Menu

Watched the IndoctriNation documentary last night...WOW!

This is absolutely true. There is free speech for all viewpoints - except Christianity. A teacher could easily begin outright indoctrination in any other tradition or trendy new-agey thing and it would be fine; it would be considered the promotion of "diversity".

Give us a real example of this happening?

I'm confused as to why it would be shocking that the public schools aren't engaging in religious indoctrination. I'm also confused as to what this has to do with Paganism.

:iagree:

Ok, I get that there are Christians in the world and that they feel their religion should be the most importnant aspect of their education but what I don't get by attacking public school is WHICH Christianity do these people want in the schools? JW? Mormonism? 7th Day Adventist? Baptist? Because it seems to me that the people screaming public schools are "pagan" are the ones who have a very, very specific set of beliefs and consider the teaching of any other beliefs heresy.

:iagree: Do we really need to revisit Ken Ham's beliefs on people (including the mainstream Christians he calls pretenders, deceivers and liars, to include SWB, a pastor's wife?) who disagree with his minority views?

To quote John Lennon (who was talking to the other side at the time): if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao, you ain't gonna make it with anyone anyhow.

Edited by Mrs Mungo
Tiny phone keyboard

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The purpose of the documentary wasn't to get parents to change the public schools to fit them, it was to encourage Christian parents to withdraw their children FROM the public schools. There is a big difference.

Ok. So nothing the public school system can do would make these people happy? I'm still confused as to why they needed a movie to prove this that went out to the general public (I mean, can I watch this on Netflix?)

What I'm trying to say is, shouldn't homeschooling simply be part of this religion's mandates? Don't you all have faith specific rules you're supposed to follow? There's the Catholics and fish on Friday thing, the Saturday - not Sunday thing for 7th Day Adventists and the no party thing for JWs. So is this specific sect just supposed to homeschool?

So what exactly do these people want?

Control. In some cases in the past (and sometimes still today), local public schools were effectively controlled by the dominant churches in the area. As those churches more and more lost the ability to dictate what was taught in schools, they have responded by attacking public schools and pushing for all Christians to leave them and turn to homeschooling and private schools.

I find it a bit entertaining when they blame young people leaving their churches on public schools, as imo, they should probably look inwards a bit at their own hypocrisy and consider whether or not that is having an impact.

No...we are not a works based religion. We don't "have" to check off certain boxes in order to be "christian enough" or doing the right things to get into heaven.

I don't consider myself a radical, simply trying to raise godly children in a very ungodly world. Do I get it right all the time? Certainly not. Do I want my children exposed to what's out there? Yes, at the right time. Do I want to be able to combat "what's out there" based on our faith, absolutely. Would they get that from their public school teacher? no. Should the public school teacher have to do that? no. Therefore, we chose not to go there.

I'm not under the guise that MY religion, or any religion for that matter, should be taught in public school. I simply don't think christian children belong in the PS system. You don't have to agree with MY OPINION. That's okay. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

Oh I have no problem with Christian children being educated at home because their parents prefer a religious education instead of a secular one. That's totally fine.

What's with the attacks on public schools though? The rhetoric about teachers being unable to teach their Christian beliefs in the classroom (why should they?) And the bit about Paganism? I attended public schools growing up and I don't remember a single Pagan thing about them, lol.

I really don't want to get in a fight with anyone, and I wish I knew how to edit my title to put (CC) on it. However, from your statement I would presume that you believe I am not a critical thinker. Quite the contrary, I AM critically thinking, and it just happens that I happen to have wisdom that leads me to believe that who my children spend more time with, will certainly influence who they become. I want what is poured into them to be in line with what their father and I believe. For us, you can't separate God and education, they fundamentally go together.

If you didn't want to start a fight, why did you post such an incendiary topic?

I don't understand why this board doesn't allow discussions about gay marriage, but posts about how public schools are pagan indoctrination centers destroying America are a-ok.

But that is the view espoused by this film *and* many of those featured in the film.

Not actually. Have you seen the film?

The film does lay the foundation of WHY they believe the way they do, but its message is for pulling christian children OUT of the public school system and being taught a biblical worldview.

I'm not under the guise that MY religion, or any religion for that matter, should be taught in public school. I simply don't think christian children belong in the PS system. You don't have to agree with MY OPINION. That's okay. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

For many of us that homeschool, we agree with you that we are making a good choice. But our similar choice can be for a very different reason. I am baffled when you are representing Christianity as needing 14K hours of indoctrination to achieve.

