Menu

I have 1 year to cram as much in as I can

I have an upcoming 7th garder. We plan to work through this summer, next school year and next summer to gain as much ground as we can before he returns to mainstream school for 8th grade. This will be our first year homeschooling so I do not have expeience on my side.

DS is strong in math and science, weak in vocab, writing and grammar. Here is my tentative curriculum:

Math-Saxon Algerbra 1 (he took the placement test and complted Pre Alg in 6th grade in PS. He will have 1 session a week w/ a tutor.

History-SOTW, would ideally cover all 4 books.

Vocab- Unsure, possibly WordSmart program.

Writing-WWS

Grammar-I think I'm using the KISS system

Science-Co-op

And I'd like to read some classics this year. So far I have the Chronicles of Narnia and some Marl Twain.

Suggestions welcome!!

My advice is to take it slow at first. Don't dive in full force especially if you plan to cram in a lot of material. It doesn't help retention and it might be hard on your relationship. You will need breaks as much as he does!

I really don't feel like SotW is right for this grade level unless it is highly supplemented but you can't supplement if you try to cover too much ground. It just doesn't go deep enough. Since he will be returning to public school, you might want to look into http://worldhistoryforusall.sdsu.edu/.

Or you need to read The Well Trained Mind and approach history as suggeted for the logic stages. We are doing better with whfua.

A couple reading suggestions: Watership Down & The Hobbit.

"Cramming" and "first year of homeschooling" don't go well together, in my mind. If he's weak in vocabulary, you could use more than one vocabulary program. Maybe add in vocabulary cartoons to your regular program.

I don't see the need to cover all of history in one year. Maybe think of this less of a "content-covering" year, and more of a "skill-building" year. It doesn't really matter WHAT you cover, as long as he develops the skills he will need going into 8th grade and high school. Things like outlining, essay-writing, analyzing, organizing, study habits, science procedures, etc.

Have you ever heard Pudewa (of IEW) speak? In one of his talks he has this story about how his parents took him out on a sailboat for an entire summer and did nothing but READ to him aloud all day. Apparently there's little to do on a sailboat when you're in the middle of the ocean, lol. Anyways, my first thought when I read your "I've gotta cram and get all this done!" comment was to do just the opposite: slow down, read to him, give HIM lots of time to read. Those vocabulary scores are going to come up when he has time to read and think and enjoy. If he doesn't read, pick some stuff that will lure him into reading (SL, hint hint). Don't fill his day up with torture and cramming.

Let him read, buy him lego sets or science kits, get him the math tutor. Get him connected with something he really enjoys like a First Lego League or other teams. Help him find a hobby. Have him write some, but make sure you find something that's meaningful for him. A year at home is a thing to be treasured.

Unless he's a stellar grammar student, KISS doesn't make sense for him. It's not independent and uses very hard sentences. He'd do better with something really standard that is written to the student. You want him to be able to wake up, fly through it, and move on, not be frustrated waiting around for my to sort out some sentence that was irregular and didn't make sense and what in the world that part of speech is. Abeka would be a very solid choice for him, and it's pretty affordable.

For vocab, like I said, I think you'll get farther just letting him read, read, read.

Ok, history. Option one, like you're thinking, is doing the SL core aimed at junior high that covers all of SOTW. Some kids don't like SOTW and he's at an age where he *may* find it babyish. Just depends on the kid. If he's very mathy, he might prefer something very concrete. If I could suggest (depending on your budget obviously), the Veritas Press online LIVE class they call Transitions would be a fabulous fit for him. Has writing assignments, covers the entirety of history, but it uses the VP history cards as a framework. If he's not a history lover and needs things very quantified to understand them, it can work out well. I'm not dissing the SOTW idea at all, because I think it's good. Just make sure he likes them.

Reading for 7th grade? Well the easiest thing for you to do is to get WTM from the library and use the reading lists. You can pull from the 5th-8th grade reading lists, no problem. Even look at the earlier grades. There are fabulous picture books of the classics (Odyssey, Iliad, Shakespeare, etc.) that it recommends that make a fabulous foundation for understanding what he's going to read in high school.

You realize he's at a super-duper terrific age for Literary Lessons from Lord of the Rings? Ok, I haven't used the curriculum, but he's at the right age for the books. Have him read the Hobbit and then zoom right on into the trilogy. Gonna hook him. Also check out the Alex Rider series. I have no idea if they're fluff, but my dd just blew through a whole bunch of them this week, saying they're fun. (sort of a teenage James Bond)

Why is he hs'ing for just the one year? Knowing that might influence my suggestions.

I'm not happy with the public school he is attending, this past year went very poorly. He is straight A student and he wasn't challenged at all because the school standards are very low. He is still writing on a 4th or 5th grade level.

I'm homeschooling for just one year because I hope to send him to a private school for 8th -12th grade. They use classical methods and are very rigorous so I want to make sure he's ready when he goes there. Ideally we would have sent him this coming school year, but they had no openings.

I would recommend Sonlight Core W (1 year World History), Rod and Staff English 5 (it will solidify the basics), Writing With Style is a good choice, I agree with OhElizabeth about vocabulary-- have him read, read, read and read some more with a dictionary at his side. Also, a rec I read (in WTM??) is have your child read 1 fiction book, 1 science book, 1 history book, 1 poetry book, 1 additional non fiction book of their choice each week. (or 2 weeks, however long it will take)

Since you are hoping to send him to a particular private school, you may want to inquire as to what that school covers for 7th grade history. Once you know which time period to cover, you can use the WTM logic stage outlining and book recommendations to teach it.

