Menu

Having another baby and so afraid of going another year with no sleep.

This is our 5th baby, but 4th living child as long as all goes well that is.

Out of all of our children they have all started sleeping through the night early on at about 6-8wks old. BUT then they all start waking again around 4-5 months old. Since we are having our next one soon and I just got my nights back from our 17 month old 5 months ago I am dreading going another year with a night waking baby.

Here are the circumstances. I have nursed all of them and started solids around 5 months old. They don't co-sleep after 3 months because I can't sleep with a wriggling baby from that point on. So for about the first three months with two out of the three they slept in bed with us. oving to their crip at 3 months and doing fine for the first month in the crib. With our 2nd though she never co-slept, she was always oo noisy of a sleeper and would keep me awake. So from about 4wks on she slept in her crib and did well up until 4 months of age. Then started waking three or more time a night again. Two have been binky babies and one (the youngest) a thumb sucker. He (the youngest) has been the best sleeper so far. He started sleeping through at 6wks old and moved to his crip at 3 1/2 months and was sleeping 10 or more hours a night until 5 1/2 months old when he started waking again. Two or three times a night.

Here is what we have tried.

Feeding more solids

Feeding less solids

Crying it out

Having a regular schedule

co-sleeping (this won't work for me)

And probably other things I am forgetting due to sleep deprivation.

Please help I don't want to go through this again. It takes some of the joy out of parenting a baby :/

Tried motrin until the doc told me to stop and use tylenol instead. The motrin was working some nights and not others. The tylenol never worked for more than a few hours. Do you really think it could be teething for that long of a period? I always wondered.. but it doesn't seem other people's babies do that for that long.

I know you said you didn't want to co-sleep, but have you tried sidecarring a crib next to your bed? That was the best thing we ever did. I could slide the babies into it for sleep and out of it for nursing. When they were old enough to roll, they rolled away from me into that extra space. It didn't stop the night waking, but it did allow me to get a lot more sleep than nursing elsewhere would have.

It would require a drop-side/removable-side crib though--not sure if anyone uses those anymore...

I know you said you didn't want to co-sleep, but have you tried sidecarring a crib next to your bed? That was the best thing we ever did. I could slide the babies into it for sleep and out of it for nursing. When they were old enough to roll, they rolled away from me into that extra space. It didn't stop the night waking, but it did allow me to get a lot more sleep than nursing elsewhere would have.

It would require a drop-side/removable-side crib though--not sure if anyone uses those anymore...

Have not tried this. Did try having the crib in our room though and that almost seemed to make it worse. He would wake every time I moved practically..

My good sleepers started waking at around 5 or 6 month, too. I think it's the teething process. Tylenol is lame and offers little relief. I used Hyland's teething tablets and the colic tablets. They helped a LOT and are natural.

I kept the cot/crib next to my bed even though I understand about noisy sleepers. You could add a white noise to the room to help you and baby sleep better.

I know how you feel and can sense your desperation. Those are tough months.

My good sleepers started waking at around 5 or 6 month, too. I think it's the teething process. Tylenol is lame and offers little relief. I used Hyland's teething tablets and the colic tablets. They helped a LOT and are natural.

I kept the cot/crib next to my bed even though I understand about noisy sleepers. You could add a white noise to the room to help you and baby sleep better.

I know how you feel and can sense your desperation. Those are tough months.

Out of all of our children they have all started sleeping through the night early on at about 6-8wks old. BUT then they all start waking again around 4-5 months old. Since we are having our next one soon and I just got my nights back from our 17 month old 5 months ago I am dreading going another year with a night waking baby.

I completely understand how you feel, and I felt exactly the same way with our surprise #5. I cried and cried when I found out I was pregnant. Most of my despair was sleep related. I don't do sleep deprivation well.

My favorite sleep book of all time is Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Weissbluth. I can't recommend it enough. This book will help you determine how much the average child should be sleeping at various ages and what the average sleeping pattern should look like. Then, it will give you fabulous suggestions on how to get your child to improve his/her sleep patterns. I have used the advice in this book for all of my children.

With that being said, all of my children have slept through the night and then regressed, just like yours have. If I remember correctly, it's usually when they start phasing out the later night nap and going to bed earlier in the evening. I assumed that the earlier bedtime would result in a longer nighttime sleep period, but it didn't really. They weren't ready for a longer sleep period without eating, so what happened is that they started their longer sleep period earlier in the evening (like 8 or 9) and then woke up in the early morning hours to eat before finishing their night sleep.

