Menu

Fun stops to make - I have 5 days to get from Seattle to Salt Lake City.

I've never really been to the States before and I don't know what to go and see. It will be dh and I and the three boys (12, 10, 6).

We were thinking maybe Yellowstone. We don't mind driving out of the way to get to things, as long as we make it to Salt Lake in five days.

Is there anything in Boise, Idaho?

Are there any detours we should make?

I'm up for historical and natural sites and cool museums or even neat tours - I hear Boeing does a tour of their plant. Dh and the kids want to do something fun (theme parks? playgrounds?).

What's worth seeing?

Sarah

Yellowstone is not on the way from Seattle to Salt Lake. I mean I guess you could techinally do it but you'd probably feel rushed and want more time. Still, there is a lot to see between those two places! See Mt. Rainier. Bonneville Salt Flats. Craters of the Moon in Idaho...at the end of that route I think there is a waterpark in Salt Lake...

Edited by jar7709

Are you looking for things to do in Salt Lake as well? Or just things to do en route?

In Salt Lake, too. We'll be there for two days.

So far we're thinking maybe we'll do the Boeing plant tour, then head up to Silverwood, then down to Yellowstone? I just have no clue what's around. I just found out about Boeing and I think that will be really cool.

I've never really been to the States before and I don't know what to go and see. It will be dh and I and the three boys (12, 10, 6).

We were thinking maybe Yellowstone. We don't mind driving out of the way to get to things, as long as we make it to Salt Lake in five days.

I would head down the coast to the Sea Lion Caves in Oregon, then head over to Crater Lake. But I've been to Yellowstone.

Yellowstone is really awesome, but it's hard to do in a day.

Boise is a nice little city. I've been there visiting friends, but haven't done any touristy stuff.

I would head down the coast to the Sea Lion Caves in Oregon, then head over to Crater Lake. But I've been to Yellowstone.

Yellowstone is really awesome, but it's hard to do in a day.

Boise is a nice little city. I've been there visiting friends, but haven't done any touristy stuff.

My hesitation with this route would be just how *middle-of-nowhere* the route from Crater Lake to SLC would be, unless you due south to Hwy 80 in California before turning east, which would take you through Sacramento, a few of the Gold Rush towns, Donner Pass and Reno, as well as straight through the middle of the Salt Flats once you got to Utah.

Dry Fall is interesting. My boys loved the Fort in Walla Walla. They liked camping at Palouse Falls. Portland Science Museum is good. You could do Yellowstone or the Great Salt Flats or that fab cave that is south of SLC.

Timpanogos? It IS a fabulous cave, but quiet the hike! (~ a mile uphill to get to the mouth of the cave)

Timpanogos is just South of SLC.

When are you coming? Some great attractions aren't open until summer. I think there is a 6 flags in Idaho?

Just 1 freeway exit south of SLC is an amazing dinosaur museum! It is huge, all inside and interactive. Great for kids and adults. It is a must see IMHO. I'm a member and take my kids weekly. I can get any amount of guests in 1/2 off if you are interested. It makes it much more affordable.

Timpanogos is just South of SLC.

When are you coming? Some great attractions aren't open until summer. I think there is a 6 flags in Idaho?

Just 1 freeway exit south of SLC is an amazing dinosaur museum! It is huge, all inside and interactive. Great for kids and adults. It is a must see IMHO. I'm a member and take my kids weekly. I can get any amount of guests in 1/2 off if you are interested. It makes it much more affordable.

Are you talking about Thanksgiving Point? LOOOOOVE that place! Their botanical gardens are gorgeous too. :)

Not sure whether this will be possible, but the Sawtooth National Forest and the Salmon-Challis National Forest are incredible. Google "Sawtooth Wilderness" I think for some incredible hikes. But I suspect it would not even be possible for you, because I do have friends in Salt Lake City and was not able to visit them during the time I went to the Sawtooth Mountains.

Julie

Ok, well if you're staying right in Salt Lake, I recommend Temple Square and City Creek Center...right in the middle of downtown. Gateway is a few blocks to the west, and there's additional shopping, plus a planetarium with an IMAX theatre, and a fun children's museum.

Hogle Zoo is also in Salt Lake and lots of fun.

If you're north of Salt Lake (and your visit is after Memorial Day), Lagoon is a great amusement park in Farmington. It also has a waterpark, if it's especially hot. There is also a free museum attached to Hill Air Force Base, with tons of cool airplanes to see.

South of Salt Lake, there's Thanksgiving Point, as others have mentioned. Lots of road construction in Utah county right now, so plan for that if you're on a tight schedule.

HTH

Are you talking about Thanksgiving Point? LOOOOOVE that place! Their botanical gardens are gorgeous too. :)

Yes, Thanksgiving Point! The gardens are amazing too. My kids love the easy walk to the top of the massive waterfalls. Its a great picture opportunity! We go at least weekly to the gardens. The Tulip Festival just ended sadly. Its amazing!

The Treehouse museum in Ogden is wonderful! Their target age is 1-12.

Are there any detours we should make?

I'm up for historical and natural sites and cool museums or even neat tours - I hear Boeing does a tour of their plant. Dh and the kids want to do something fun (theme parks? playgrounds?).

What's worth seeing?

Sarah

here's the link for my homeschool group's washington state field trip suggestions.

the boeing factory tour is in Everett - about 45 minutes to an hour north of Seattle. It is 90 minutes, and reservations are suggested. there is a 4' (approx 1.28M) height requirement (no exceptions). the Boeing Museum of Flight is in South Seattle, and would be a great companion. lots of free parking both places. If you're going to be in Seattle - do take a ferry boat ride.

