Menu

Lewis and Clark/Westward Expansion Field Trip!

Hey All! We are looking toward next year and are planning a long field trip that would help us experience Westward Expansion and the Lewis and Clark Expedition. I wondered if anyone else had done that before and had suggestions for "Must See or Must Do" things along the way. I am open to anything and am just beginning planning. Kids have talked about wishing they could experience a covered wagon ride, riding in a canoe, and we want to see Mt Rushmore (We're originating from Colorado for the trip).

Any thoughts? Ideas? Even cool things not related that we might be able to see along the way?

Thanks so much!

I'm not sure if you want to go this way, but The Museum of Westward Expansion at the base of the Gateway Arch in St. Louis is one of my favorite museums ever. As you can tell by the name, it would fit your theme perfectly, and then you could go up in the Arch if you want. The museum is great, though, and the whole river front of St. Louis where it's located is a treasure trove of historical sites and buildings.

I would love to travel along the Lewis and Clark trail.

Do you have a book on the topic? (Traveling along it in modern times.) I picked one up at a used book sale a while back. I haven't read it all yet, just thumbed through.

Agreeing with above poster about museum at the base of the St. Louis arch.

We also really enjoyed the Lewis and Clark Missouri River Basin Visitor Center in Nebraska City.

There is a monument on a bluff in Council Bluffs, Iowa, that is fascinating as you stand overlooking the Missouri River bottom and see how wide it was during Lewis and Clark times.

There is a Lewis & Clark Museum right on the river in Nebraska City. Here's a link to the website for the place:

http://www.mrb-lewisandclarkcenter.org/

In Onawa, Iowa, there's a full-scale replica of the expedition's keel boat. We actually got to ride on the thing and, if I can find the pictures, I'll send scans of them to you. Understand, the park is the site of one of L & C's campsites, but it's a lake left over when the course of the river changed. Here's a link:

http://lewisandclarkfestival.blogspot.com/2011/04/lewis-and-clark-festival-onawaiowa.html

There's a monument to Sgt. Floyd, the only one who died on the trip, near Sioux City. Here's another link:

http://www.lewisandclarktrail.com/section1/iowacities/SiouxCity/FloydMonument/index.htm

Before you plan to go to any of these sites north of Nebraska City, be aware that the devastating flooding that occurred this past year is still a problem for the area. Although the Interstate is open (finally), I'm not sure what kind of condition the Onawa park might be in, nor some parts of Sioux City. Just thought a heads up was in order.

What a fantastic idea. Are you coming all the way to the end of the trail? If so I have some suggestions. I'm from Oregon and know of three really great interpretive centers. I've been to the first two and they are wonderful. Of course there are many options in this part of the country, so I'll list some that come to mind, and the above mentioned are at the top of the list.

Oregon Trail Interpretive Center in Baker, OR (eastern part of the state)

End of the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center in Oregon City, OR (Willamette Valley)

Columbia Gorge Interpretive Center located about an hour east of Portland, OR along the Columbia River

Fort Clatsop - National Historic Park (Lewis & Clark wintered over here)

Fort Vancouver - National Historic Site in Vancouver WA, just across the Columbia from Portland Metro area (A lot of history related to the Oregon Trail here)

I'll chime in again if I think of anything else.

Blessings,

Lucinda

P.S. My dd had the awesome opportunity two years ago to travel with a 4H group along part of the Oregon Trail. They had horses, covered wagons and a chow wagon, but mostly they WALKED. Yowsa! She'll never forget that trip!

Great list above.

If you will be in Fort Clatsop, go just north of Astoria into Washington state. There's a great museum on the other side.

http://www.nps.gov/lewi/planyourvisit/index.htm

On Westard expansion generally:

--love the museum in St. Louis mentioned above.

-- great museum from the native perspective. http://www.tamastslikt.org/

-- the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody, WY is amazing. Could be a 2 day visit. http://www.bbhc.org/

I'm sure I'll think of more things and I'll come back and post.

I'm not sure if you want to go this way, but The Museum of Westward Expansion at the base of the Gateway Arch in St. Louis is one of my favorite museums ever. As you can tell by the name, it would fit your theme perfectly, and then you could go up in the Arch if you want. The museum is great, though, and the whole river front of St. Louis where it's located is a treasure trove of historical sites and buildings.

Yes, this was a real treat and surprise on our road trip a couple years ago. It's an amazing museum! Hope it's close enough for you to travel to. Well worth it.

On the Oregon end of things, Fort Clatsop, where the party wintered in 1805, is a wonderful place to visit. They have recreated the fort and have interpreters there in the summer at least who are very helpful. We also went to the museum across the Columbia in WA and enjoyed that. I love the Oregon Trail museum by Baker City on the eastern end of the state.

Oh My Gosh!! You all have totally convinced me to start in St. Louis! Hadn't thought of that, but based upon your comments we are doing it. Also, yes, we are planning on going the whole distance and making it a three week trip if we can at all possibly do it. I so appreciate all your great suggestions and need to go check every single link out now.

What a fountain of knowledge these boards are!

Cindy

I just wanted to agree with going to Tamastslikt Cultural Center near Pendleton, Oregon, as it truly is a great museum from the native perspective. I will never forget the little clapboard church interactive exhibit about the Whitman Massacre from their point of view. It still resounds in my mind that the biggest reason most natives rejected Christianity was because those that brought the message to them couldn't even get along with each other! ("Black Coats" and Protestant missionaries) What a timeless lesson for Christians. I look at that part of history so differently now because of having gone there and learned from the confederated tribes' perspective. The whole museum is very thought provoking, and I hope you are able to fit that one in while in eastern Oregon.

Blessings,

Lucinda