Menu

What are your thoughts on Teaching Textbooks Math courses? sm

Allison TX

I didn't want to hijack the thread below, but I am curious about the placement for TT. My ds is 3rd grade, currently using Horizons, and he seems to place in level 5. :confused: Is that accurate? Do most dc place higher in TT than in traditional programs?

Also, for those of you that have used TT, do you like the program? Do your dc like it? Is the instruction sufficient? Are there enough practice problems? How does it compare to more traditional math programs?

I thought I would wait until junior high to try something like TT, but am really considering it for next year. I would appreciate any thoughts.:)

I didn't want to hijack the thread below, but I am curious about the placement for TT. My ds is 3rd grade, currently using Horizons, and he seems to place in level 5. :confused: Is that accurate? Do most dc place higher in TT than in traditional programs?

Also, for those of you that have used TT, do you like the program? Do your dc like it? Is the instruction sufficient? Are there enough practice problems? How does it compare to more traditional math programs

Last yr when my dd was in 2nd grade (doing Horizons 3), she placed into either TT 6 or 7. (I can't remember exactly anymore) Horizons is NOT that advanced.....it is pretty much on grade level. There is absolutely NO WAY that she could have jumped into Horizons 6! She is definitely on par this yr with working through Horizons 4.

If I were going to use TT, I would contact TT and find out exactly who wrote the textbooks, the specific qualifications of the author(s) (not simply 2 degrees in whatever.....exact degree titles), who reviewed the materials prior to publication and their specific qualifications, what state standards are they meeting, and compare the Standards of Learning (SOLs) and TOCs (table of contents) of equivalent grade level textbooks.

The most significant question is has TT been approved by any State Boards of Education as meeting their SOLs? (not TT's saying they meet them, but has the textbook been reviewed by a state board and approved.) This is key in my opinion for algebra up.

I have never used Horizons but I have heard it is somewhat advanced so, it makes sense he would place there. I do think children tend to place higher in TT because of the placement tests, I am no expert tho. That was actually one of my concerns for NOT using it. I did not want to have a "fluff" math course for my dd. There has also been a lot of negative comments about TT not being "grade level".

If not for the fact ,that I personally know of a friend who used the upper levels of TT with great results, I may not have given it a second look. She had her son (16) take an advanced math course at the local community college after completing TT. He took his SAT and got a perfect math score and will , most likely be attending MIT this Fall. Yes, he is bright but this is why I decided to look again into TT. I am still not completely sold on it;) which is why I still plan on having my dd complete Singapore. I need her to finish TT to see if it really is what I am looking for. I can say, she loves doing the lessons, the teaching is so easy to understand but we'll have to see.

Also, for those of you that have used TT, do you like the program? Do your dc like it? Is the instruction sufficient? Are there enough practice problems? How does it compare to more traditional math programs

Last yr when my dd was in 2nd grade (doing Horizons 3), she placed into either TT 6 or 7. (I can't remember exactly anymore) Horizons is NOT that advanced.....it is pretty much on grade level. There is absolutely NO WAY that she could have jumped into Horizons 6! She is definitely on par this yr with working through Horizons 4.

If I were going to use TT, I would contact TT and find out exactly who wrote the textbooks, the specific qualifications of the author(s) (not simply 2 degrees in whatever.....exact degree titles), who reviewed the materials prior to publication and their specific qualifications, what state standards are they meeting, and compare the Standards of Learning (SOLs) and TOCs (table of contents) of equivalent grade level textbooks.

The most significant question is has TT been approved by any State Boards of Education as meeting their SOLs? (not TT's saying they meet them, but has the textbook been reviewed by a state board and approved.) This is key in my opinion for algebra up.

My husband and I have been discussing the value of comparing placement tests as an evaluation tool for parents wishing to compare programs.

In other words, are the items on a placement test indicative of the topics, depth of topics, and rigor in a particular program? For example, do you think it would be productive to compare the algebra placement test for Saxon (this would be for a student who has completed arithmetic and pre-algbra), Singapore, Horizons, Teaching Textbooks, etc, place them side by side and look at the quality of problems on each and then infer something about the quality of the arithmetic program? While a placement test does not indicate the rigor of the level that the student is placing into, would it indicate the level of rigor the student was exposed to in the program prior to that level?

What about a placement test such as TT 5th grade where there is no prior level offered?

It seems that one problem with this approach is that the parent himself would have to know enough about math to see the mathematical skill and knowledge required to solve a particular class of problems on the tests and they'd have to recognize when the presence of a topic is "superficial" (e.g. fractals in the third grade) vs when it's covered in depth so maybe my solution is circular reasoning. Just thinking aloud.

and seems to be the perfect fit for my 7th grader. Having said that, math has been a difficult subject for her so I chose TT for the style of teaching and layout. It has given her confidence and helped her to grow tremendously this year. Prior to this we used MUS. I have noticed that TT doesn't always go into the depth that other math programs do. For a child that handles math well, I would probably use something else to challenge them a bit more.