If weather permits - go to Mt. Rainier - no sense coming this far and not go there. it's a two hour each way drive. It is 14,410 ft tall, and has the most extensive glacial system in the lower 48 states. Lots of visitor centers that have very informative presentations. (eta: if you go to Mt Rainier -then you can tag on Mt. St. Helen's and see the recovery from the 1980 eruption. even little kids find it interesting.)

Are you driving? Grand Coulee Dam in Eastern Washington. It has tours.

If you want to be different and go south and through portland, OR, the Maryhill museum has a recreation of Stonehenge. :D

Cabbage Hill - aka: Deadman's pass is just east of Pendelton Oregon (and if you're driving, you'll go up it.) - has a great overlook, provided it's not super hazy, which it seems to often be when we've driven it. Hollywood likes to use it for "runaway truck" scenes. There's a reason they call it "deadman's pass".

we found a great place to eat in La Grande when we went through in late March. Thirsty's? Not sure the current name, but they had huge (basic, but pretty good) breakfast portions. 1502 S Ave La Grande,OR 97850 (just off the freeway, and you're going through La Gande)

The snake river gorge is worth a short stop, and is rather impressive.

If you choose to do yellowstone - the Grand Tetons in WY are very close by.

Edited by gardenmom5

we found a great place to eat in La Grande when we went through in late March. Thirsty's? Not sure the current name, but they had huge (basic, but pretty good) breakfast portions. 1502 S Ave La Grande,OR 97850 (just off the freeway, and you're going through La Gande)

Yes, yes. La Grande, BTW, is a lovely little place (I would like to retire there, but probably won't), and you can head east from there into very rural areas, or keep going south-east towards SLC.

If you end up doing one day in Yellowstone, we have entered through the West Yellowstone entrance and driven down to Old Faithful. We watch the geyser and visit the museum (they updated it a few years ago and it is GREAT). We spend all afternoon down there, then drive out. We have pizza in West Yellowstone for dinner. We've done this twice as a day trip from Idaho Falls.

Things to do in SLC...

1. Go to Antelope Island.

2. Dip your toes in the Great Salt Lake.

3. Go to Park City and visit the Olympic Center. Go bobsledding if you are brave.

3. Don't go to the aquarium. We went all the time when we lived there, but it's not a tourist destination. It's very small.

4. Thanksgiving Point is very fun.

5. The Discovery Children's Museum downtown is fun if you have small kids.

6. The new Natural History Museum is beautiful.

7. The zoo is pretty and inexpensive. It isn't huge, but it's very family friendly.

8. If you've never been to Temple Square, go. If you are LDS, I'm sure you've been. If you aren't LDS, you would still probably find it very interesting.

9. Check on my house and make sure my renters are taking care of it. :tongue_smilie:

If you cross down to Portland, then take I84 towards Salt Lake, I know a few things. (I have a couple of uncles in the Portland area and have made the drive from Utah to there a couple of times with my kids.)

OMSI in Portland is fantastic! My kids especially like the submarine. Just east of Portland are several spectacular water falls just off the freeway. We've done the hike at Multnomah Falls and one other, maybe Bridal Veil?

There are several Oregon Trail interpretative centers along there, too. We've only visited the one in Baker City in Eastern Oregon, since my mom lives in Baker. It's pretty good. Smallish, but you can hike out to see ruts from the wagon wheels.

In Boise, we've been to their children's museum. It's small, but well done.

The Malad Gorge makes a good picnic stop. The walk across the bridge is pretty impressive, but it doesn't have a visitor center, just an on your honor fee box and a couple of sign about the area right by the bridge. There is a playground/picnic area on one of the loops, though.

We've done some pretty interesting geocaching along the I-84 route, too, if your family is into it.

We stopped at Craters of the Moon once, pre-kids. It was pretty cool, but you need sturdy shoes as the lava rock is sharp. (I cut up my cheap sneakers quite a bit.) I don't remember distances. It would be along your route if you divert to Yellowstone from Boise.

The Golden Spike National Historical Site is about 45 minutes off I-15 in Northern Utah either way you come down into Utah.

Edited by Maus
Added some links and finished a sentence.

I also don't think I'd try to see Yellowstone on that schedule. I LOVE Yellowstone, but you'd spend most of the five days driving and not have a lot of time to see anything in there.

I think the drive between Seattle and Boise is generally pretty boring if you're going the quickest way (I-90/I-82/I-84), but there are a few places to see that some have mentioned. If you're okay with a longer drive, I like to stay on I-90 all the way to Couer d'Alene (or witha detour to Grand Coulee) in northern Idaho and then head south on 95 through eastern Idaho. There are many Nez Perce sites along that route, and it's just a pretty route by itself.

A quick stop in Hells Canyons can be fun, or there are many places all through the whole area (western Oregon and Washington, and all over Idaho and Utah) where you can go rafting. I've mostly been in SE Idaho, but that's hardly the only place for rafting. I also think Craters of the Moon is fun.

I also think it's very worthwhile to go to Mt Rainer National Park and down to Mt. St. Helens. But then you'd probably continue on to Portland and take I-84 most of the way. Portland is a great city to visit.

This might sound weird, but there's a fun rest stop outside Boise with some short hikes and geological markers. While Boise is a nice little place to live, it's not all that exciting to visit, and I'd probably skip it to get on to better things.

And I second the geocaching. You can probably find better ideas of places to see from that than anything.

What a fun trip. We've almost never had that much time when we've driven in those areas, so I'm jealous.