Menu

snap circuits for older kids?

I know there are a ton of threads on these, but almost all of them are for younger kids. I want to get dd12 some to play with this summer, just to see if this kind of thing interests her.

If you had $100-150 to spend on your 12yo, what would you get?

Also, anything I should know?

Tia

I know there are a ton of threads on these, but almost all of them are for younger kids. I want to get dd12 some to play with this summer, just to see if this kind of thing interests her.

If you had $100-150 to spend on your 12yo, what would you get?

Also, anything I should know?

Tia

Only if you get the Extreme Student Guide as well (covers all basic kits through the 750). There is no "why" or "how" in the basic guides that come with the sets.

http://cs-sales.net/exstgu75.html

Student Guide for Electronic Snap Circuits

8,10,12 all use snap circuits. But the 10 and 12 use the guide for their science this semester with free videos from Georgia Public Broadcasting in their physics classes.

The guide as all of the "why" and compares different circuits to learn what the different components do in a circuit.

I'm eyeballing the "green" set next that adds to snap circuits.

Happy Hunting.

I personally wouldn't buy Snap Circuits for an older child. They are a good intro for younger children, but at that age - and that price range - I would opt for an electronics learning lab.

Hmm...do you recommend anything specific?

To the others, I would need the extreme student guide and the 750 set?

Edited by vcoots

To the others, I would need the exreme student guide and the 750 set?

Yup, and this is more than adequate for initial exposure and exploration, even at twelve. :001_smile:

You might also take a look at Quick Study Labs. They provide electronics classes for homeschoolers using the Snap Circuit kits. There is a free summer club starting in May which might be worth trying out. A number of people have posted enthusiastic reviews of QSL.

The instructor recommends the 750 kit for younger students and this lab for older students.

You might also take a look at Quick Study Labs. They provide electronics classes for homeschoolers using the Snap Circuit kits. There is a free summer club starting in May which might be worth trying out. A number of people have posted enthusiastic reviews of QSL.

The instructor recommends the 750 kit for younger students and this lab for older students.

Thanks for this! I'll check it out.

Nothing wrong with snap circuits for older kids! I love them too and I'm an engineer. They really help you understand what's going on (especially if you get the extra guide). I got an electronics kit in HS because I wanted to understand my AP physics class better...it did nothing for me. I wish I'd had access to snap circuits! Brownie

I bought this Supercharged Science kit for my 10 and 11 year old. They watch the DVD demo, then do one of the projects. This morning they have been working on making a trip-wire alarm. They are having a blast and learning a lot about circuits as well.

http://www.christianbook.com/electricity-robotics-kit/pd/725003?item_code=WW&netp_id=581875&event=ESRCG&view=details#curr

ETA - I made my guys watch the Bill Nye safety smart DVD before they started any experiments. It talks about electrical circuits and how to stay safe.

http://www.amazon.com/Safety-Smart-Science-Classroom-Edition/dp/B001NZF1OQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1335282204&sr=1-1

Edited by my2boysteacher

I prefer Thames and Kosmos science kits. They have electronic kits that are made for 12 and up. I also love LEGO Mindstorm but that is spendy.

I'm really enjoying the price on the Thames and Kosmos Electronic Learning Circuits kit. :D I don't want to invest too much money into something she may have no interest in.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'm going to let her look over everything and see what pops out at her.

Yup, and this is more than adequate for initial exposure and exploration, even at twelve. :001_smile:

Especially if child is not confident/coordinated enough to do well at more "grown up" circuits. Snap circuits cut through the screwdriver part and you can more rapidly compare things. We (both kid and I) like the screwdriver parts, but I'm sure many people don't. My goal is for him to learn the theory from SC and THEN practice the screwdriver end of things, not trying to learn both at the same time.

• 4 weeks later...
Especially if child is not confident/coordinated enough to do well at more "grown up" circuits. Snap circuits cut through the screwdriver part and you can more rapidly compare things. We (both kid and I) like the screwdriver parts, but I'm sure many people don't. My goal is for him to learn the theory from SC and THEN practice the screwdriver end of things, not trying to learn both at the same time.

Thanks for mentioning the screwdriver part. I didn't even think about my son and how he'd manage the screwdriver with his muscle delays. Good to know ahead of time. Thanks!

Only if you get the Extreme Student Guide as well (covers all basic kits through the 750). There is no "why" or "how" in the basic guides that come with the sets.

http://cs-sales.net/exstgu75.html

We have this and I am hoping to get together a middle school group to go through the guide and do some work designing their own circuits. It would be cool if it led to making real electronics,but we will see what comes out of it. With snap circuits, you can make and take apart a lot of projects quickly while you are learning the concepts, then apply that when making other things later.

I ended up buying the 500 kit and the Extreme Guide. DD has put three of the experiments together and really likes it. I'm hoping to build some with her using the guide so she can understand what she's doing and not just follow the steps.