Menu

A question for Kindle users

Or any ereader really. How do you organize your books on your device? Right now, I've just got pages of books in alphabetical order. I am thinking of creating collections per genre, like mystery, fiction, etc. I just wondered if I'm thinking too organized. :)

I do sort my books. Right now I have a general fiction collection, but I also have folders for certain authors or series. I have a few non-fiction folders sorted by general subject. I don't have that many book on my Kindle, but as/if I add more I might get more specific.

I've got one folder for library books, one for "current reads", one for books I've downloaded for my son to read, and then some by genre if I want it on the kindle rather than archived and I've read it. Also one for homeschool resources :)

I go by genre in categories that make sense to me. I have obvious categories like Literature (adult), children's literature, contemporary (recent releases, mostly non-fiction), and poetry. Then I have not-so-obvious categories like Plutarch (a number of resources I have for Plutarch) and then others such as my children's books for each year of school or just a category. I also have a category of books I think my husband would like - the category is simply his name.

But all of my books are sorted onto one or more shelves. And within their categories, I keep them in order by author because I like to remember who went to all the trouble of writing them (and I once worked in a library and that's how libraries are organized within categories).

On Kindle you can make a "collection" like a folder. I do most of mine by subject - one called Kids so they know where their stuff is, one for school-type stuff, one for home stuff, one for misc fiction. If you have a Kindle reader on computer or phone or whatever, you can sync your collections too.

"Nightstand" collection for books that I am currently reading.

"Bookstore" for samples.

"Shelf" for books I own but haven't read.

If I have finished it, it goes to the archive.

"School" for things I am reading to the kids for school.

"Hebrew/Greek" for language study.

"Church bag" for scriptures and similar.

"Misc" for, you know.