Menu

Hypothetically, would you be interested in this class for your 7th-10th graders?

I'm thinking of trying to get a local group of maybe 5 kids together who want to learn French. The class would meet once a week, do most of the work at home, and use the Galore Park materials. I would charge 8-10 dollars a class, and hire a df who speaks fluent French and is very good with kids.

So, the class would cost around $300 and meet about 30 weeks. Plus cost of materials that they'd order.

What do you think?

Thanks so much! Now to pitch the idea to my df....;)

Do you think offering her $30 an hour is enough? It's low for this area. I would offer her more if we can get about 5 kids--I'd give her all the $, of course, but I don't know how many would come, so I wouldn't want to offer her something I can't promise.

(But knowing Mariann's kids might participate is a huge plus! :D)

Thanks so much! Now to pitch the idea to my df....;)

Do you think offering her $30 an hour is enough? It's low for this area. I would offer her more if we can get about 5 kids--I'd give her all the $, of course, but I don't know how many would come, so I wouldn't want to offer her something I can't promise.

(But knowing Mariann's kids might participate is a huge plus! :D)[/QUOTE

:lol:

I have a friend who might be interested for her dd as well.

Yes. We have wrestled with French for several years and ended up hiring a private tutor - compared to that, your class would be a steal.

I would prefer the teacher to be a native speaker, but somebody who is really actually fluent would be fine. (I am emphasizing this point because I have seen very different claims of "fluency".)

Price depends on the area. We paid out tutor $30 per lesson.

ETA: I would be happy to start with a middle schooler, because four years of high school are not enough time to develop actual fluency in a foreign language.

We do something similar for Spanish here and the price point is similar too. It's been great! We round out the Spanish class with Rosetta and written homework. It's best if you can find a native speaker.