Menu

Why are Cuisenaire Rods so better than multi-link cubes?

Seems like everyone here uses Cuisenaire Rods (or wants them). Why are they so much better than multi-link cubes?

DD's in SM 1A (number bonds section). We have several multi-link cubes that we're using. If Cuisenaire Rods are far superior, are they something I need to rush to buy, or will our multi-link cubes work well enough until I sniff out a deal? (I'm sure the multi-link cubes work since that's what is used in SM, but...)

Also, is there a specific brand I should look for? I pretty much just see Learning Resources brand on Amazon.

They help kids see the number not as a bunch of ones put together, but as the whole number, which helps kids move away from counting out and toward breaking numbers into component parts instead.

And I'm probably not describing that very well or using the right terms though...:tongue_smilie:

Seems like everyone here uses Cuisenaire Rods (or wants them). Why are they so much better than multi-link cubes?

I'm curious about this, too! I've seen so many people mention them on here, but I can't see the difference between them and multi-link cubes. But, of course, I've only looked at them online and the pictures aren't very good! :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for any info!

They help kids see the number not as a bunch of ones put together, but as the whole number, which helps kids move away from counting out and toward breaking numbers into component parts instead.

And I'm probably not describing that very well or using the right terms though...:tongue_smilie:

:iagree: I think you said it well!

No, that helps me a lot, actually. :001_smile:

Does each rod have a number on it? Or, does the child still have to count out the blocks even though they are melded together?

Some people make their own, and there are also two-colored sticks that I think are popular in montessori classes.

I've done way more with linking cubes, way way more. I find c rods boring. I have put zero effort into using them. I have the wood rods, by the way, and they are soft wood. One has the imprint of my kid's teeth in it.

Really? That may help my dd! Was going to get more cubes for next year buut I think I'll get the rods!

No, that helps me a lot, actually. :001_smile:

Does each rod have a number on it? Or, does the child still have to count out the blocks even though they are melded together?

The rods have no numbers, but dd quickly learned that white is one, red is two, light green is three, etc. We did a few exercises to learn the colors, making stairs and playing hiding games.

When we use them, I call the rods by their numbers, "When we add 1 + 2, what is the total? Find the one-rod and the two-rod and tell me, 1 + 2 equals?" Dd then pulls out the white and red, puts them end-to-end, and compares it to various rods until she finds that the red and white rods make 3 or the light green rod.

Dd was counting the individual blocks when she was using the multi-link cubes. When using the c-rods, she can quickly see that the whole number 2 plus the whole number 3 equals 5 without wasting time counting. C-rods have also helped with my older child in learning fractions.

I like them and I think they enhance the kids' math studies. Plus they make nifty Eiffel towers.

So, are these the only brand then?

41kJWQxB0UL._AA160_.jpg

Yes, Cuisenaire is the only company that makes the rods.

Base 10 blocks are similar to c-rods.

I like to start with Mathematics Made Meaningful. It's very easy to use--you just start with the first task card, which is to dump the rods on a table and let the children put them into groups according to color, then mess them up, then put them into groups according to size. Wow! They're the same groups!:D The children work with the rods quite a bit before they give actual number value to the rods (e.g., white =1, red = 2). MMM teaches some pretty advanced concepts with the rods. I was surprised. :)

I think they both have their uses. I agree that the c-rods help kids move away from counting, but I also personally believe that it's a good thing to count individual cubes in the beginning and SEE how they add up (though I realize this opinion is controversial). We've also been using linking cubes (not the multi-linking, just the regular ones) recently to play around with place value concepts. We have and use them both.:)

Oops! I misspoke. That's what we're currently using too. I was/am considering buying multi-link cubes...that's one reason I'm asking about the Cuisenaire Rods.

I think they both have their uses. I agree that the c-rods help kids move away from counting, but I also personally believe that it's a good thing to count individual cubes in the beginning and SEE how they add up (though I realize this opinion is controversial). We've also been using linking cubes (not the multi-linking, just the regular ones) recently to play around with place value concepts. We have and use them both.:)

:iagree::iagree: I LOVE C-rods for multiplication. It breaks the "count each cube" cycle and teaches to work with each number as a group. I have linking cubes for place value and C-rods for group number work.

I too tired to give a fully reasoned response (but have on numerous occasions in the past). Let's say I'm firmly of the opinion that classic Cuisenaire Rods are a fantastic concrete manipulative for teaching the whole-parts mathematics in Singapore.

