Menu

Brag Alert!

My dd (14) took both the AP Bio test this year and the SAT-BIO(E) exam. I called AP and received her score today. She made a 4! I'm very proud of her hard work, especially given that she had to finish the biology book and labs on her own ahead of her online AP class in order to finish it before the AP test.

On the SAT-BIO(E) exam she made a 750. I'm very proud of her.

Sorry, I just had to share the good news.

Congratulations Bev to you and your dd! Can I ask which online class she took? My dd is taking scholars online this coming fall. I want her to do the SAT test, but am hesitant about the AP test since she's so young. Did your dd have regular biology first and then AP biology? I've heard of some students doing this, but it seems silly to take biology twice (I know AP would be at a slightly higher level).

Wow! What great news! What online class did she use? My DS is doing biology next year and I'm still deliberating whether to have him aim for the AP test.

Hi Hilary,

My dd took AP Biology through Scholar's Online. First, let me say that she took three classes through SO this year and loved them. However, the biology class was not what I thought it would be. My dd had to work on her own ahead of the class to finish the textbook in time for the AP. Even the AP option (because SO combines regular biology with AP biology) was a disappointment. I thought they would be working on the essay type questions that they would see on the exam. They didn't do that at all. Technically, the class is still not over as the labs weren't posted in a timely fashion and therefore my dd hasn't finished the labs.

Between my two dc, dd will be taking two classes from SO this next year, and my ds three. However, neither of them will take a science class through SO again. In defense of the science teacher, she taught 11 online classes this year (several of which were AP), she works outside the home, and she has administrative responsibilities over the SO webpage. I honestly think she has just bitten off more than she can chew.

Oh, and to answer another poster's question. No, my dd did not have a full year biology class before this. We had completed Rainbow science previously (in one year), so we took 10 weeks to do the biology portion. That was it. However, my dd is very organized and very self-motivated. My ds will not follow this path as it would be painful for both of us.

HTH.

Way to go Bev and your dd.

We're still waiting on the AP Chemistry here (not through Scholars Online) -- calling will not change a thing and we're downplaying test results here -- but dd scored 770 on the SAT II. She has been telling me she thinks she'll get a 2, or maybe a 3 on the AP, so your results give me hope.

Actually, I'm really torn. She was so nervous taking the test, that I really feel that her victory was just sitting the exam, I want her to do well, but I also want her to know that she conquered Everest just by sitting the test.