Menu

O.M.G. Is this where standardized testing has led us??? (Robots grading writing)

If you read through the comments on the NYT article, you'll see several commenters who have been paid to score standardized test essays for Pearson and ETS. They report being given 2-3 minutes to score each essay. The rubrics prioritize things like length, number of paragraphs, and connecting words, rather than a well-developed idea. They don't have time to assess how well the ideas are developed.

Given this context, it's ironic that the e-Rater proponents claim that it grades "as well as a human." As well as a human given 2 minutes, a banal rubric, and intense pressure to produce results that agree with another rater's? Sure. As well as a human thoughtfully grading an essay? Hardly.

If you read through the comments on the NYT article, you'll see several commenters who have been paid to score standardized test essays for Pearson and ETS. They report being given 2-3 minutes to score each essay. The rubrics prioritize things like length, number of paragraphs, and connecting words, rather than a well-developed idea. They don't have time to assess how well the ideas are developed.

Given this context, it's ironic that the e-Rater proponents claim that it grades "as well as a human." As well as a human given 2 minutes, a banal rubric, and intense pressure to produce results that agree with another rater's? Sure. As well as a human thoughtfully grading an essay? Hardly.[/QUOT

I wonder how much time is allotted to grading SAT essays.

OH, WOW. So, students do not need to know how to write, just master the test prep, and the testing company is OK with that....yikes!

"E.T.S. officials say that Mr. Perelman’s test prep advice is too complex for most students to absorb; if they can, they’re using the higher level of thinking the test seeks to reward anyway. In other words, if they’re smart enough to master such sophisticated test prep, they deserve a 6."

Edited by Trilliums

I read a long article about this once. It was very disturbing. Your college admission or how much scholarship money you might be offered can be drastically affected by your standardized test scores and the way they are graded is ridiculous. People with very little training, are pressured to grade as many essays as possible as quickly as possible. The testing center wants a certain number of each grade. If they start to realize that they are awarding too many low scores, they will tell the graders to award more high scores. And vice versa. Something as ridiculous as the length of the essay will matter more than how well expressed the ideas in the essay are. They have to follow their little formula and if a grader deviates from that because they think that the essays should be graded on actual quality of thought, they will be reprimanded. It's pretty crazy.

I was particularly amused by this quote in his "grade 6" essay : "And that's the real reason for education, to get those good grades without thinking too much and using up too much time." :lol: Yeah....seems to be the core of the problem here. I think I would like Mr. Perelman to teach my children. The robot graders, though, is an appalling idea! It is only a short time before teachers start using the robo-graders guidelines as their own so that schools can get better rankings.....yikes.

Elaine

You all are missing the point entirely. Didn't you read that stellar essay? It is the fault of all Teacher Assistants. They are to blame for everything...I bet it is because of them that the e-rater robo grader failed to properly grade that essay.

Darn Teacher Assistants....ruining everything.

You all are missing the point entirely. Didn't you read that stellar essay? It is the fault of all Teacher Assistants. They are to blame for everything...I bet it is because of them that the e-rater robo grader failed to properly grade that essay.

:lol::lol:

Well, they're too busy starring in feature films to really TA. Priorities, you know.

Edited by LemonPie

My daughter is in ps high school and she has to turn in her English papers online to be graded ... one of them is at turnitin.com

It is my understanding that the teachers have so many students that they don't read every paper... or assign as many as they used to.

turnitin.com is a plagiarism analysis program. It checks the kids' essays against each other, against Wikipedia, and against papers for sale on the web.

Given this context, it's ironic that the e-Rater proponents claim that it grades "as well as a human." As well as a human given 2 minutes, a banal rubric, and intense pressure to produce results that agree with another rater's? Sure. As well as a human thoughtfully grading an essay? Hardly.

"How I Gamed the SAT"

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/la-op-sat3apr03,0,2463944.story

Edited by Onceuponatime

Interesting article.

This was a discouraging quote, though he followed it with some useful tips.

Length doesn't always mean a better score, but I would advise any kid: Write at least a page and a quarter. Nobody who got one of the top scores wrote one page or less. A few essays that struck me as clear, terse, logical and readable got strangely mediocre scores. More sadly, the test will reflect poorly on many a fine thinker and writer who contemplates deeply and composes through careful honing.