I also agree with pp who said to focus on skill development and vocabulary through reading, reading, reading. And above all, enjoy this year together!

I'm homeschooling for just one year because I hope to send him to a private school for 8th -12th grade. They use classical methods and are very rigorous so I want to make sure he's ready when he goes there. Ideally we would have sent him this coming school year, but they had no openings.

Since this is your plan, I would find out what they do in 7th and do something similar. The Veritas Press catalog would give you a very good sense of what is probably expected. IEW SWI C, Shurley Grammar 7 (or something equivalent like R&S or AG), latin, and so on. Also, doing the VP live online Transitions class would be FABULOUS for him. It would step up the bar on the writing expectations, give him some accountability, and get him through the entirety of world history for a solid foundation for whatever that school does in 8th.

"Cramming" and "first year of homeschooling" don't go well together, in my mind. If he's weak in vocabulary, you could use more than one vocabulary program. Maybe add in vocabulary cartoons to your regular program.

I don't see the need to cover all of history in one year. Maybe think of this less of a "content-covering" year, and more of a "skill-building" year. It doesn't really matter WHAT you cover, as long as he develops the skills he will need going into 8th grade and high school. Things like outlining, essay-writing, analyzing, organizing, study habits, science procedures, etc.

:iagree:

What will his 8th grade look like? What will his high school years be like? Does he have any plans, himself? Does he have any weaknesses that could be worked on? Does he have any strengths that he would like to perfect?

Honestly, he's going into a system where you won't have much to say about content - unless you plan to afterschool - which means you should probably focus on those things you want him to have that he won't get in the school.

If it were me :001_smile: I would make a list of all the things I want my son to know before heading into high school. That would include things that might seem non-academic. Then I would look at that list and decide which I could accomplish at home in the time I had left.

I would not worry about cramming anything in. I would use the year to focus on developing study skills, adding to his literature base, allowing him to do something non-academic (build something, athletics, etc.), and develop a wonderful relationship between the two of you (that will go a long ways when dealing with teenage angst).

What will his 8th grade look like? What will his high school years be like? Does he have any plans, himself? Does he have any weaknesses that could be worked on? Does he have any strengths that he would like to perfect?

Honestly, he's going into a system where you won't have much to say about content - unless you plan to afterschool - which means you should probably focus on those things you want him to have that he won't get in the school.

If it were me :001_smile: I would make a list of all the things I want my son to know before heading into high school. That would include things that might seem non-academic. Then I would look at that list and decide which I could accomplish at home in the time I had left.

I would not worry about cramming anything in. I would use the year to focus on developing study skills, adding to his literature base, allowing him to do something non-academic (build something, athletics, etc.), and develop a wonderful relationship between the two of you (that will go a long ways when dealing with teenage angst).

:iagree:

Well I do agree with some others about focusing more on his weaknesses.

Have you looked at Hake Grammar? I used this for my 6th grader who came OUT of public school....we've had much success with it. We did not do the writing portion though. http://saxonhomeschool.hmhco.com/en/products/default.htm?level2Code=M0007&level3Code=M31085

We will be using Analytical Grammar for 7th grade for grammar of course. http://www.analyticalgrammar.com/

For writing in 7th we plan to use http://www.essentialsinwriting.com/course-catalog.php

I believe it does have some grammar in it as well but you would want to supplement.

My dd is a strong speller so we are going to be focusing on vocab for 7th grade as well....check out http://www.vocabulary.com/ It's FREE!

Next fall my 7th grader will be using https://www.hewitthomeschooling.com/Materials/mItem.aspx?id=8081

So this could help him in the literature, vocab, and some writing to help catch him up a bit. You would of course have your grammar and writing curriculum along with light. lit.

We are using Sonlight 6(G) for 7th....which uses SOTW 1&2...so using the SOTW books in my opinion for the logic stage for children coming out of public school is wonderful! I plan on getting the CD's as well.....she will use the UILE with the SOTW books along with all the books that come with it.....Even if you just got the CD's, researched using encyclopedia, watching documentaries, and mapwork/timeline then he will be just fine. I would imagine that could be an overload using all four books but the CD's may help.

Another suggestion could be that you follow the public schools history for 7th grade.....add those documentaries, mapwork, historical lit, and current events. This would be a great history/geography year!!

Try this current event link: http://hmcurrentevents.com/

This site lines up documentaries with SOTW....we will be using this, too!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en_US&hl=en_US&key=0AumgWD14ZCPSdGNRQVVjeVotbjcwVlByV3pPS2xJRlE&output=html

Sorry that this was such a mouth full......I'm in a hurry and tend to ramble a bit....hope this was helpful!

Edited by Murrayshire

My advice is to take it slow at first. Don't dive in full force especially if you plan to cram in a lot of material. It doesn't help retention and it might be hard on your relationship. You will need breaks as much as he does!

I really don't feel like SotW is right for this grade level unless it is highly supplemented but you can't supplement if you try to cover too much ground. It just doesn't go deep enough. Since he will be returning to public school, you might want to look into http://worldhistoryforusall.sdsu.edu/.

Or you need to read The Well Trained Mind and approach history as suggeted for the logic stages. We are doing better with whfua.

A couple reading suggestions: Watership Down & The Hobbit.

Thanks for adding that nifty history link! Def. using that one!