Menu

Have you noticed any funny contradictions in yourself?

For me I won't go running this morning. It's only 36 outside and raining. I won't run in the cold rain. BUT if it was 32 and snowing, wild horses couldn't keep me inside. (Well, as long as the paths weren't covered in ice.)

Anyone notice things like that? (Maybe not in relation to exercising!)

Lol. I know exactly what you mean.

I have always (even when I was young and skinny) had a more attractive self-image than the one I saw in the mirror. I remember at a church lock-in as a teen -- I was having the time of my life -- when I went into the bathroom and thought, "I don't look like that! I'm much prettier!"

Oh, well. I know some image problems are indicative of disorders, but mine just makes me think: "Gosh, I wish I hadn't eaten those chocolate chip cookies for breakfast."

Apparently, I don't look at the mirror often enough, lol.

Yes. I am a slob/obsessive organizer. Both. When I organize something, I spend hours and hours detailing and planning and arranging -- making labels, binders, shelves, etc. . . . while everything else falls apart.

When FlyLady talks about perfectionism keeping you from keeping things orderly, she's talking about me.

Oh, and I have symptoms of ADD while also having the ability to super-focus and shut everything else out. Sometimes, everything distracts me and I flit from crisis to crisis. And other times, I get so hyper-focused on one thing (paying bills, scrapbooking, surfing for information about photography, etc), that I forget to eat or go to bed.

Someone recently pointed one out to me when I blogged about my paranoia that people I know in real life will find and read my blog or other things I write on the internet. I don't have anything to hide, it's just a fear of worlds colliding. Anyway, in the same post I said that I'd looked up some people we used to know on YouTube, My Space, etc. I even posted a video I found of dh's former band mates. Someone called it to my attention and I thought, "Gee, what if they have the same freaky paranoia I have?" LOL

BTW, my paranoia does not extend to those here that I've found some past connections with. Bethinny, for example, shared here how we discovered that she was a student teacher at one of my former elementary schools--while I was there and for my brother's grade (though the other class). We never knew each other, though I'm sure we must have passed each other in the halls, so it doesn't freak me out:) Now, if she takes me up on my offer and decides to visit, that will freak me out a little:eek:, but it will be worth it!:D

I can't use margarine (hydrogenated oils) on anything. But I ate a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit FROM MCDONALDS for breakfast yesterday morning.

And before I was pregnant - I would smoke a clove ciggarette every day. Just one mind you - but to everyone who knows how organic I try to be - it did look odd.

Yep. We eat very healthy foods with few or no chemicals, no corn syrup, no artificial colors, home-cooked dinners -- not packaged meals, lots of veggies, almost no fried foods... And I drink Diet Pepsi by the gallon.

I'm got a lot of "crunchy" traits (breastfed dd long term, homebirth wannabe, natural foods, etc.) and a lot of more conservative traits, too (libertarian politics, socially conservative, etc.). Sometimes I confuse myself! ;-)

Lisa

That is so me. Organic, homegrown, whole food, made-from-scratch, recycle, compost....but I drink several Diet Cokes a day. I cannot drive *anywhere* without getting one from a drive-thru. Embarrassing confession: TWO of my dc learned to say "medium diet coke" before they could say much else. :rolleyes:

Now I can tell the dc there is someone else out there like me.

There is a disconnect between what the mirror says and what I look like. I don't look like me in the mirror. So I quit looking.

I am messy, but very organized in my head. Every time I get organized IRL my environment still isn't organized enough for me. Certainly it wouldn't pass muster with a truly organized person.

I hate clutter and love the streamlined, mid-century modern look. Don't live that way though, not nearly.

I dearly want to live in the country, but I don't like bugs or amphibians, am scared to death of reptiles and arachnids, and didn't find out until lately that people don't bathe their farm animals every day (I like clean animals).

I daydream about winning the lottery, but I never buy lottery tickets.

Basically, my life in my head and my life outside it are two different things.

That is so me. Organic, homegrown, whole food, made-from-scratch, recycle, compost....but I drink several Diet Cokes a day. I cannot drive *anywhere* without getting one from a drive-thru. Embarrassing confession: TWO of my dc learned to say "medium diet coke" before they could say much else. :rolleyes:

Now I can tell the dc there is someone else out there like me.

Amy,

My two kids from India learned that I am addicted to Diet Pepsi very early on. Ds still calls the local convenience store "the Pepsi store." If I pick up my keys to leave, he'll ask, "Where are you going, Mom - the Pepsi store?" ;-)

I know what you mean about the drive-thru stops. I know which drive-throughs have Pepsi products and I plan my route to go by a Pepsi drive-through if at all possible; even if it's out of my way. ::grin::

Take care,

Lisa

I'm a tightwad. I despise spending money. Hate it. Hate shopping. It pains me. BUT...

When it comes time to make a large purchase, I will get the biggest/bestest that I can possibly stretch myself to believe that I can afford. Makes no sense that a tightwad would do that. I guess I just want to make sure that I don't have to make another purchase of the sort for a LONG time.

A vivid memory from high school: At a late play rehearsal I was eating my health food brown-bag supper, and someone asked me if that's how I normally ate. I explained my health-food lifestyle. Then the McDonald's delivery showed up with my Quarter Pounder with Cheese and fries. :rolleyes:

I had given up on my friend ever showing up with the good stuff, so I had reluctantly eaten my virtuous homemade meal.

I hang out on a classical homeschooling board and even post suggestions and ideas about classical homeschooling to others with questions. And since I catch Every. Single. Virus. that comes down the pike, I'm often so foggy and under the weather that I am practically unschooling more often than I would like. Ugh. A little consistency, please, Sharon!