They are like number-bonds, they are like the bar-diagrams used in the word problems, they are the Singapore Math Model in concrete form.

The multi-link cubes are a very poor alternative IMO.

Bill

The dense material of the so-called "plastic" ones is preferable to the soft wood to me. The quality is better. Were the wood ones finely milled from rock-maple (or something) it would be a be a different story, but they are something a child could leave teeth marks in for sure.

Bill

Not just "could" -- "do." :D

I have a "chewer" too. The plastic ones are intact. I doubt a wood set would have been ;)

It is not a huge deal either way. As I said, if there were really high quality sets made of hard-wood, and perhaps painted with milk-paint (that I would afford) then, sure, give me a wood set. But to me the current wood ones feel "cheap", where the plastic ones do not.

Bill

I have a "chewer" too. The plastic ones are intact. I doubt a wood set would have been ;)

It is not a huge deal either way. As I said, if there were really high quality sets made of hard-wood, and perhaps painted with milk-paint (that I would afford) then, sure, give me a wood set. But to me the current wood ones feel "cheap", where the plastic ones do not.

Bill

A determined child can leave nice teeth marks in the plastic ones, too. FYI. :glare:

Here's how I used the C-rods (I've not tried multi-link cubes, btw... I use C-rods with Singapore):

1) Let the kid play with the rods, play some games from that little intro to C-rods book that is on the web, build staircases to see the fact that each rod is one more than the one below it.

2) Let the kid find out that each C-rod is the appropriate number via lining up unit cubes (so light green is 3 unit cubes, so it must be 3!).

3) Start using them. Most 4 year olds will have the color/number association figured out long before you do. :tongue_smilie:

4) For adding, I have DS "make a train" and see which rod matches that train. For missing addend, have DS stick the rods next to each other and fill in the one that is missing. Again, most 4 year olds will quickly figure this out... You have 7 and a 3 next to each other... obviously a 4 goes in the hole! Do the same thing for subtraction, since missing addend is the same as subtracting. ;)

5) For adding over 10, we again "make a train", then grab the ten rod and whatever rod goes with it. We're easily seeing how to make a 10, without actually learning to do it yet. Sneaky, eh?

We're still in the K book (almost done, and he's totally ready for 1A now). DS is picking up his addition and subtraction facts from "seeing" the C-rods. He's likely VSL, so these are a great visual for him. Using the C-rods goes a bit faster because you aren't sitting there counting. You know that light green is 3. You call it the 3 rod automatically. I personally still get confused with 7,8,9, but my son doesn't confuse them at all. As I said, most 4 year olds will get it quicker than you do. :tongue_smilie:

As Bill said, the C-rods mimic the bar models in Singapore. When we are doing addition or subtraction or missing addend, it's just like setting up the bar models for a word problem.

Another reason to not have notches in your C-rods is that you can also use them for other numbers, fractions, etc. This is easier if you don't have that glaring "this notch is one" thing going on. ;)

I was skeptical about the rods at first. I thought we would need something that could be counted. Then I tried them out and saw how quickly my 4 year old took to them and understood math. I'm a believer now!

We have the plastic set. It's a nice, strong plastic. It actually feels and looks a bit like wood. They're very strong. We don't have any teeth marks in ours. :lol: (though DS2 has put them in his mouth at times)

Okay, so plastic, non-connecting it is. (They do have connecting ones, by the way.)

One more quick question. Does your child use the rods all of the time or only when he/she needs to figure something out? I'm trying to get DD to visualize in her head. So far, she's been pretty successful at doing so.

Okay, so plastic, non-connecting it is. (They do have connecting ones, by the way.)

One more quick question. Does your child use the rods all of the time or only when he/she needs to figure something out? I'm trying to get DD to visualize in her head. So far, she's been pretty successful at doing so.

My dc are allowed to use rods whenever they want. Ds8 using Sing. PM 4B doesn't ever use them anymore. He has gotten pretty good at drawing his own bar diagrams for word problems. Ds6 uses them often with both Singapore PM 1A and Miquon. He's still getting the hang of making tens. He can do it in his head but prefers to see it.

I also teach with them most of the time.

Here's how I used the C-rods (I've not tried multi-link cubes, btw... I use C-rods with Singapore):

1) Let the kid play with the rods, play some games from that little intro to C-rods book that is on the web, build staircases to see the fact that each rod is one more than the one below it.