I grew up in a Christian family with that thinking and it only led to criminal abuse and isolation. So I apologize for my strong reaction. My reaction is to the repulsive choices that are perpetuated when a parent is only given one biased side of an argument. Fear does that to people. For that reason, I hate fear-mongering "documentaries" and that's what I'm having trouble with.

My mistake. Doug Phillips is in the film, though, and Vision Forum sells it.

Well, with him even involved, I would definitely be aware that his whole 200-year plan (or whatever it is called) might be the theme/plan behind the movie in the first place. I like some of the books/info that they offer but tend to stay clear of the items that were actually created BY them!!! :ack2:

Oh I have no problem with Christian children being educated at home because their parents prefer a religious education instead of a secular one. That's totally fine.

What's with the attacks on public schools though? The rhetoric about teachers being unable to teach their Christian beliefs in the classroom (why should they?) And the bit about Paganism? I attended public schools growing up and I don't remember a single Pagan thing about them, lol.

That's what I don't get either. Heck, I'd actually give public schools more consideration if I thought paganism was there!! These people don't seem to get that paganism does not equal atheism.

That is simply not true. When the accusation is accurate, it is what it is.

When someone bases their beliefs on a particular subject only on one point of view, then they lack critical thinking. The documentary the OP mentions is published by an organization with the stated goal of getting all Christians to remove their children from public schools. For anyone to take what they say as fact without fully looking at the issue and reviewing numerous sources demonstrates the above quite clearly.

Quite an assumption, don't you think?? :confused:

If you didn't want to start a fight, why did you post such an incendiary topic?

I don't understand why this board doesn't allow discussions about gay marriage, but posts about how public schools are pagan indoctrination centers destroying America are a-ok.

Are you joking?? From everything I have ever seen here, the reverse of what you say is blazingly, boldly obvious!!

Not actually. Have you seen the film?

The film does lay the foundation of WHY they believe the way they do, but its message is for pulling christian children OUT of the public school system and being taught a biblical worldview.

That is not the only intent of the film. The implication is clearly: let's pull our kids out until the schools go back to the way they are supposed to be, Christian!

Why all the talk about a lack of Christian instruction, if there is no desire for Christian instruction? Your claim does not logically follow. This film is a sort of gateway into Christian Reconstructionism, which is *unquestionably* the goal of many of those interviewed in the film and by VF, which carries it. This is why people are saying that you are not using critical thinking skills to see the intent behind this film.

PrincessMommy: Honestly, if my kids were in public school I'd rather them not teach religion.

Not teaching religion is fine, and preferable. Being virulently opposed to and mocking Christian faith is not fine, and it does happen.

I know plenty of homeschooled families where kids have completely fallen off the cliff. Does that mean that ALL homeschooling is bad or that all homeschool parents are religious nuts? I think not.

This is true too, unfortunately.

Mrs Mungo: That is not the only intent of the film. The implication is clearly: let's pull our kids out until the schools go back to the way they are supposed to be, Christian!

I don't think anyone is deluded enough to believe that we are ever going "back" to anything.

I'd be thrilled with neutral, if there even is such a thing, as opposed to antithetical to Christian faith.

Not teaching religion is fine, and preferable. Being virulently opposed to and mocking Christian faith is not fine, and it does happen.

Teaching religion also does happen. I saw a LOT more teaching of religion than mocking of it when I was in PS.

I agree that neither should happen (there are both bad teachers and teachers who make mistakes out there, on both sides), but I have not seen any evidence that public schools are on an evil plot to do away with Christianity.

Any film highlighting Doug Phillips, Gary North, Ken Ham, et al is not going to be well received by mainstream Christians in the know. I strongly reject the ideas of "Christian Reconstructionism" and those are the ideas pushed in this film.

Who are these people?

And I'm not being facetious~I'm genuinely curious of who is included in this description.

If you are anything other than Christian, NONE of this will make sense to you. If you are christian, I don't understand why it is all that hard to grasp that your children, if in public schools, will NOT be receiving a biblical worldview.

AND if you are christian, and okay with that, I have to wonder why?

Not actually.

Well, ok, but I am a Christian, and what I want for my children is not a "biblical worldview," but a Christ-like world view. My goal for my children's religious education is that they live in the world, but not belong to it. Taking children out of schools because they will be in the world is foolishness, IMO, and contrary to both my personal views, and those of my Church.

