Menu

Knitting washcloths

Ok, I'm a beginner knitter and I need advice regarding yarn. I'd like to knit some basic washcloths to use in the kitchen. What kind of yarn do I need to use for this project? A washable cotton? What brand is good? TIA!!

Yes, you need to use cotton yarn. Peaches & Cream is a common brand and easily available. Lion Brand also makes a cotton yarn; I think it is just called Lion Cotton.

Are you a member of Ravelry? If not, I highly recommend it! Go to ravelry.com and apply for membership. It's free and they have a VERY well-organized site. You can search for patterns, yarns, read reviews of them, participate in forums, etc.

Happy knitting!

Yes, you need to use cotton yarn. Peaches & Cream is a common brand and easily available. Lion Brand also makes a cotton yarn; I think it is just called Lion Cotton.

Are you a member of Ravelry? If not, I highly recommend it! Go to ravelry.com and apply for membership. It's free and they have a VERY well-organized site. You can search for patterns, yarns, read reviews of them, participate in forums, etc.

Happy knitting!

Lilly's Sugar and Cream is good. It's a sturdy cotton yarn. Our washcloths made of it have held up well.

I have crocheted washcloths from Peaches & Cream and Sugar & Cream yarn. Love them both!

Along with the cottons recommended get yourself a pair of 9" needles size US7. (I have a pair of these in bamboo just for knitting dishcloths.) I think the Hobby Lobby cotton is slightly thinner and might work better with a US6. And if you want a tighter cloth then go with a smaller needle like US6 or even US5.

I love knitting dishcloths though working with cotton can be a bit hard on the hands. Enjoy!

Thank you ladies!! I do have a Hobby Lobby in town. I also have some cheap acrylic on hand. Maybe I'll start with that for a good scrubbing washcloth. I have a set of size 8 bamboo needles. I'll pick up a size 7 or 6 depending on what cotton yarn I buy. At some point I'll probably subscribe to Ravelry, but I just haven't done it.

Like previous posters, I like the Sugar 'n Cream cotton.

This is my favorite dishcloth pattern:

MATERIALS

Lily® Sugar’n Cream® Naturals (56.7 g/2 oz)

1 ball of #02013 (Terra Firma).

Size 5.5 mm (U.S. 9) knitting needles or size needed to obtain gauge.

GAUGE

16 sts and 30 rows = 4 ins [10 cm] in garter st.

INSTRUCTIONS

Cast on 3 sts.

1st row: (RS). Knit.

2nd row: K1. Inc 1 st in next st. Knit to end of row.

Rep last row to 53 sts.

Next row: K2. K2tog. Knit to end of row.

Rep last row to 3 sts. Cast off.