Menu

Dog neutering question...

"Trip" is our white German Shepherd puppy.

He is 54 lbs (as of today) and will be 4 months old May 1st.

Trip has an umbilical hernia that we have been 'watching' since birth (doggie mom cut the cord at the skin). Usually these get better--but Trip's has begun to grow. Vet is concerned.

Our plan was to wait and have the hernia taken care of when he was neutered. According to our agreement with the breeder this was to be done no earlier than 7 months. I tend to agree that later is better--especially with larger breeds...

Vet wants to do the hernia surgery as soon as possible. He also wants to neuter at that time. So now my question:

Does anyone have experience with neutering large breed dogs early?

Is it worth the risk (health wise) for him to have 2 separate surgeries 3-4 months apart? (It would save $$$ to do them both together).

This is apparently VERY controversial--so online searches have not helped me make a decision.

There is a lot of argument that it causes increases risks of developing hip problems when neutering/spaying early.

Now with that said. The majority of my xlarge Anatolians were always done earlier. Anywhere from 12 weeks to 6 months. None developed hip issues. I evaluate hips,elbows and thyroid as they age and so I have proof for my dogs from the years.

However, it could void your warranty with the breeder and I think i would be talking to them about it. The hernia increasing in size is not good though and that sounds like it does need to be corrected sooner rather than later.

Healthwise for the added anesthesia, if you check blood values before surgery. Request IV fluids throughout the procedures and check the heart then most of the time it is fine.

I would check with the breeder first though because the cost of reparing the hernia might be compensated for as well. At least breeders that I know would so it might be something to check out.

This puppy is a 'replacement' pup for our dog who died of a RARE cancer last fall. That warranty had expired (2 year health warranty and dog was 3.5 yrs). The breeder keeps health records and requests any illness be reported. When I did she immediately put us on the list for the next litter (she has an average of 2 litters each year).

Trip was 'pick of his litter'-- we were actually down for the 2nd litter of 2012. His people were unable to take him when he was ready-- and we 'switched' places.

Our current contract states neutering no earlier than 7 months--but before 1 yr. Our vet had originally agreed to do the hernia repair at time of neutering for no additional fee (we've practically paid for his son's college the past few years!).

If we go with 2 surgeries we pay full cost for the hernia repair. I can't ask the breeder to reimburse that-- she gave us a $1500 pup already! Really, it is not about the added cost-- it is more about what is best for our little guy (if you can call a 54 pound 3 month old little :lol:).

Our collie had a umbilical hernia that had to be repaired when he was 3 months old, and he was neutered at the same time. I made my decision based on our vet's recommendation, to save Ted from having to undergo surgery twice. This was 9.5 years ago.

Nothing bad ever happened to him as a result. He was really big for a collie -- 100 lb. healthy weight when he grew up.

He never lifted his leg when he peed. Then again, I waited until Aidan was 14 months old to get him neutered, and he has yet to lift his leg.

Edited by RoughCollie

I wonder what the breeder is going to say...

And you know, there are risks to surgery. Granted they are low but there are still risks. I would probably do both at once if this were my dog and I do delay neutering in large dogs (when it's an issue. My latest dog is a rescue who came neutered.)

Given the fact he needs surgery now... I'd do the neuter along with it.

I have Danes... I have read up on the issues with large or giant breeds and neutering. If I were in your shoes, I'd neuter him while he's already under.

Trust YOUR VET.

A breeder can become a breeder . . . by leaving two dogs alone in the backyard for a few weeks.

To become a vet, s/he goes to school for about, uh, 105 years.

If you don't trust your vet's advice on medical matters, then, please find a different vet who you do trust.

Trust YOUR VET.

A breeder can become a breeder . . . by leaving two dogs alone in the backyard for a few weeks.

To become a vet, s/he goes to school for about, uh, 105 years.

If you don't trust your vet's advice on medical matters, then, please find a different vet who you do trust.

Well, yes and no. Normally that's how I would feel except my current vet wanted my dog to go on special food; when I looked at the ingredients, it was full of known allergens and my dog is prone. :glare: I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt that she just hadn't a chance to look at that part of his chart.

However, he had surgery for swallowing a sewing needle :eek: and so we had him neutered at the same time. I don't think a good vet would recommend it if it were not in the best interest of the dog.