Menu

if you have done WTM style 1st grade for language arts....

kesmom

How many days a week did you do the following?

FFL

WWE

spelling (we do AAS)

I'm just working on schedule options for DD next year, but I'm just not sure how I would set these three up.

Thanks!

Edited by kesmom
clarifying

FFL

WWE

spelling (we do AAS)

I'm thinking of setting up more of a block type schedule for DD next year, but I'm just not sure how I would set these up.

Thanks!

We are wrapping up first grade.

FFL - 4 days as week

WWE - 4 days a week, 2 days copywork and 2 days narration

Spelling - 4 days

The reason we do 4 days is because we do Classical Conversations one day a week. For the summer, we'll ramp it up to 5 days a week. Although, I think we'll review the concepts from FFL 1 over the summer instead of delving into FF2.

FLL1 is designed for 3 days per week.

WWE1 is designed for 4 days per week, though you could easily combine days 1 and 2, since one of those has no writing, making it 3 days.

AAS works best if you're using it fairly often, so 4 or 5 days per week would be ideal.

WWE 4 x a week

For 1st grade we used Spelling Workout. It worked well to do 4 days a week.

FLL- I'd say on average 2-3 x a week. I skipped a lot of the copywork and narration in FLL as we were doing it elsewhere. I used mostly my own choices of poems for memorization. We worked on poem memorization mostly 4 days a week, but on a different schedule than the book. So cutting out all that, doing the grammar lessons 2-3 times a week had us easily finish FLL in a year.

FFL

WWE

spelling (we do AAS)

I'm thinking of setting up more of a block type schedule for DD next year, but I'm just not sure how I would set these up.

Thanks!

We did FLL 3x/week, WWE 4x/week, and spelling (WRTR) 3-4x/week.

One tiny bit of advice - I don't think I'd make a block schedule for a young child. That is, if you mean that you will do all of FLL for the year before moving on to all of WWE for the year before moving on to off of the spelling for the year. (maybe I am misunderstanding, though) It's better for younger kids to have consistent practice in these skill areas.

Thanks again everyone!

One tiny bit of advice - I don't think I'd make a block schedule for a young child. That is, if you mean that you will do all of FLL for the year before moving on to all of WWE for the year before moving on to off of the spelling for the year. (maybe I am misunderstanding, though) It's better for younger kids to have consistent practice in these skill areas.

Maybe block schedule is not the right term, as that was definitely not what I had in mind. :) We will do all three throughout the year.

Thanks again everyone!

Maybe block schedule is not the right term, as that was definitely not what I had in mind. :) We will do all three throughout the year.

OK, sorry about that! I thought it was a little odd for a 5yo to be on a block schedule. :D I should have asked first, but I didn't think to do so. :blushing: When I hear that term, I think of when high schoolers cram a whole year's worth of Algebra into one semester, and then cram a year's worth of, say, Biology into the next semester; instead of doing them both all year long. Effectively, "blocking" algebra into bigger blocks of time each week, then doing the same for biology.

Just finishing up 1st grade here.

FLL 4x/week

WWE 4x/week

AAS 4x/week

We've gone through FLL 1&2 (the old blue hardback book) because we could, the lessons are short and easy and dd really wanted to do them. Plus, I skipped the narration and copywork since she's doing WWE. And, we have just worked through the poem memorization in the order they are presented in the book, but not at the times the book says to introduce them, when she's got one down, we just go on to the next, reviewing all the memorized ones every couple of weeks.

Now, being #4, dd was begging to do a grammar and a spelling program last year in K. I put her off till 1st, telling her she had to finish phonics before we could start grammar and spelling. She finished phonics about 2 months into 1st grade, so we started FLL and AAS then, but we did start WWE at the beginning of 1st grade.:)