I'd be thrilled with neutral, if there even is such a thing, as opposed to antithetical to Christian faith.

The thing is: there is NO neutral. You are either for Christ or against Him.

I didn't say it...Jesus did. ;)

If you are anything other than Christian, NONE of this will make sense to you. If you are christian, I don't understand why it is all that hard to grasp that your children, if in public schools, will NOT be receiving a biblical worldview.

I don't think anyone disputes that.

Because I am secure enough with what our family believes that I would not be concerned about my children being exposed to different beliefs.

Can you expand on the bolded? I don't know what you mean by this.

I don't think anyone is deluded enough to believe that we are ever going "back" to anything.

Then, you have not read their writings.

I attended public schools and a large public university. I encountered a disdain for non-Christians as often as I encountered a disdain for Christians, a disdain for Democrats as often as a disdain for Republicans, a disdain for students who were different as often as a disdain for kids who conformed to fit in. Blanket statements are what get people in trouble in these discussions. It was never my experience that the public school system *as a whole* was rabidly against Christianity. One of my AP teachers in high school was a Catholic deacon who often talked about his faith.

Kind of ironic, don't you think, that Doug Phillips and VF are affiliated with anything accusing anyone else of *indoctrination*? Just saying...
That's just what I was thinking. :glare: And Ham. There are few out there who qualify as Christian and who are not guilty of biblical compromise in Ham's view. Edited by nmoira

I don't understand why it cannot be taught at home. Putting your children in PS or *any* school does not mean that you cannot teach your own beliefs at home.

School is not the "big bad wolf"...unless, of course, your livelihood depends upon convincing homeschoolers that it is so that you can stay in business yourself...

(I am a Christian and I homeschool...but not out of fear.)

I know many Christian families who have happily graduated/sent kids to public school. I don't think they would consider themselves any more or less Christian than you....

Because not all Christians believe the Bible is the end-all be-all of Christian belief or teaching. Catholic Christians don't, Orthodox Christians don't, Episcopalian/Anglican Christians don't, etc. What you describe and wish to assign to all Christians is a very specific TYPE of Christianity, to which many not only do not subscribe, but actively object.

Ok. So nothing the public school system can do would make these people happy? I'm still confused as to why they needed a movie to prove this that went out to the general public (I mean, can I watch this on Netflix?)

What I'm trying to say is, shouldn't homeschooling simply be part of this religion's mandates? Don't you all have faith specific rules you're supposed to follow? There's the Catholics and fish on Friday thing, the Saturday - not Sunday thing for 7th Day Adventists and the no party thing for JWs. So is this specific sect just supposed to homeschool?

The documentary was geared to professing Christians, as an attempt to "wake them up." I don't believe it was released in theaters to the general public (just because it is -- or is not -- available on netflix is meaningless when determining a movie's target audience)

Christianity calls for parents to be responsible for the upbringing of their children -- that simply means they bear the responsibility for it, not that they must be the ones "doing" it. The "rules," well then we can get into denominational battles, as they differ based upon their interpretation of scripture, which parts of the Bible are literal, which parts are illustrative, etc.

There are many, many people who are completely ignorant about what may (or may not) be in their local schools. They drop their kid off, and leave the rest up to the school. There are schools that have horrible curriculum, there are schools with excellent curriculum. There are schools with horrible teachers, there are schools with excellent teachers. But, many parents simply "assume" that it was "good enough for me," without thinking critically, or even turning a critical eye toward what their child may (or may not) be learning. Christians are included in this group.

So yes... the documentary is meant to shock. Is everything the documentary presents 100% true 100% of the time? No. Does it "accomplish" it's purpose? That's debatable.

Because not all Christians believe the Bible is the end-all be-all of Christian belief or teaching. Catholic Christians don't, Orthodox Christians don't, Episcopalian/Anglicans don't, etc. What you describe and wish to assign to all Christians is a very specific TYPE of Christianity, to which many not only do not subscribe, but actively reject.

:iagree:

Can you expand on the bolded? I don't know what you mean by this.

Well, your children are either going to have a biblical worldview or a secular worldview...through what lens do they view the world? As a christian, wouldn't you want your children to discern, reason, and CRITICALLY THINK, through the wisdom and instruction of the Lord? That is a biblical worldview.

