary from the Roots Up program and enjoys making her own cards. 

They are also useful for pre-writing with paragraph/essay construction.  Kids can lay out their cards, see the logical sequence of what ideas fit with each other, make changes before putting it on paper. 

Writing down facts for research papers while using reference materials at the library.

I often will use index cards instead of post its because they have more writing room for comments while reading a book.  I just leave it between the pages for later. 

Ds will copy a difficult math problem that he encounters and the tutor will help him work the solution on the back side.  He keeps these as a quick reference for later. 

That's just a few...I'll add more if I can think of them. 

***And if you like the moleskin journals, check the clearance aisles at Home Goods.  I found these for as low as $3.00 each throughout the year leading up to Christmas.  We used them for  gifts.

Re: index cards

Besides using them as "flash cards" (foreign language vocab), I also copy the smaller kid's poems (and prayers) onto them. It is easier to shuffle through them when we practice -- keeping the ones we are working on in front and moving the others to the 'back of the stack' so they practice them more like once per week. Some people have much more elaborate systems (practice daily, practice weekly, practice monthly, etc.) -- but having them on index cards makes it easy to do this.

Have any of you used this pencil sharpener? I wonder if it really is the best sharpener in the world.

After seeing it mentioned in this thread, I ordered that pencil sharpener and it arrived today. WOW! It really IS the best pencil sharpener. It leaves a superfine point, doesn't chew up our pencils, and it is quiet. My children think it's cool to operate, too. Maybe, they will keep their pencils sharpened now instead writing with dull ones. I normally have to remind them to do it.

Thanks for this thread and everyone who gave a review.