Menu

New Online Course Using Beast Academy

• 2 weeks later...
Is anyone registering for this class? I'm considering this for dd7. I'm also looking at Mythology on Wed mornings for dd9.

:bigear:

DD is very interested. She's almost 7 too. We focused heavily on fairy tales and mythology last year and this year.

I noticed at the bottom of the page that students get a free subscription to Brain Pop for that semester of enrollment.

• 2 weeks later...

Registration is open.

I asked Kirsten about Beast and she said,

"My vision for Beast Academy Mathematics is to maximize the socialization aspect through online learning, extra activities, and discussions about what we are learning and how we can use the concepts in our everyday lives (or an imaginary life ;-). I'm looking forward to using the curriculum!"

I'm sold. :)

Registration is open.

I asked Kirsten about Beast and she said,

"My vision for Beast Academy Mathematics is to maximize the socialization aspect through online learning, extra activities, and discussions about what we are learning and how we can use the concepts in our everyday lives (or an imaginary life ;-). I'm looking forward to using the curriculum!"

I'm sold. :)

Beast C and D for you then? Any other classes?

I registered for Beast A/B on Tuesdays at 9. We'll do C/D in the spring if the class is a good fit. Dd9 will do Mythology and World Geo on Weds. :)

Thanks, Beth.

Do the kids get to see each other? Or hear each other? I've never joined a webinar or online class. I think DD will be very excited to meet your girls since we've been looking at your blog.

Thanks, Beth.

Do the kids get to see each other? Or hear each other? I've never joined a webinar or online class. I think DD will be very excited to meet your girls since we've been looking at your blog.

Not sure. I'm assuming it's like Potter's School. Teacher is on camera, the students will be on audio/text. Interactive White Board. I could be wrong. Kirsten is great. Just email and ask.

My oldest DS took the Mythology class 2 years ago and has taken six other classes at Athena's and OnlineG3. We have been very happy with ALL of them (though we use the classes as enrichment, so DS does not do all of the assignments).

My 2nd DS will be taking the Beast Academy class (though I am HOPING Kirsten adds a second section at 9 AM on Monday as we have a schedule conflict with Tuesday classes) and the Intermediate Literature class. My oldest will be taking the Mythology class on Thursdays and a Lightning Literature class at OnlineG3.

There are no cameras involved in the classes at all. It uses the elluminate environment if you want to look it up. Students are required to have headphones with a microphone. The instructor has a whiteboard/powerpoint style presentation and leads the discussion. There is a typing chat field ongoing during the class, and there is a way for students to talk when given access to the microphone (so there are no problems with kids talking over each other). There is a list of assignments to be completed throughout the week (mostly links to websites, BrainPop videos, and a couple of actual assignments), plus a list of chapters to read.