From 8-4 each day they will be given clear instructions to think differently than that. Never will they be asked or told to give reason and thought based on what scripture says, only what man says.

You can't tell me that THAT more heavily influences your children's thought process day in and day out...

Who are these people?

And I'm not being facetious~I'm genuinely curious of who is included in this description.

Those who are aware of the existence, interests and desires of the people that I listed. Plenty of mainstream Christians have no idea that such ideas exist, that makes them easy prey.

Correct. But, that is not what those interviewed in the film want. There is lots of stuff out there about Christian Reconstructionism and Dominionism. Go read it, don't take my word for it.

I am okay with the schools not teaching from an exclusively Christian POV. I homeschool and Ken Ham, Doug Phillips and company would still strongly disapprove of views that I teach my kids.

Because not all Christians believe the Bible is the end-all be-all of Christian belief or teaching. Catholic Christians don't, Orthodox Christians don't, Episcopalian/Anglicans don't, etc. What you describe and wish to assign to all Christians is a very specific TYPE of Christianity, to which many not only do not subscribe, but actively object.
Until I moved to the US and started hanging around homeschooling boards (and homeschoolers), I'd literally never met any Christian who claimed to be YE. I had no idea there were people who believed this.

Well, your children are either going to have a biblical worldview or a secular worldview...through what lens do they view the world? As a christian, wouldn't you want your children to discern, reason, and CRITICALLY THINK, through the wisdom and instruction of the Lord? That is a biblical worldview.

Ken Ham's version of a Biblical world view? Which says that people like our benefactress should be tossed into the sea for not demanding that everyone who writes for her company believe in a literal 7 day creation?

Doug Phillip's version of a Biblical worldview in which we should bring back stoning and slavery?

No, I don't.

I know many Christian families who have happily graduated/sent kids to public school. I don't think they would consider themselves any more or less Christian than you....

I would NEVER say I am "more" christian, or think someone else "less" christian...I certainly don't have any authority on that mess. 88% of christian children come out of the PS system walking away from their faith, leaving 12% that still hold those convictions. I understand that it is possible. Is that a field that I want my children to battle alone and HOPE they are among the 12%? no

Could my children still walk away from their faith after I homeschool them? definitely Do I think my statistics will be more to my favor by keeping them out of the PS? absolutely

From 8-4 each day they will be given clear instructions to think differently than that. Never will they be asked or told to give reason and thought based on what scripture says, only what man says.

You can't tell me that THAT more heavily influences your children's thought process day in and day out...

1. Not necessarily. I want my children to discern, reason, and critically think. Truth is truth and will always stand up for itself.

2. I don't want them to give reasons and thoughts based on what a book says. I want them to give reasons and thoughts because they have learned the facts, weighed things carefully, and have come to a well-supported conclusion.

I would NEVER say I am "more" christian, or think someone else "less" christian...I certainly don't have any authority on that mess. 88% of christian children come out of the PS system walking away from their faith, leaving 12% that still hold those convictions.
If that's the case, how is it possible that there are still so many Christians in the US? Only a couple generations in public school should have pretty much wiped out Christianity by now. :tongue_smilie: Or are we talking a very specific "Christian worldview?"

I would NEVER say I am "more" christian, or think someone else "less" christian...I certainly don't have any authority on that mess. 88% of christian children come out of the PS system walking away from their faith, leaving 12% that still hold those convictions. I understand that it is possible. Is that a field that I want my children to battle alone and HOPE they are among the 12%? no

Could my children still walk away from their faith after I homeschool them? definitely Do I think my statistics will be more to my favor by keeping them out of the PS? absolutely

I don't necessarily accept the numbers you cite as fact. The Pew Research Group came up with very different numbers, which show only 18% of students leave their faith when they graduate.

http://www.relevantchildrensministry.com/2011/11/recent-study-shows-that-only-18-of-kids.html

If that's the case, how is it possible that there are still so many Christians in the US? Only a couple generations in public school should have pretty much wiped out Christianity by now. :tongue_smilie: Or are we talking a very specific "Christian worldview?"

Perhaps. Calling yourself a christian and BEING one are sometimes two very different things.

That has always made me raise my eyebrows a bit when I see these percentages. They also just don't seem to fit with what I observe.

I'm sort of giggling here imagining my kindergartener trying to view the alphabet and addition through a biblical lens. I send my daughter to school to learn skills and content. I teach my daughter how to think critically about what she has learned.