Menu

PA Homeschoolers, AP classes, worth it?

Do those of you who have had kids take the classes, was it worth it? The price tag seems so high, several people say 'you can do that on your own,' and honestly,

NO I CAN'T. At least, not for AP Language or Lit. Possibly for US History, but I don't have any confidence with this being my first homeschooler in high school. She's been the guinea pig, and on some things, my choices weren't the best.

Did your kids score well on the tests after taking the classes? She's a child who does well with deadlines given by others, always does her work, works hard...and wishes she didn't have to work so hard.

I did some searches trying to find past discussions, not sure why I couldn't bring them up.

We had very good experiences with PA Homeschoolers classes. My one complaint right now is that there hasn't been much communication in ds15's Human Geography course about how he is doing. Part of the problem is ds's lack of communication with me. He is in the "answer everything with a grunt or OK" phase.

ETA: Hit post too soon. Ds18 has taken US History and World History and has really like them. He is receiving excellent feedback in a timely manner so he has steadily improved his analytical and writing skills. He got a 4 on US History (to go with the B+ he got in the class) and expects to get an A in World History and thinks he will get a 5 on the exam that he takes tomorrow. Ds15 feels very confident about the exam on Friday.

So, in sum, we feel that the classes have been positive learning environments. We could not have self-studied. I am a math-science gal and could not have adequately prepared them for the exam, nor would they have experienced the growth they have without excellent guidance and instruction.

Edited by dirty ethel rackham

Ditto, this.

My dd has taken Bio and Chem, and we've been very happy with the availability of the teachers, the depth of subject matter... all around it has been fantastic. She scored a 5 on the Bio, won't know about Chem until July, but honestly the level of learning compared to what this non-sciencey mom could have pulled out of a hat was worth it, no matter the score (but she's pretty confident that she scored well).

My four kids have taken a total of 12 AP classes through PAH.

The quality varied from very good to totally awesome, but honestly the weakest class has still been very good.

All of the classes have thoroughly prepared my kids for the AP exams.

Benefits:

1) The classes have had excellent teachers who have given my children with challenges and feedback that I could not have provided.

2) The classes have provided my kids with amazing fellow students, people who. my kids have found exciting to be around.

3) My kids have had to work extremely hard, especially in AP chem, but the company of fellow-sufferers has made them realize that they aren't the only ones going this academically rigorous route!

4) The teachers have written many of my kids' college recommendations, which is HUGE!

We consider the courses to be well worth the cost.

I'm signing up my son for AP Computer Sciences. Wish us luck!

Is an AP Class supposed to follow a regular class? Does one do a regular Chemistry class before taking AP Chemistry? Or does one go directly into AP Chem?

My son loves chemistry, so we're planning to have him do AP Chem, but I don't want him to do two AP classes on his first year dealing with APs...

Is an AP Class supposed to follow a regular class? Does one do a regular Chemistry class before taking AP Chemistry? Or does one go directly into AP Chem?

My son loves chemistry, so we're planning to have him do AP Chem, but I don't

Typically, students take a high school level first, then AP (college level).

HTH!

Cleo, if your ds is motivated and willing to do some prep work the summer before the AP, it can work without having the high school class.

My dd entered APBio without ever having taken the high school level course, and it was fine.

The biggest hurdle to a very young student taking a science course would be the math.... gotta have strong math esp. for Chem and Physics.

Edited by Jen in NY
adding more info

My daughter took AP Statistics as a 12th grader with Carole Matheny. She was very well prepared for the exam and scored a five. She learned a lot and has found the knowledge she acquired beneficial in some of her current college classes.

Regards,

Kareni