Have not tried this. Did try having the crib in our room though and that almost seemed to make it worse. He would wake every time I moved practically..

If you've not tried sidecar, give it a shot. Two babies, both sidecar, great sleep. The trick is to make sure everything is securely together, no gap. Then have the crib mattress be just a little bit lower than yours, so you can roll him, shoop!, right back into his pen when you're done nursing him. Never put him between you and the father.

We used the Highlands tablets too and Calm Child.

If you've not tried sidecar, give it a shot. Two babies, both sidecar, great sleep. The trick is to make sure everything is securely together, no gap. Then have the crib mattress be just a little bit lower than yours, so you can roll him, shoop!, right back into his pen when you're done nursing him. Never put him between you and the father.

We used the Highlands tablets too and Calm Child.

What brand of co-sleeper did you use? I've co-slept with all of my kids, but I do it by pushing our bed against the wall and having the baby sleep between me and the wall. Worked fine for the first three, but getting in and out of bed has been a pain for me this time around!

(Sorry for the thread hijack OP....)

What brand of co-sleeper did you use? I've co-slept with all of my kids, but I do it by pushing our bed against the wall and having the baby sleep between me and the wall. Worked fine for the first three, but getting in and out of bed has been a pain for me this time around!

(Sorry for the thread hijack OP....)

Not a co-sleeper. I used an actual crib with one side removed. That way he had a full, normal size crib mattress and plenty of room to move and stretch. He was born 11lb 1oz, and well my dd was born 9lb4oz, so those sidecar things hehe looked pretty small. And that's why I could adjust the mattress up and down, because it was an actual crib. And because the mattress and crib is good and sturdy, you can lean into it yourself and you aren't going to hurt anything. It's still up in my room in fact. I keep my ipad there at night and lean over and read or do piddley things for a while before I got to sleep. That way the light doesn't disturb dh.

As far as getting into bed, well there's about a 1 1/2 foot difference in the lenght of the crib and our queen bed, so I get in that way or climbing over the end (no footboard). If you have a footboard, it's still do-able. The trick is to have a crib with low sides so you can lay the baby down over it when you put them down. I had ordered a regular Jenny Lind when I bought this one and by some mystery or providence received a sleigh style (rolled top) instead. The ends are kind of low where the long side is really high. Made it easy when he was little to just lay him in.

I don't know, it just worked out really well for us. I've only had two babies, but they were radically different. Dd wanted to be right there beside me, oy, and I needed space. She got shoved into her pen a lot! Ds on the other hand didn't want to sleep near me and wanted space to stretch. So he'd actually crawl over on his own, just to get the space. You just never know.

If you aren't sleeping well, have you considered you also might need to take some calcium and magnesium? Seriously, it might not be just the baby thing. Nursing lots of babies is draining. I take 6 calcium and 3 magnesium (enough for a full daily dose for the brand I take) every single day, religiously.

was for Daddy to be the parent on duty during middle of the night wakings after about six months. He wasn't the parent they really wanted, didn't smell right, couldn't nurse, etc. - so they didn't continue as long. I wore ear plugs and slept fine, knowing they were in good hands. He offered a quick snuggle and some water. I knew if there were anything wrong, he would know and wake me if necessary. They all figured out that night waking wasn't that satisfying, so they didn't do it for long. The end.

I know people don't like this advice, because Daddy has to go to work in the morning and needs his sleep. But it really did work!

another baby is amazing and wonderful. take them to bed with you so you can sleep while the nurse; fussy baby = boob in mouth.

neither of mine STTN till 3, the older not till 5. :001_smile:

I'd trade places with you in a heart beat -- what is a little sleep in exchange for a BABY

Both mine started sleeping through the night around 2 1/2 with me doing nothing, even with them sidecar and right there. And yes, I'd lose a little sleep for another baby. But we won't talk about that, since it clearly distresses you. Ten years from now it won't anymore. (Notice the gap on mine.) :)

another baby is amazing and wonderful. take them to bed with you so you can sleep while the nurse; fussy baby = boob in mouth.

neither of mine STTN till 3, the older not till 5. :001_smile:

I'd trade places with you in a heart beat -- what is a little sleep in exchange for a BABY

Both mine started sleeping through the night around 2 1/2 with me doing nothing, even with them sidecar and right there. And yes, I'd lose a little sleep for another baby. But we won't talk about that, since it clearly distresses you. Ten years from now it won't anymore. (Notice the gap on mine.) :)

Yes, another baby is totally worth it. Especially when you have to work as hard as I do to get them here on time and not too early. :) I just know that when I get sleep deprived I snap at my other kiddos and life gets kind of chaotic for those five-six months of no sleep. So I was hoping that with this one I could find the magic cure :tongue_smilie: I will try the crib next to the bed if it gets to that point again. Thanks!

