Menu

WDYT of these baby names?

DH and I like to have names picked out early. Siblings are Logan Christopher, Emily Lynn and Olivia Rae.

Jonah Matthias - Jonah covers alot of Jo's in the family and Matthias is a variant of DH's first name. We would probably call him JoJo a lot.

Sophia Belle - I think Sophia goes well with Emily and Olivia. Belle is after Dh's great great grandma.

Love Jonah; don't care much for Matthias.

I think Sophia Belle sounds too trendy. It's very pretty, don't get me wrong. But I tend to like names that are Biblical as well as names that are unusual, but not so strange that no one can pronounce them.

But you know what? It honestly doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. If you and your dh love the names, go with them. :001_smile:

I wouldn't go for Belle but it's a family name, and that trumps everything--love family names!

Not big on JoJo, tho. Sorry.

:iagree: I'm not crazy about Belle but it's a family name so it's meaningful to you and not just a cutesy space-filler type name.

JoJo is a bit too cutesy for me. It might work when he's a baby but he may dislike it when he's older. Why not just call him Jonah?

Cutesy name story: We knew a boy who was named for his father; the parents decided to use his middle name to refer to him but they used the nickname--Ricky. As he got older (around elementary age) he thought Ricky was baby-ish and wanted to be Rick. Around middle school age he wanted to be Richard. By the time he got to high school he chose to be called by his full first name; dad used the nickname of their first name.

Unfortunatly, Sophia is the most common baby girl name, and Isabella (very similar to Belle) is #2. http://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/popularnames.cgi You can still name her that, but just know that as she gets older, she'll probably be one of several Sophias on sports teams, in her workplace, etc.

I like Jonah. JoJo just seems like what an old lady would call her dog (sorry!). Your other children's names are classic and mature, so JoJo just seems out of place to me. I think it might not age well -- a 25 year old man that everyone calls JoJo seems a bit strange to me.

Have you checked out Nymbler for more ideas? http://nymbler.com/

:iagree: I'm not crazy about Belle but it's a family name so it's meaningful to you and not just a cutesy space-filler type name.

JoJo is a bit too cutesy for me. It might work when he's a baby but he may dislike it when he's older. Why not just call him Jonah?

Cutesy name story: We knew a boy who was named for his father; the parents decided to use his middle name to refer to him but they used the nickname--Ricky. As he got older (around elementary age) he thought Ricky was baby-ish and wanted to be Rick. Around middle school age he wanted to be Richard. By the time he got to high school he chose to be called by his full first name; dad used the nickname of their first name.

Unfortunatly, Sophia is the most common baby girl name, and Isabella (very similar to Belle) is #2. http://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/popularnames.cgi You can still name her that, but just know that as she gets older, she'll probably be one of several Sophias on sports teams, in her workplace, etc.

I like Jonah. JoJo just seems like what an old lady would call her dog (sorry!). Your other children's names are classic and mature, so JoJo just seems out of place to me. I think it might not age well -- a 25 year old man that everyone calls JoJo seems a bit strange to me.

Have you checked out Nymbler for more ideas? http://nymbler.com/

We call all the kids cutest nicknames when they are little. Logan was Logi Bear, Emily is Emmie, Olivia is Livvy or Livers(no clue where that came from!) I really like nicknames for some reason. We would use just Joe but it is MIL's middle name and we have a really strained relationship. Of course when he gets older we plan to just use Jonah but when they are toddler age I like cutesy nicknames. I have used nymbler but DH is being really picky this time!

I think calling a little one JoJo is fine. My nephew Joseph was Joey as a little boy and became Joe as he got older. I suspect the same would apply in your case. For the girl's name, I would use Isabelle for the middle name. You are still honoring the family member, but avoiding the "Disney" effect of just plain Belle. I love the name Sophia and would have used it, but there was a family with whom we had daily contact who had a Sophia nearly the same age. But, where we live now, I know of only one Sophia and she is a woman my age.We went with Lillian instead (calling her Lily). There were no Lilys around. Then we moved here and there are so many Lilys that my dd went through a phase of wanting to be called Lillian. I think the popularity of a particular name is regional and would not let a "national" list sway me.

I like both of the names you have picked! We have a Jonah, too. He is Jonah Bear at home (his middle name is Barrington). His friend's dad called him JoJo at a birthday party a few years ago and now that is what all of his friends call him.

:thumbdown: not an appellation I would ever want applied to my child. *especially* a son.

Why is that? I worked at a daycare about 8 yrs ago now and there was the cutest little boy, named Joesph, but everybody including his parents called him JoJo. That's were I got it from.

I like Jonah, but hesistate since he did run away from God and hide when God called him..... Have you thought about Josiah?

LOVE Matthias.

I agree with others about not liking JoJo.

I like Sophia, but not Sophia Belle. I do like Isabella and Isabelle. Isabelle is the Spanish equivalent for Elizabeth. Is Sophia Elizabeth a possibility?

These are great choices!

I like Jonah, but hesistate since he did run away from God and hide when God called him..... Have you thought about Josiah?

LOVE Matthias.

I agree with others about not liking JoJo.

I like Sophia, but not Sophia Belle. I do like Isabella and Isabelle. Isabelle is the Spanish equivalent for Elizabeth. Is Sophia Elizabeth a possibility?

These are great choices!

Josiah was actually a runner up. It was between Josiah Leo and Jonah Mattias. I thought the Jonah combo flowed better. I am thinking about changing Belle to Isabelle to avoid the disney reference. I didn't think of that before. We can't use Elizabeth, DH likes to use family names as middle name and there is no one in the family named Elizabeth.

My son is Josiah and my sister called him JoJo as a baby. It stuck. But he's about to turn 7 and just this week he asked us not to call him that anymore. Honestly, at home he's more often JoberDoo than JoJo. His friends sometimes call him Siah, but mostly it's just Josiah. Jonah is even shorter, I don't feel like it's one of those names that needs a nickname. You may choose to call him JoJo but I doubt many people outside of your family would follow suit unless you introduced him that way.

I like the girl names, but as others have said, there will be lots of them. Not that that is a bad thing. I think names that are common because they are classics (like Elizabeth ;) ) aren't necessarily a bad thing. It's the ones that are weird and popular that bother me. I won't list the ones I'm thinking of here as I'm sure someone here uses those names. :D But those people probably don't like my kids' names, so that's okay, too. We're all just so different.

Love the girls name! I don't know a single Sophia and have always loved it! DH not so much. I love Belle too, especially as it is a family name. Not cartoonish at all! I love old fashioned names and family names!

I have never cared for Jonah because of the Bibical story. Not a great role model! Have you thought of Jon Jon for a nickname? I think that is the cutest nickname ever for a little boy and I'm personally apposed to nicknames!