Menu

Let's Talk Ice Cream Makers

First, let's assume you bought ice cream on a regular basis (or would like to, but can't afford it, like us). Would having an ice cream maker save you money? Or are the ingredients just as costly?

Second, assuming you use it to make frozen yogurt.....would it be healthier to make it yourself, from scratch?

Finally, assuming it's worth it to actually own one......what do you recommend? Do you have one and love it? Or did you buy one and wish you hadn't? Why?

I think I want one for Mother's Day. DS should really be dairy free, and I'm thinking maybe I could make him ice cream that he could actually eat without paying for it with tummy troubles. Not to mention....I really like ice cream, but don't ever buy it due to cost.

We bought the Cuisinart ICE-21 for Christmas, and it is great! We are dairy free, and buying coconut, almond, or rice milk ice cream was just waaaay too expensive. Now I can buy coconut milk while it's on sale, and I can make super yummy, fresh ice cream!

The only problem I have with homemade ice cream is that it doesn't last very long in the freezer. It tends to develop frost quickly--but that could be because I don't have anything special to store it in? I put it in a glass container, put plastic wrap pressed down over the ice cream, then put the lid on. But honestly, in our family it's not too hard to down the whole thing of ice cream in a couple of days, so storage isn't too big of an issue. Ha!

I think the ingredients are just as costly.

However, I feel a lot better when we eat our homemade ice cream which does not contain the preservatives store-bought ice cream does.

I also like being able to make whatever flavor we are in the mood for right then if I have the ingredients, versus going to the store.

I have this one from Williams-Sonoma and LOVE it:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cuisinart-ice-cream-maker-extra-freezer-bowl/?pkey=e%7Cice%2Bcream%7C17%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C2&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Feature_Recipe_Rule%7CTop_Wide_Agrarian%20-%20copy-_-

I have owned several ice cream makers and this is by far my favorite...easy to use, easy to clean. ;)

We use both containers often, so I like having two. If you need only one, Kohl's has the same model, currently on sale, *and* you can earn Kohl's cash, *and* take an additional percentage off if you have a Kohl's charge card.

Hope this helps!

I got one (free with kohls cash) and I have two huge reasons for getting it. One is that we have no a /c and so I try not to bake when it gets hot. This way we can have a dessert. Secondly, store icecream (except the expensive ones) make me horribly sick. And I'm not lactose intolerant. So now I can control the ingredients.

I think the ingredients are just as costly.

However, I feel a lot better when we eat our homemade ice cream which does not contain the preservatives store-bought ice cream does.

I also like being able to make whatever flavor we are in the mood for right then if I have the ingredients, versus going to the store.

I have this one from Williams-Sonoma and LOVE it:

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cuisinart-ice-cream-maker-extra-freezer-bowl/?pkey=e%7Cice%2Bcream%7C17%7Cbest%7C0%7C1%7C24%7C%7C2&cm_src=PRODUCTSEARCH||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_-Feature_Recipe_Rule%7CTop_Wide_Agrarian%20-%20copy-_-

I have owned several ice cream makers and this is by far my favorite...easy to use, easy to clean. ;)

We use both containers often, so I like having two. If you need only one, Kohl's has the same model, currently on sale, *and* you can earn Kohl's cash, *and* take an additional percentage off if you have a Kohl's charge card.

Hope this helps!

Hmmm.....that one is $60 on Amazon. I was actually thinking for $6 more, maybe THIS one would be better?!?

I've been earning Amazon gift cards by being part of an online consumer feedback forum and have a few unused ones. I could make up the rest with the cash I've made from selling the kids clothes :)

Decisions, decisions. Have I mentioned that I really love ice cream?

Hmmm.....that one is $60 on Amazon. I was actually thinking for $6 more, maybe THIS one would be better?!?

I've been earning Amazon gift cards by being part of an online consumer feedback forum and have a few unused ones. I could make up the rest with the cash I've made from selling the kids clothes :)

That is what I would do! Williams-Sonoma sells that one also and buyers there rate it 4.7 out of 5 with 253 out of 264 people recommending it.

I *love* ice cream also. DD10 made "light chocolate ice cream" yesterday. The recipe called for a homemade dark chocolate syrup that you put into the ice cream (not on it). It was wooonnnnderful!

Hmmmmm.....maybe your next thread should be asking for favorite ice cream recipes!;)

The only problem I have with homemade ice cream is that it doesn't last very long in the freezer. It tends to develop frost quickly--but that could be because I don't have anything special to store it in?

1. You must get Ben & Jerry's recipe book. They have perfected a recipe for any ice cream you ever would want to make.

2. Love my Donvier; don't know anything about more modern options.

3. Those big plastic yogurt tubs (the 4-cup size) are absolutely perfect for storing ice cream in the freezer, and they wash up nicely in the dishwasher.

