Menu

IKEA Trip!! Copying HomeschoolCreations

stm4him

Someone on here gave me a link to the schoolroom from HomeschoolCreations.com and I fell in love immediately! It was the schoolroom that solved so many problems by giving an option for individual desks, a table for group work, and a teacher table for one on one or a group of two. I know that to some people that seems all too "school-like" and something only newbies would do but I have tried various combinations and I find that having the option of all three within one closed room is the best! My kids need their own desk to concentrate on individual work, but sometimes I want us to sit as a group. In my current house we have our group table on the first floor and that caused lots of mess to be easily carried throughout the house. So I am excited to have a new house with a large room almost identical to the one she has and I am looking forward to coming close to duplicating what she did. I am so thankful for her posting all the details about what exactly she bought and where she got it from! Hopefully I'll be able to post pictures in the next few weeks when we get settled in.

Also, across the hall (this is on the third floor of our house and the only two rooms up there besides a bathroom), there is another fairly large room which will be our library and a place where the little kids can go to be a little louder when they need/want to be or watch a video without distracting the others or roaming the house and bothering my husband when he's trying to work in his office. It is going to be a dream set-up and I'm soooo excited!!

For those of you who are able to homeschool in your dining room and kitchen without making the house a huge mess I highly applaud you. I have never been able to multi-task well and it becomes a mess within the first hour. At least this way it is contained to one floor of the house (at least in theory!) I have a friend who has no schoolroom and somehow you go over her house and the majority of the time you would never know she homeschools (not that it is something to hide). I stand in awe of that but am also glad I have the freedom (and opportunity) to be immersed in our lessons and away from the chores. To each his own but I thought I'd share for those of you who, like me, are always dreaming of that "perfect" schoolroom!

I hope you post the link. I'd love to see it. :)

Here's a fun fondue recipe for you since you'll be at Ikea - they sell beautiful fontina cheese now. Grate 1/2 fontina, 1/2 butterkasse. Toss in cornstarch (keeps it smooth). Add a glass of dry white wine - chardonnay or pinot grigio (or liebfraumilch if you hate dry wine - very different but delicious) to your fondue pot. Add 1-4 cloves of minced garlic. Bring to a simmer. Add the cheese, 1/3 at a time and stir til smooth. Add in one of the following: 1/2 tsp dry mustard, a few grates of fresh nutmeg or a spoonful of pesto. Serve with crusty bread and the rest of that bottle of wine. :)

I plan on painting my room a bit different shade of green, but still a light green. I will do the same type of desks she has, but probably with different color legs. I don't have as big of a space though. On one wall will be mine and DD's desks (both the same) with a Trofast system in between (for workboxes and storage). Then on the opposite wall I plan to get a Billy bookcase, and my whiteboard will go up on that wall too. I also already ordered a round activity table to put in the center of the room for when we will work together and for when she needs to look at something on the whiteboard.

Anyone have the link? I looked on the Homeschool Creations site but am not seeing anything about their homeschool room.

I just had a look and the pics are at homeschoolcreations.net. Tag is our classroom.

:)

My husband told me to make an IKEA wishlist this weekend and we'll plan a trip this summer to get things for the schoolroom (huge YAY!). Jolanthe's room and Erica from "Confessions of a Homeschooler" we're also my inspiration!

Have fun!

My room is also going to be green but more of a yellow-ish green. I'm scared to death! I actually didn't plan to do it that color initially and it had nothing to do with her color selection. I had a navy blue chair from IKEA (Kivik something) and it is so comfortable to sit at one on one and I had this striped pillow which I had also gotten there and it has this bright green in it so I decided to go with that. I didn't want white and navy would have been too dark and I already had a ton of blue in my house so I went with the bright green.

My desk will be just like hers except white. I can't decide if I want my 4x4 expedit or 5x5 in there yet. I got the same gateleg tables she did except mine are white. I bought two so my little kids could sit at a separate one. The chair will be the Kivik (like a low seater chair and a half kind of thing with no arms) instead b/c it can seat myself and a child and is more comfortable. Instead of the shelves she used by the window I'm going to use my Liatorp bookshelves that have doors on the bottom of both. I will have the same bench in between except white. They have a new cuter version but they were out of the white. I hope that works out ok.

The desks I got for $20 each!! They are a Vika Curry top if I'm remembering correctly and have these round thick white metal legs. There will be six instead of 4 b/c we have six kids and I want them to match. I won't have the hanging buckets b/c I forgot about that but I think I like the idea better of having cups of supplies (like a kitchen canister) that are all basically the same and being able to put them up high or in the closet at the end of the day so little kids wandering in there won't be able to "decorate" the room with graffiti.

For chairs I really wanted the folding white chairs b/c they had a place the kids could put their feet but they were out of those so we just bought the $6 stools. We'll see how that works. That should force good posture I hope. If not I have padded folding chairs from CostCo they can use. Also, we bought two of their little kid chairs that sit higher up and have a place for their feet for my 4 and 5 year olds to use. I think it is called Urban. The two year old will be jealous but we literally couldn't have fit another in our van that day!

On the wall I want my peel and stick maps. What I haven't figured out quite yet is where/how I'm going to get a big white board for our LOE time together. I think I want to buy a strong easel or book stand for a white board. Or I'll have to see if I can fit the table right close to the wall and mount a large white board or do white board paint (but that scares me) or even those peel and stick ones I've been eyeing for years. In fact, I may put one in front of each desk on the wall so I can make notes to or for them or let them have a checklist on there or something of that nature.

For their workbooks and binders we found this cheaper version of the expedit they now have out. It was only $30 and the cubbies are the same size! It is a 2x4 size. We got 4 of those either to put one b/w each of the two desks or to put one on each wall and the other two in the library. We'll have to see how much we need and how hard it is for them to get up and get their stuff without it being a constant problem. I bought (and own) many of their white magazine files which are awesome for flimsy workbooks and which they can carry right to their desk for most of the day. Their binders should fit well on those shelves too when they need them.

So overall it will look very similar. I have the added benefit of a closet that has four shelves and two feet at the back of the closet for other things so I think I should have plenty of space! I'll put up pics when we're done.

It is exciting! We are moving next week and will be in our new house next month. I took measurements and created a floor plan online so that I could obsessively plan LOL. our new house has a perfect homeschool room too. It has it's own bathroom, a door to outside, a big window, and a huge closet. It is separated from the kitchen by a hallway and a walk-through office. I will have a medium-size table in the schoolroom for teaching, because I like sitting next to my son and working with him. I'll have my whiteboard, rain gutter shelves, and Expedit shelving, plus a play kitchen for my preschooler. When my older son needs to concentrate on independent work, he will move over to the desk in the office that has a little tabletop waterfall to provide white noise.

The biggest problem I have homeschooling is BOTH of us being distracted by the preschooler, tv, computer, and life! I can't wait to have a "sacred space" where we can focus. My son is also a VSL and I am looking forward to having wall space to put up posters and other helps.

My husband told me to make an IKEA wishlist this weekend and we'll plan a trip this summer to get things for the schoolroom (huge YAY!). Jolanthe's room and Erica from "Confessions of a Homeschooler" we're also my inspiration!

Have fun!

Can your husband talk to my husband?:lol:

Sounds so great! Can't wait to see pics! We have a much smaller space and Ikea is several hours away :( but we have done our best with what we have, I certainly improvised!!! :D I have a space upstairs that I can turn into something more, but for now I am afraid to have our school room not on the main floor . . maybe when the kids are a little older.