2) Let the kid find out that each C-rod is the appropriate number via lining up unit cubes (so light green is 3 unit cubes, so it must be 3!).

3) Start using them. Most 4 year olds will have the color/number association figured out long before you do. :tongue_smilie:

4) For adding, I have DS "make a train" and see which rod matches that train. For missing addend, have DS stick the rods next to each other and fill in the one that is missing. Again, most 4 year olds will quickly figure this out... You have 7 and a 3 next to each other... obviously a 4 goes in the hole! Do the same thing for subtraction, since missing addend is the same as subtracting. ;)

5) For adding over 10, we again "make a train", then grab the ten rod and whatever rod goes with it. We're easily seeing how to make a 10, without actually learning to do it yet. Sneaky, eh?

We're still in the K book (almost done, and he's totally ready for 1A now). DS is picking up his addition and subtraction facts from "seeing" the C-rods. He's likely VSL, so these are a great visual for him. Using the C-rods goes a bit faster because you aren't sitting there counting. You know that light green is 3. You call it the 3 rod automatically. I personally still get confused with 7,8,9, but my son doesn't confuse them at all. As I said, most 4 year olds will get it quicker than you do. :tongue_smilie:

As Bill said, the C-rods mimic the bar models in Singapore. When we are doing addition or subtraction or missing addend, it's just like setting up the bar models for a word problem.

Another reason to not have notches in your C-rods is that you can also use them for other numbers, fractions, etc. This is easier if you don't have that glaring "this notch is one" thing going on. ;)

I was skeptical about the rods at first. I thought we would need something that could be counted. Then I tried them out and saw how quickly my 4 year old took to them and understood math. I'm a believer now!

We have the plastic set. It's a nice, strong plastic. It actually feels and looks a bit like wood. They're very strong. We don't have any teeth marks in ours. :lol: (though DS2 has put them in his mouth at times)

Great examples!

Bill

I only use manipulatives until the child no longer needs them. My oldest never used them, except for one day when we were first introducing the going over tens concept. Other than that, he's never needed them. He's my abstract thinker. My middle one uses them for most of his lessons, but will write down the answer if he knows it without using the rods. I would not be surprised if he no longer needs them past 1st grade math, but we'll see. This is my child whom I can never figure out or predict. He constantly surprises me. :)

I would not force manipulatives on a child that doesn't need to use them, but I do make them available for one that does need them.

The linking ones are not real Cuisenaire Rods. I know they are branded as such by the company that has rights to use the name, but they are not the tool designed by Georges Cuisenaire, and I imagine he must be spinning in his grave to have a product so antithetical to his own bear his name.

I am offended on his behalf :D

There is no hard-and-fast rule here. I think most people (and it was the case with me) allow their children free access to the rods, neither requiring or proscribing their use. And children generally tend to use them as they are useful and as they are skill building, and then naturally wean themselves as they no longer require them.

My son (now nearing 8) has not used C Rods to "calculate" answers for a very long time. Their use just slipped away once he derived the understanding the rods helped provide.

We still do pull them out to demonstrate concepts.

We have used them to demonstrate the importance of the Distributive Law in multiplication.

We have used them for work involving fractions.

We have used base-10 flats with C Rods for introductions to decimals, with the value of a "flat" (ordinarily a 100 value) being reassigned as a 1-Unit (One) value, with Orange Rods (ordinarily 10) becoming 1-Tenth and the other rods becoming Hundreths.

We have played with demonstrating the mathematical reasoning for re-grouping, such as using rods to show:

7+5+3=

7+3+5 (Commutitive Law)=

(7+3)+5 (Associative Law)=

10+5=

This week I broke them out to show "exponents." They were an easy way to demonstrate the concept of "squares" and "cubes" (the latter being limited to 2 to the third power due to the limits of my set).

I can't say the C Rods are always necessary for demonstrating sme of these more "advanced" concepts, but for my boy they seem to help cement the understanding so it is easy enough to pull them out for a few minutes now and again and then pack them back up.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

Thanks, everyone!

I think I'll use them to present lessons and then just let her use them when she feels like it or needs a little help. I guess it won't hurt her to use them just for fun. If she knows which ones to pull right off, I would assume she knows the material.

• 2 weeks later...