Menu

Religious Content - if you aren't Christian - how do you handle conventions?

I didn't want to put CC as it's really not a Christian question.

If you aren't Christian but do practice a faith, how do you handle homeschool conventions that are overly Christian? What do you do when they open sessions in prayer? If it's obvious that you are not Christian - have you had issues?

In this case, you could react in a similar way we do during things like the National Anthem or the Pledge (which we don't stand for or recite). I sit, with my hands in my lap, and respectfully wait until they are done. I make sure not to talk or stare at people.

I am in a similar position in that the only conventions available to me are specifically Christian. I just avoid the sessions that I know will make me uncomfortable and I simply bow my head during prayers. I would do that anyway anywhere, so it isn't a big deal to me. I consider it politesse. When it comes to the vendors, I'e been homeschooling a long time, so I already know most of the unacceptable ones and I just avoid them. On occasion, I'm surprised but it's easy to just smile and walk away. I also try not to talk to anyone too much, because they'll ask what church you go to, and I'm not going to just make up something and lie.

I've only been to 3 conventions, all within the last 1-2 years, so I'm new-ish at it. I will be honest and say that they are not enjoyable events for me. I refuse to lie about who/what I am, so my only choice is to keep quiet and stand-off-ish. The vendors were not terribly helpful to me, although I was able to find some new, interesting curriculum that way.

All in all, I'm not sure that it would be worth it to me to go again. It is too stressful and uncomfortable.

Why would you need to "handle" anything? You are voluntarily going to an open event where there will be overt Christian stuff happening. So what? Why would this alter the behavior we all should expect from one another?

We Christians live in a world that largely goes against our beliefs, all day, every day. How should I "handle" going to the grocery store? It's not Christian. How should I "handle" going to the library? It's not Christian. How should I "handle" the secular curricula I choose for our school? It has non-Christian stuff in it. Every one of us, regardless of creed, is faced every day with stuff that doesn't fit our particular belief system.

Why anyone thinks a Christian homeschool convention is an appropriate place to wear deliberately provocative attire in order to mock Christian beliefs is utterly beyond me. Particularly when those same groups loudly and frequently insist that Christians must tolerate *their* beliefs. There are jackwagons of every creed and color; wouldn't it be nice if we all simply treated everyone with kindness and consideration, instead of trying to make a statement just to be heard?

Go and enjoy the convention, be discerning in line with the beliefs you hold, and be nice to everyone. Simple.

:iagree:

I've been able to attend some sessions that were really helpful and informative and not too over-the-top Christian. If there is a prayer, I will bow my head in respect. And there is usually enough non Christian-specific stuff in the vendor hall to keep my interest.

I do SO wish there would be a similar style secular convention. It would be so nice to actually go to sessions about homeschooling in general and teaching individual subjects.

No it isn't. Not anymore. It is quite overtly Christian. It didn't used to be, but it most certainly is now. They even changed their mission statement a few years ago to make it clear that they are a Christian organization. Everything, including most of the curriculum, is overtly Christian. If you aren't conservative Christian, and YEC for the most part, you will feel out of place.

To the OP - I handle it by not going. Of course we're years into our homeschool journey, but even when ds was younger I got most of my information online and by talking to other homeschoolers (both IRL and online).

Well, that is terribly discouraging. I had no idea. :001_huh: I lived in FL 9 years ago. I belonged to to a large inclusive home school group and at that time the convention was also very inclusive and a great deal of the talks were actually about education, curriculum and teaching methods. I had no idea that things had changed so much since I moved. It is so sad because it used to great convention.

huh???? That is the one I'm talking about! It isn't balanced at ALL! The keynote address last year bashed the president of our country, and assumed everyone would be in on the "jokes" he told about our government. Almost every speaker is Christian. The booths promote a very strict version of fundamentalist, republican outlook. I dare you to find a single book about evolution in that entire hall.

Things have changed a lot since I moved. See my reply to Floridamom.

I'm christain. I have not been to "christian" homeschool conventions and none to my awarness have ever had an opening or closing prayer. some venders are overtly religious - I tend to skip them as it's not curricula I'm interested in anyway.

eta: I guess our state convention is more "academic" than religious. though there are certainly overtly religious types - I just skip them.

Edited by gardenmom5

I simply do not attend.

11 years ago, I tried one in the heathen city of Newton, MA. I had no idea what I was going to face. I had no idea Newton had so many evangelical Christians. My oldest bought anti-halloween tracts for the hilarity of it. (I'm not proud, but honestly, they *were* poorly illustrated & historically incorrect.)

I never tried another convention.

My children were young, so I was still Holt unschooling. I was frustrated, and left with nothing. I had wanted to attend an unschooling conference, but I also understood we would not be radical enough for that, and I didn't want my kids to be apologists about our mixed up and gentle doings.

I am not sure what the deal is. The silent majority is an untapped market. You would think we would matter in a financial sense.

Edited by LibraryLover