Menu

Freezer Meals-- ideas?!!

I need to start stocking the freezer for this baby. I've got all summer, but I want to start soon so that I can work a little at a time and get a good amount of meals stocked up. I'd like to not cook for all of September and maybe even have a few extra weeks for those days of pregnancy when I just don't wanna. So far, just from things we usually eat, I've got: (some low prep, some done already)

Taco Meat

Steak frozen in fajita marinade

Meatloaf mixed up and ready to stick in the oven

Mostaccoli (however that's spelled)

Ground hamburger cooked for Zat. Dirty Rice or spaghetti

Chicken breasts grilled to put on salad

Beef barley fixings ready for the crock pot

What else? I need ideas!

This a few of the things that are regularly in our freezer:

Spaghetti Sauce

Chicken Spaghetti

Crock-Pot Dump Meals (I put everything uncooked in a Ziploc bag and then when i am ready to use it, I dump it in the Crock-Pot)

Taquitos

Chimichangas

Enchiladas (I freeze the sauce separately)

Soups & Stews

Sorry to hijack....For those of you who freeze chicken, don't you find the taste a bit off when it is reheated? Maybe it is the fact that I have reheated it in the microwave. Do you use the stovetop or oven?

I usually freeze:

taco meat

meatballs

chili

lentil soup

lasagne

rice (if I make too much on accident)

stuffed peppers freeze OK

I prep for a new baby in the same way. For me, a well stocked freezer=happy, less-stress mommy!

Here are some yummy ideas.

http://joelens.blogspot.com/2007/01/freezer-friendlymake-ahead.html

I've made several of her recipes. My fav freezer meals are the chicken tikka masala & cilantro lime tacos.

BTW, my freezer wasn't as neat as hers, but it all tasted great, especially when I was sleep deprived & blurry eyed!

Sorry to hijack....For those of you who freeze chicken, don't you find the taste a bit off when it is reheated? Maybe it is the fact that I have reheated it in the microwave. Do you use the stovetop or oven?

I don't care for chicken that has been reheated in the microwave. I use the oven or the stove.

In addition to some of the above, we freeze:

Chili and soups

cooked cubed chicken-I prefer grilled. For some reason that reheats better in terms of taste. Can go on a salad, in a quesadilla or burrito, over pasta, as a chunkier chicken salad with mayo,

cooked shredded chicken (for chicken salad. I add garlic powder and salt, then add the mayo before serving)

Thin slices of leg of lamb or pork loin (reheats well for me. I just slice it pretty thin after cooking in the oven, and freeze. When I'm ready to serve it I thaw, and then get an inch or half inch of water hot, then basically dunk it in and leave it there for a min or two before serving).

meatballs for sandwiches, with pasta, or just some broccoli

taco meat for taco salad or in shells or tortillas

When I ate lasagne, I did roll ups for the freezer. Take the cooked noodle, then put the filling on the noodle and roll up before freezing. Flash freeze and then bag, and you can just pull a few out at a time to top with sauce and cheese, instead of needing to eat a whole lasagne at once.

I like frozen muffins, quickbreads, etc. too. Great with a new baby for a snack. I use almond flour for baking which makes them have some protein and they are more filling.

My favorites:

Mustard - almond chicken (dip chicken breasts in a mixture of 1c mustard and 1/4c honey, then in almond flour. freeze)

Chili

White chili

Chicken Tikka Masala

Spaghetti sauce

Pulled pork (pork roast in the crockpot with salt in pepper for 8-10 hours, shred with fork)

Shredded beef (same as pulled pork, but with beef)

I especially like the pork or beef, I freeze bunches of it in 1 or 2 cup increments (use sandwich size bags, and put them all in a big 1 gallon bag to keep them together in the freezer. Label the big bag). I can pull these out to toss on a salad, or to make tacos, or nachos, or "instant soup" with some stock and a bagful of veggies.

We're vegetarian so our freezer meals are a little different, but they're super tasty!

- mushroom and spinach lasagna/manicotti

- veggie burgers

- lentil meatballs

- burritos (with Spanish rice, refried beans, cheese, and olives--yum!)

- falafel (I buy a giant Costco can of garbanzo beans, multiply the heck out of my recipe, and then freeze the batter)

- chili

- roasted eggplant purée (for pasta, from Giada de Laurentis)