My ds tried TT Pre-Alg. last year and went crazy. He couldn't stand the way things were explained (too lengthy) and became very frustrated. We switched to Abeka Pre-Alg. and he is so much happier. He can read the instructions on his own (they aren't too long) and only comes to me when he has trouble.

Two kids, two very different learnging styles. If your child has been doing well in Horizons, I would recommend moving to something like Abeka or continuing with Horizons. If you are looking to switch because your child is struggling, then moving to TT or even MUS might work.

Let me first say, ds (12) has struggled a bit with math. We went from Rod and Staff into TT.

Ds LOVED the way TT teaches. I let him do all his TT work on the computer so it let him know immediately when he got a problem wrong. He was actually very happy with TT.

I decided to change when I began hearing that TT isn't as rigorous as other math publishers, and they are on their own scope and sequence, so they don't have to fit in with any other standards for public/private school.

My son was almost finished with TT6th when I had him take an assessment test from another publisher (ChalkDust) and he did not do well on it at all.

My other son in 4th grade took a TT placement test and it said he would have went directly into TT6th. When he took the ChalkDust placement test, however, it showed he was nowhere near ready for "traditional" 6th grade math.

Some people have used TT all the way through highschool and done well with it. I just had serious reservations and decided it wasn't worth it. We went with ChalkDust.

As an aside~~ TT only allows you 2 computer installations with each package. We used both on our home computers, and are now unable to resell it. I called them to check and they will not give me any more verification codes so I can resell it. I was very disappointed in that.

My husband and I have been discussing the value of comparing placement tests as an evaluation tool for parents wishing to compare programs.

In other words, are the items on a placement test indicative of the topics, depth of topics, and rigor in a particular program? For example, do you think it would be productive to compare the algebra placement test for Saxon (this would be for a student who has completed arithmetic and pre-algbra), Singapore, Horizons, Teaching Textbooks, etc, place them side by side and look at the quality of problems on each and then infer something about the quality of the arithmetic program? While a placement test does not indicate the rigor of the level that the student is placing into, would it indicate the level of rigor the student was exposed to in the program prior to that level?

What about a placement test such as TT 5th grade where there is no prior level offered?

It seems that one problem with this approach is that the parent himself would have to know enough about math to see the mathematical skill and knowledge required to solve a particular class of problems on the tests and they'd have to recognize when the presence of a topic is "superficial" (e.g. fractals in the third grade) vs when it's covered in depth so maybe my solution is circular reasoning. Just thinking aloud.

I would think a placement test is only indicative of what the publisher expects them to have mastered the prior yr/level. Accurate placement tests would not give only superficial concept questions, but equivalent questions of the concepts covered the prior yr.

Simply understanding a concept (like division) is not an accurate grade level description. For example, being able to complete 10/5 is obviously not an equivalent skill as 624/52895. Elementary level math typically is a constant expansion of difficulty of same concepts.....single digit addition, followed by double, triple, quadrouple, etc.

If a placement test is simply tests the concept and not the complexity than I think the placement test is a worthless tool.

Wow! Thanks for all the responses. You all have given me a lot to think about, especially in regards to higher level math. I will obviously have to research TT more thoroughly. My 3rd grader is not struggling with Horizons, he is doing great! I just thought that since Horizons only goes through grade 6, I should start thinking about what to do after......and then I discovered that TT has level 4 coming out soon, and that it might be easier to change now as opposed to later.

Also, for those that have used Horizons through level 6, or another program that only goes through the elementary grades, what have you chosen for pre-algebra and up? Thanks!

my 5th grader is in TT6 (basic 5th grade math) and my 6th/7th grader did TT7 (basic 6th grade math) in 4 months and is now in CD PreAlg.

I loved TT 6 & 7 for the transition to homeschool. But we will do a more traditional sequence for PreAlg and up. Our local private schools use Prentice Hall and I want my kids operating at that level, appropriate for their age/grade. Since Prentice Hall doesn't have a dvd component, I went w/ CD.

The price of CD PreAlg was $335 but math is not something I want to skimp on. Its like having Dr. Mosely in our living room teaching math. My ds 12 loves it and likes the challenge, explanations and pacing much better than TT. I am glad that both my kids can use the program and I can resell it later for a decent price.

TT has been a great option for us. My mathy dh will ensure the kids are getting what they need to out of their math program, above and beyond the text. BUT we felt the need to supplement TT w/ Singapore CWP. I don't feel we need to do that w/ CD.

I hope this helps. I'd be happy to help in any way if you need more info.

I havent been able to read all the posts so forgive me if I am duplicating anything.

My dd tested in TT 7 at the end of Sax 56. She tested very well - in fact it was close to going up a level in TT. I am so glad we kept her in 7. It has been a great but challenging year. She is doing well, but it is an effort for her. IT is not coming easily and she is not" flying through".

TT does seem to have a different scope and sequence. But, so does MUS. Different is not necessarily bad. Look at your long range goals and your state requirments. Are you required to do yearly testing? Are you planning on putting dc in public school soon and want to follow their scope and sequence? IF so, then TT and MUS type programs with a different scope and sequence might not be a good fit for you.