I completely understand how you feel, and I felt exactly the same way with our surprise #5. I cried and cried when I found out I was pregnant. Most of my despair was sleep related. I don't do sleep deprivation well.

My favorite sleep book of all time is Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Weissbluth. I can't recommend it enough. This book will help you determine how much the average child should be sleeping at various ages and what the average sleeping pattern should look like. Then, it will give you fabulous suggestions on how to get your child to improve his/her sleep patterns. I have used the advice in this book for all of my children.

With that being said, all of my children have slept through the night and then regressed, just like yours have. If I remember correctly, it's usually when they start phasing out the later night nap and going to bed earlier in the evening. I assumed that the earlier bedtime would result in a longer nighttime sleep period, but it didn't really. They weren't ready for a longer sleep period without eating, so what happened is that they started their longer sleep period earlier in the evening (like 8 or 9) and then woke up in the early morning hours to eat before finishing their night sleep.

The book she mentions is fantastic!

was for Daddy to be the parent on duty during middle of the night wakings after about six months. He wasn't the parent they really wanted, didn't smell right, couldn't nurse, etc. - so they didn't continue as long. I wore ear plugs and slept fine, knowing they were in good hands. He offered a quick snuggle and some water. I knew if there were anything wrong, he would know and wake me if necessary. They all figured out that night waking wasn't that satisfying, so they didn't do it for long. The end.

I know people don't like this advice, because Daddy has to go to work in the morning and needs his sleep. But it really did work!

I have mentioned this to my husband with the last two babies. Maybe he will be more willing this time. I do feel bad making him get up though when he has to work. Did your husband have to do it for a long time?

I will have to get this book. One of the peds I saw recommended it too with our last baby. I read so many books I can't remember if I ended up reading this one or not.

Well, when you've been pregnant and/or nursing for over a decade and haven't slept through a full night for most of that time, sleep is HUGE. :D

This wasn't to pick on you, but rather to let the OP know that I 'get' it. If you want more babies and are ready for them, it's easy to see a half-full glass. When you're struggling with your reality, it's really, really tough. My devastation over #5 is still pretty raw, and the OP's post hit home for me. I still vividly remember crying all night long after my positive pregnancy test and trying to convince my dh I wasn't really in labor while I was at the hospital giving birth. My little guy is fabulous, but I am a huge proponent of abstinence at this point in my life. :D

Well, when you've been pregnant and/or nursing for over a decade and haven't slept through a full night for most of that time, sleep is HUGE. :D

This wasn't to pick on you, but rather to let the OP know that I 'get' it. If you want more babies and are ready for them, it's easy to see a half-full glass. When you're struggling with your reality, it's really, really tough. My devastation over #5 is still pretty raw, and the OP's post hit home for me. I still vividly remember crying all night long after my positive pregnancy test and trying to convince my dh I wasn't really in labor while I was at the hospital giving birth. My little guy is fabulous, but I am a huge proponent of abstinence at this point in my life. :D

:D Thanks for understanding! I know the other poster was just saying how special babies are, but it does get hard when you still don't feel caught up from the one before.

I don't have any advice on getting a baby to sleep all night, my last two didn't do that until they were over 2. My youngest was adopted at birth and what really helped was that I did get a break in that she took a bottle. My first two never would.

Maybe once your milk is established you could even have 2 nights to catch up, even fri/sat. Just having that to look forward to may help. Plan those nights to go to bed early, nurse once in the early night, put in earplugs and have your husband get up for the rest of the feedings. Sometimes that doesn't work though, if you get too full and wake up anyway.

Sorry, I know what you are feeling. I somedays would like #4, then one of my kids will wake up at night and I think NO NO NO, I can't do that again. It really is torture.