4. Make sure there's money in your budget for Weight Watchers membership, because the ice cream is just that good. ;)

We have the Kitchenaid ice cream maker. I prefer the custard style ice cream made with eggs. So when I make ice cream I usually need around 8 eggs, 2 cups of cream, milk and then the flavorings. If I'm making vanilla I like to use a real vanilla bean and if there's going to be chocolate I get good stuff.

So no. It's not cost effective. at. all! It's also very time consuming, so you just can't throw together a batch when you've got a craving. But it's so much fun, tastes a gazillion times better and you know exactly what's in it.

Old fashioned homemade ice cream is a little more soupy and less creamy that store-bought ice cream. Not that you can't buy heavy cream and do a custard ice cream if you want. If you are doing it to save money, then I don't necessary think you will. If you are doing it to control what goes into your ice cream, then you can definite do that. If you are doing it to have some interesting and delicious ice cream, well that is really up to the recipes you use and the ingredients and your tastes.

I have the previous model from this one and love it. My only issue is that it doesn't make enough for the 7 of us. I'm buying another one tomorrow at Costco. I think it is on sale for $30 right now.

I have that one and LOVE it!!! I also recommend the Ben and Jerry's book a pper mentioned. I don't find the ingredients all that expensive. Cream, sugar, egg, milk and flavoring. That's pretty much it.

I also bought a second insert for mine so I can always have one ready to go. I just store them in my big upright freezer so they are always ready to go.

ETA: I also found a place that sells the cardboard cartons like ice cream store use on amazon that we're pretty reasonable, but as someone mentioned old yogurt tubs work too. I've never tried making frozen yogurt. May have to try that.

I have the previous version of the one that is $60 on amazon (ICE 20) and if I were buying one right now, I'd absolutely go for the bigger one.

One important thing to remember about these is to get the bowl back into the freezer asap. Don't let it warm up any longer than you have to.

Pretty much anyone who had trouble with theirs left the bowl out too long.

I have wanted one of these.

Can you make 3 more immediately afterwards? The problem is, we need more than 3 at a time!

Dawn

we have a zoku popsicle maker. it makes popsicles in 10 minutes. we use juice, yogurt, nutella and banana pops, etc. anyway, just wanted to throw another fun idea out there:)

• 2 weeks later...

My kids did a project on make it yourself vs. store bought, and the store brand (not the super, super bargain, but the regular store brand) was significantly cheaper than ingredients, which were about the same as the premium ice cream. (Bread was similar, by the way, which kind of surprised me.)

If you're looking for something cost-effective, I second the popsicle maker -- you can get a creamy texture with just a little bit of yogurt and a lot more juice -- a combo which doesn't freeze well in the ice cream maker.

We have a cuisinart ice cream maker. I can't find the box, and I don't remember the model number. I love that I can make exactly the flavor we want and control the ingredients - I always use less sugar than called for, sometimes WAY less. I also love that a simple flavor that doesn't require cooking anything in advance can be done in 20-25 minutes if you are okay with soft-serve. I have a few of those recipes stashed.

I don't love that it makes rather small batches, though really that is probably better for us healthwise, lol. Also, it isn't really any cheaper than buying ice cream. Especially if your favorite flavor calls for large quantities of quality dark chocolate.

We haven't used ours in months because I've been trying (and failing) to go sugar free, but ds just asked about it yesterday so I bet we will make a batch this week!

We have one like this although ours has yellowed with age (at least 15 years old)

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-20-Automatic-2-Quart-Cream/dp/B00000JGRT/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1337529566&sr=1-5

My son has issues with dairy and can eat homemade ice cream with no problem but if he eats cold stone or some other brands he will be doubled over in pain.

Another vote for the Ben & Jerrys ice cream book.

I have that 2 qt Cuisinart, and I love it. Just don' t let anyone sneak in after you emptied the container before washing and scoop the last of it out with a metal spoon :glare:

I need to get an extra bowl for ours so I can make two kinds. As far as cost, yes it's cheaper to make your own depending what ingredients you use. If you need allergy friendly ice cream then that stuff is the hugest rip off imaginable in the store. I buy cream and coconut milk from a restaurant supply store or costco.

I make the "old fashioned" vanilla bean kind without eggs, as DD is intolerant. Coconut milk ice cream is heaven in a bowl, seriously. And strawberry coconut milk ice cream, Oh my.

I think ours is a cuisinart iceless machine. It came in bright colors so my mom gave them to us as Easter presents :) she thought they looked like Easter eggs. It is quick and easy, but you cannot make two batches in a row. The bowl has to be refrozen after use. Once you rinse it out, it is completely thawed. It does make just enough for our family for dinner. We use heavy cream and eggs, so ours is not cheaper, just better. :)