It is a difficult choice, so take your time, look at your goals and options carefully before making a final choice.

I just called her, she said he did Pre-Alg & Alg I in the same year at 14. She had him take the tests in Alg. I only until he got an 85% and then started him there. The following year he did Alg. II and Geometry at 15. he took the PSAT in October and got a Merit Scholarship. She put him in the local Comm. College and he was able to cover Trig. and Pre-Calc. Then she had him take the SAT and he scorec 2400 on the math. He is currently taking Statistics & Functions and Calculus this semester.

To be quite honest this all sounds like Greek to me, my oldest is only 9 :)

Hope this helps.

• 4 years later...

We recently switched to TT Pre-Algebra from BJU and Abeka. I was very concerned about switching due to stories of TT not being comprehensive. I have found TT Pre-Al to be on par with BJU Pre-Al. TT is covering the same things as BJU Pre-Al just in slightly different order. We use a math instructor for weekly teaching/review who has her MA in Math and Instruction. She is concerned that TT is not rigorous enough but we are going to supplment with LOF and Hands On Equations and reassess midyear. Our math instructor has reluctantly agreed to use TT Pre-Al with supplemental. My learner is a visual learner who struggles with math so this program may be a good fit for her.

My son, 5th grade saw TT format and loved it. We had completed Saxon until 4th grade. He tested into TT 6 when he was in 4th grade but I reviewed the scope and sequence and placed him in TT5. I definitely supplement with LOF and build in supplemental practices as I see fit. We also do a variety of other cognitive skill builder games related to math. His recent testing reveals that he is above grade level for math. Not sure if this is natural ability, Saxon overflow or his last year of TT or all combined:001_smile:.Time will tell I guess. I will admit that I am concerned but my kids are much happier which makes math time much more pleasant. I am definitely tracking the progress closely and will change instruction if needed. Thanks for posting this question. I enjoyed reading and learned much from the other responses.

We're using tt3 after a year of second grade in a private school with an advanced curriculum. She always had high marks in math and A grades on her report card. I didn't do the placement test since I saw the program at a curriculum fair and thought it would work. She breezed through the first several lessons without the cd, it was good review and got her to like the book. The lessons are still pretty easy for her but she's doing the cd parts (she really likes getting the use the computer). I'm letting her do 5+ lessons per week. She'll be ready for tt4 mid year but I feel it's good for her to be really solid on the more basic stuff before trying anything more challenging. I can see starting with tt5 next year and possibly getting in tt6 closer to the end of the year.

As an aside~~ TT only allows you 2 computer installations with each package. We used both on our home computers, and are now unable to resell it. I called them to check and they will not give me any more verification codes so I can resell it. I was very disappointed in that.

That is really odd. On the TT website FAQ, it says this:

Can I resell all my Teaching Textbooks?

A. Yes, you most definitely can. And there is absolutely no limit to the number of times our products can be resold. Just remember that if the product has a serial number, you'll need to tell the buyer to give us a call so we can update the serial number for them.

I would try calling again!

A. Yes, you most definitely can. And there is absolutely no limit to the number of times our products can be resold. Just remember that if the product has a serial number, you'll need to tell the buyer to give us a call so we can update the serial number for them.

:iagree:We borrowed several levels of TT from our Public School (ALE's) lending library and called for codes and had no problems.

OP - we use TT as a supplement only and we are still at the lower levels but.. I think it's a matter of what your student is going for. If they want to go on to college and get a degree in a field where upper math is needed .. I might say look to a more "rigorous" program.. If they are just fulfilling requirements to graduate and get on with it.. then TT might be the way for you. Also, TT explains things very simply and well, so if they need the step by step explanations it might also be the program for you. I have heard wonderful things and terrible things.. You are doing the right thing by asking others. I hope you find a reply here from someone whose dc sounds like they learn like your dc and you can get an idea of how your dc might do with the program. Good luck to you!

Edited by tomandlorih
clarity

This thread is from 2008 so that could account for the disparity.

we are switching to TT from CLE (which i consider CLE to be a little advanced & excellent!). in looking at the TT scope & sequence, i don't see it as being grossly behind though. they start to cover multiplication in grade 3, which is fairly normal for state standard curricula. i asked in another thread about supplementing, and what i plan to do is use life of fred alongside TT. in FL, the students here take the FCAT each year. as a homeschooler, i have access to the FCAT website where my kids can log in and play games, so i figure they can do that a few times a week, which will allow me to see any gaps we should fill in. someone also suggested mental math. i loved that idea, as it involves no writing! so, i will incorporate that as well. for me, the switch will be worth it, as math is taking sooooo long currently for my daughter that i can't go where i need too in language arts right now with her. she did some of TT samples online and really liked it (of course - compared to pages of math, lol). anyway. i figure we can make most math curriculum work here, assuming i stick with it and oversee the process. i will switch to video text when she's older.

Edited by mytwomonkeys